46 coaches online • Server time: 11:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
OP is asking an existential question: Why be moral, if it is to my detriment?

Sartre would have said that seeking the moral code of Fumbbl so that it can be adhered to is inauthentic and would be acting in bad faith. Better to establish one's own moral code and live by it, for better or worse.

Personally I think subjective morality is bunk, but I doubt this is the place for such arguments.

What about hierarchical morality?
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I don't like the word Timeout on Fumbbl. Basically a Time Out in sports is a Time Break, which is more like a brb. Can we get a bit more PC and call it a Clock out?

but Clock out reminds me of work, I don't want to feel like I'm working when I come to Fumbbl. Laughing
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
happygrue wrote:
after you warn them.

So it became finally etiquette after quite a few coaches used the button without warning?

not compulsory. you should always consider yourself warned

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:
What is the link between a timeout and a foul Desultory? As far as I can see one is perfectly within the rules and one is not. Both could be viewed as dick moves but that is the only connection.

how is a foul a "dick move". is passing the ball a "dick move"? both are equally legal

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:
What is the link between a timeout and a foul Desultory?

Fouling is a game rule. Timeout could be seen as a game rule. The right to time out opponents could overweight the social norm about timeouts discussed in these five pages. This is at least the argument I hear dogwhistled.

Even if we grant that, Da Rulebook specifies that a Commissar can overrule *any* BB rule.

So all Desultory needs to know [is] that if he times out opponents who are AFK he risks administrative sanctions, and to be reminded of the objective fact that admins' decisions are final.

It would still be nice to have all this in black and white somewhere more salliant.

Last edited by thoralf on %b %29, %2016 - %04:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a match last month (OT included) went on for nearly 3 hours. It was great fun, numerous turns over four minutes half the time because of the banter. If one is that impatient that insta timeout is attractive then the social experience that is Blood Bowl is not for you.

DLE College 7s
licker

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Seventyone wrote:
What is the link between a timeout and a foul Desultory? As far as I can see one is perfectly within the rules and one is not. Both could be viewed as dick moves but that is the only connection.

how is a foul a "dick move". is passing the ball a "dick move"? both are equally legal

So is pressing the timeout button.

*shrug*

Thing is, you can sort of do whatever you want until someone complains (submits a ticket) and the admins decide to respond to it however they decide to respond.

I know I have done an 'illegal' timeout a time or two. Both times I self reported though, and the games were canceled (I think) since the opponent had apparently DCed (I don't know what they did).

The only hang up is that your team remains locked until the ticket is resolved.

Well now I don't bother to time anyone out (not that it's been an issue for the last several games anyway). But my zen chill factor is much higher than it used to be :p
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, age dulls the rage. Ya old goat! Wink
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, the saltier the person, the more likely they are to time out. ArrestedDevelop's Theorem.
CW

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
It seems generally implied that one shouldn't click the timeout button in nearly all situations. Seemingly the only reasoning given is usually that it isn't nice.
It seems to me this is what the admins have concluded as well.

This is flawed reasoning because; not clicking the timeout button has implications too.
In five recent matches I played; I was nice, and I don't click the timeout button. In two of those my star players got 'Petty' fouled late game, in situations that it doesn't advantage my opponent (in regard to the result is settled no matter what), and I lose a good pixel for it.
Is that nice? No, but that is allowed. So why is one nasty allowed and another nasty not.

Now the line of arguments generally go, 'don't care about pixels, care about real life', and we go in circles. But by similar logic, if 'it's just a game', it shouldn't be a big deal that I click the timeout button...
I don't care about pixels, but they take time to acquire spps, so when someone petty fouls when the result is settled, it disadvantages me.

Also does that other person on the other side of the screen care that they are inconveniencing you for x minutes while they disappear to do whatever? (This 'whatever' always seems to be an emergency, or holding or speaking to their kid, in the minds of a few coaches). But mostly, people leave the game for petty reasons. e.g. I can do a piss (even a poo) and end my turn within 4 minutes usually...

I don't know. No one seems to see this side of the story. Those who leave the game a lot for a smoke or whatever will always be biassed towards people not clicking the button. those that don't (me) may tend the other way.

To be honest I find it extremely hard to believe that you are dealing with coaches who do this nearly as often as you make it sound. I have been here for a long time, and it just doesn't happen often at all.
Timetis

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Also, the saltier the person, the more likely they are to time out. ArrestedDevelop's Theorem.

Lol

Does that go for the Time-outer or the Time-outee?
or is it an equal opportunities theorem? : p
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:

I suspect it is because to cover every possibility you'd need to write thousands of words. Even then you'd likely still some obscure situation or be deluged with hypotheticals.

It also would allow people to break the spirit of the rules whilst still staying within them. We all know some coaches want to know how much of a jerk they can get away with being. That gets round the "nothing in the rules says I can't do that" excuse.

OK! fair enough.

I my head making rules clearer should cause players not to get away with anything. Its what I want to avoid.
If that makes 1000 new rules to cover all situations then its ofcourse not worth it.
Also, as I understand it it will be fixed eventually in newer updates in the code, so its an issue that will be solved in the future, I can live with that.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It does not take many words to state:

1. Do not be a jerk.
2. If you think your opponent acted like a jerk, submit a ticket.
3. Admins will take appropriate action.
4. Admins' calls are final.
5. It's ok to be a jerk from time to time, it is not ok to be a jerk over and over again.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 19:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:

5. It's ok to be a jerk from time to time, it is not ok to be a jerk over and over again.

'Cause we know.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Timetis wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

Lol

Does that go for the Time-outer or the Time-outee?
or is it an equal opportunities theorem? : p

Time-outer. How many times you think AD has timed out Endzone? Wink
 Jump to: