34 coaches online • Server time: 17:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigBear

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2004 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Lmao
I personally have no problems waiting 5 mins for some one to finish something they doing
Now 30 Mins that took the Biscuit Razz
Trekamp

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Kenty wrote:
Just curious... is it really difficult to answer the phone and play bloodbowl at the same time? I have seen an increase in the amount of coaches who stop playing for like 5 minutes to answer a call.

I personally have answered the phone while playing and don't find it all that difficult. I do turn the volume on my speakers down so the person I am talking to doesn't hear all the nifty sounds from the client.... but other than that... it seems to be ok to do two things at once.

-Geeze..... This is sad

Just curious... is it really so hard to understand that someone in this place might want to prioritise their life towards the "real" world, and actually pay attention when talking to another person, who they might even know, instead of letting some complete stranger wait for 5 minutes...???

Well, maybe my sense of logic is screwed......must stay in here longer

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

instead of letting some complete stranger wait for 5 minutes...???

So a complete stranger's time is worth LESS then someone you know? Courtesy shouldn't be saved only for close friends.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

SonofSharkboy wrote:
Wives either

Yeah, right? I only tend to play when my wife is at work...or I am! Very Happy
Trekamp

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Quote:

So a complete stranger's time is worth LESS then someone you know? Courtesy shouldn't be saved only for close friends.

True Mully, but if it comes down to prioritising and having to choose.....yeah, then my time goes to my friends.

I didn´t imply in any way, that you shouldn´t be courtious with people you play against, just underlining the fact that if I had to choose among

1: Half a conversation on a phone with a friend and half a game of BB
or
2: A present phone conversation or whatever, and letting my opponent wait for a couple of minutes.

I choose 2, and to me its a simple choice.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Trekamp wrote:
Mully wrote:
Quote:

True Mully, but if it comes down to prioritising and having to choose.....yeah, then my time goes to my friends.

I didn´t imply in any way, that you shouldn´t be courtious with people you play against, just underlining the fact that if I had to choose among

or
2: A present phone conversation or whatever, and letting my opponent wait for a couple of minutes.

If youre gonna spend ten min on the phone then tell your buddy to call you back later. When you agree to a game you agree to spending up to what, 2 hours in game. That means more or less without pauses, or only short ones.
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I like a short break every now and again, something likeif my opponent says phone, be a coupla mins, ill use type in np, ill go have a ciggie then < assuming its his move > if its mine ill finish it out or till a point where he has to pick an apo or something etc , or go ask the wife to repeat what she said to me whilst i was playing and completely have no idea what she said but the vague feeling i better be sure of what it was.....that sorta thing, can come in handy. And yeh, i agree its the perfect thing to type should your wife say something like " Hon, can you grab this thing from the top shelf" etc. because i on dialup its only going to be phone if its my mobile going off, HEHE.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

SunTzu, no problem with me if you do that, but never would i keep a friend waiting before a game of bb!!

Simple question, simple answer (in my world anyways)

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankly, I prefer the phone excuse, or the even more generic brb (as long as it's < 5 min). My opponnent once said he was off to dinner and would be back in 5 min. The awful part is that he was. Hate to think what/how he was eating. Similar rationale for posts above--too much information.

It would be handy for Ski to program bb to gain focus when it was your turn again though. Often (as mentioned above) I play as far as I can get and then do something else (like bang away on some php code). Would be nice to not have to flip back to bb periodically to see if there's life on the other end yet.

Speaking of life on the other end I'm all for it. If your significant other calls and you know it will be quick, then do yourself a favor and give them your undivided attention. This will pay big dividends and is a very very small sacrifice to make (albiet you're asking an online friend to make a sacrifice as well). That said, you should plan ahead for your games. I had an opponnent say he was cooking dinner once. This resulted in several long pauses including a 9 min gap before he began setting up for 2nd half (with no prior explanation). That's just messed up.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

or

Well that's true.

But speaking of having to leave. I played a good BB friend (thankfully) about a month ago and wasn't feeling well. Fortunately I warned him of this before we started. Sure enough about 3 turns in I had to type "be back in 10" as I rushed to the bathrooom to watch my bowels explode. I apologize for the delay and he was understanding.

I can honestly say that this delay was UNAVOIDABLE !

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:

But speaking of having to leave. I played a good BB friend (thankfully) about a month ago and wasn't feeling well. Fortunately I warned him of this before we started. Sure enough about 3 turns in I had to type "be back in 10" as I rushed to the bathrooom to watch my bowels explode. I apologize for the delay and he was understanding.

I can honestly say that this delay was UNAVOIDABLE !

Aw, c'mon dude! Get a laptop and wireless LAN fer chrissake! Or the GW Colostomy Bag is an option... Wink
SunTzu

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Trekamp wrote:
SunTzu, no problem with me if you do that, but never would i keep a friend waiting before a game of bb!!

Simple question, simple answer (in my world anyways)

You seem to have a strange way of valueing commitment and personal worth...

What do u do if a buddy shows up in the middle of the game? You leave?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

banana_fish900 wrote:
...It would be handy for Ski to program bb to gain focus when it was your turn again though...

I think that'd be an OS-specific API thing. I don't imagine that good, cross-platform, actually standards-compliant Java can do that. In fact it was designed not to override OS operations for security purposes.

Also, think of how annoying it would be if you were in the middle of typing some embarrassing email when JBB popped to the fore and you ended up accidentally telling your opponent how you tried the "enlarge your penis" pills and they don't really work.

What? Doesn't everyone write emails like that? ... anyone...?

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Some good points BadMrMojo

If Ski is using Java AWT, then he should be ok to do this (not sure though, haven't programmed Java in years).

Also agreed on how it might be annoying to have the window gain focus. If you can set an option to enable fumbbl login shouldn't be too much trouble to add one for whether or not you want the bb client to gain focus.
Kenty

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really mind when it's once a game. I've just run into games where it's like 3 or 4 times and often for 5-10 mintes at a time. Just gets a bit frustrating. Trog did warn me once pregame that he would have to leave if there was a fire.... but that I was cool with. Smile
 Jump to: