13 coaches online • Server time: 02:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MLenip

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

I used to play 3rd Ed as a kid (still have the original box and cardboard cutout characters!).

I have started to play a little online (chaos ed. recently and BBII but they are generally full of chaos teams and not much else).

I'm looking to develop an Ogre team (yeah I know not a great starter team but I've played Dwarves, Norse and Bretonians and not a huge fan of the more common teams (humans, elves, orcs)). There's not, unsurprisingly, a lot of material about playstyle of this team out there (except the old versions with 11 ogres) I've started a team with 4 ogres and 9 snots plus 3 rr but really can't get the hang of kickoff/receive positioning (except that you always stick 3 ogres on the front and hide the snots). Any guidance would be useful
Smile
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You have indeed picked a tough team. I'd also hazard to say that on FUMBBL, it would be an even tougher team.

There are lots of Ogre players on the site, so I'm sure you'll get a response forthwith...

Here too of course:

https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6OgreStrategy

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Other (possibly more competitive) options, if you're looking to try a team that's a bit different could be Vampires, Slann, Lizardmen, Undead, Underworld ..

I mean, if you're dead set on Ogres, I'm sure you can have some fun with them, but as a new coach on here, I would expect to lose a lot.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't take vampires, Bloodlust is a bit bugged.

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres can be competitive when you get a +AG+AG ogre, and if you play Halflings 30% of the time.
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=510076

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It says something interesting about Cyanide players coming to Fumbbl's forum on a regular basis, yet they still play there and not here.

Jeffro
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
It says something interesting about Cyanide players coming to Fumbbl's forum on a regular basis, yet they still play there and not here.

I play a lot of Cyanide but make sure and keep up to date on my FUMBBL donations. I don't want to be a freeloader!

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
Ogres can be competitive when you get a +AG+AG ogre, and if you play Halflings 30% of the time.
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=510076

AG4 ogres are equally good if you never play vs flings

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:

that they love bloodbowl?

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Is the Ogre piece in the help section the one done by Strider84? It doesn't say who wrote it but if it was Strider, listen to the man. Wink
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 19:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Really dude, take a better team.

Slann
Vampire
Khemri
Underworld
Pro Elf

All can be challenging and fun.

But Ogres are absurdly bad.

I do not coach them, but my tips:
Start with at least 5. 3 for LOS and one for each side, giving you at least some defence.

Avoid elves, try to face teams that 5 ogres can still dominate. Oddly Dwarf are quite a good match up for rookie ogres. Anything that cant get away from them easily.

Do not rely on snots for anything, they are unspeakably crap.

only make snot cages if you want to be laughed at. Titchy means no cages.

Expect to lose, take solace in draws.

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres can be fun though it is a bit wearing when you suffer a few thrashings in a short sequence of games. Obviously you need the Ogres to hit hard. Break Tackle comes in handy. Snotlings are dreadful but the ttm chance if you have statups or also diving tackle or fouling skills can help. Bonehead on its own can spoil promising drives. But when things go well it really raises your spirits! They are definitely better at low tv due to the ratio of skill cost v player cost on snotlings, that you may not face much claw and tackle, and that both snots and ogres need doubles for general skills.

Here are some Ogre tactics threads to peruse. Come and play some matches on FUMBBL! But I would recommend mixing it up a bit with a couple of other races to use and switch between.

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=23463&highlight=ogre+tactics

https://www.fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25997&highlight=ogre+tactics

https://www.fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27949&highlight=ogre+tactics

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:

that they love bloodbowl?

What I find interesting is that the Cyanide community doesn't have the same support system as Fumbbl. Even though they are relatable questions, some guys come on here only to ask those questions. They Pay to play on Cyanide, but come to here, which is essentially free, to get playing advice. Its odd in my own mind.

Im not shooting down the guy, Im saying I find it interesting.

Jeffro
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:

What I find interesting is that the Cyanide community doesn't have the same support system as Fumbbl. Even though they are relatable questions, some guys come on here only to ask those questions. They Pay to play on Cyanide, but come to here, which is essentially free, to get playing advice. Its odd in my own mind.

Im not shooting down the guy, Im saying I find it interesting.

There are Cyanide forums, but I think most people know that this is the place to come for better advice. I play Cyanide games A LOT, but I don't use their forums at all. The Steam forum is becoming a cesspool, so if you want to have a reasonable discussion, FUMBBL is the place to have it.

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2016 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

@MLenip: make a team here on fumbbl.com and play instead Wink
 Jump to: