51 coaches online • Server time: 13:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
akuku88

Post 5 Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

One of my goblins in this almost brand new team just rolled double sixes on his first lvl up. It's the first 2 level gobbo on the team.

Is it a good idea to take +ST or is it raising TV too much and better to just take a double skill? I mean one gobbo with st3 could actually surprise some players who keep forgetting about it...

There's a few positives and negatives. What do you guys think?
kummo

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that is a hard one.

I'm not Underworld pro (heck, i haven't played any games with them in fumbbl.. i have toyed against cyanide AI tho.. because i like the rats+stunties combo but i see that UW is one team really hard to actually start with against humans).

Sooooo..

Blodge early on could be good for many reason. Also Guard that can dodge in cages with +3 could be good. The questions are:

1) If he takes strength, what kind of player would you built him as?
2) If he takes doubles, what kind of player would you built him as?

I can see strength goblin be an excellent sacker since it can dodge in cages. If he rolls agility or you take 2 heads it's +2 dodges in cages no matter how many tacklezones you are going in. With horns he get's +1 to blitz... problem is ofc that he need other doubles to actually get other sacker skills (wrestle, stripball, tackle...).. so building him that way isn't guaranteed. I believe that if you'd choose strength then horns might be next skill and i believe 2 heads could be next.. I would believe that opponent that sees str 4 blitzer that can go in cages would avoid making sidecages (or if they do it, then you can surf with +2 dodge and by cancelling assists you'd get 2-dice block).

--

Personally i don't see much value in strenght gobbo.. like you said, it is a bloat. I don't see the use since rats are the ones you actually are developing.

Av7 guard is not usually recommended but this team has only 3 players with str access (and they are also the only players with higher armor.. all other players are av7) so taking str access skill might be useful. It's way more useful after your team is a bit more developed and you have (probably a rat-)sacker.. getting that guard in cage (with +2 if +agi/2heads.. or +3 without) helps a lot!

Block or wrestle as survivability aren't bad options either. Wrestle leans a bit more towards possible sacker and block.. hmm.. carrier? (But rats should be your main carriers most def).

Just my thoughts.. wait for answers from more experienced coaches that are more familiar with that race Smile

Last edited by kummo on %b %29, %2016 - %11:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think for the first skill keeping the +ST would be good. What do you want to do with your goblin? What is his skill trajectory? He isn't likely to last that long. Two Heads is obvious the best normal skill you can get. Horns is pretty good too... that combo gives you one hell of a cage buster. You can another double, imo Wrestle will far outweigh block.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
fidius

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, lemme think aboTAKE THE STRENGTH!
Squiglet

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hell yes take +ST, then horns and lob it down field on your first turn of defence to blitz the QB before the cage even forms... nothing like stealing the ball in the backfield and scoring a 1-2 turn TD against the kick to make your oppo pull players off the LoS for the rest of the game.

Plus this tactic will quickly solve the problem of him being bloat - he will with get eaten, splat on landing or be stomped to death by annoyed opponent players before he gets too many other skills (if he does think about BH, more arms and a few extra heads for added annoyance factor) but on his way to his untimely demise you will ave great fun with him!
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I've taken +ST on an UW gobbo before and he was a lot of fun, but eventually the rest of the team was in dire straits with him in the lineup (although the fact I had a +ST stormvermin, with a 2x +ST Stormvermin, a block troll and +AG goblin and barely any actual skills on the team was kinda also a big deal). This was/is in box though.

Of all the doubles, if you wanted to go that route, the one I'd say I'd probably take would be dirty player.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrestle + Horns + Str gobbo is a huge cagebuster. Question is whether you need cagebusting. UW tends to lose players quickly (goblins), and tend to eliminate opposing players quickly (cpomb blitzers), so cage is hard to interpret at the end of each half.
I think that this development path will give you a fighting chance until you develop your killers, but after that it might be too much.

So i would probably choose the STR, but would not plan to keep the player for eternity, and would absolutely zero protect until you have your killer.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Take the strength because if you don't you'll constantly be wondering what would happen if you did take it. Then if you really don't like it you can fire the little chap.

I've had 2 UW goblins with +st and horns before (1 and 2). They both were solid cornerstones of their teams.

PS: bloat schmoat.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for answers guys. I decided to go for +ST, and then horns on the next lvl up. If he survives that long. Smile

Indeed I won't be currently able to protect him, but that another 3ST player is much needed. If it goes wrong he's off the team. In a peaceful or bloody way.

Gotta go test him on the pitch now!
Badoek

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

good choice. A +ST Underworld gobbo has been a huge annoyance in HUBBA. He does have Block and we've got the special stunty rule where they don't suffer from Tackle too much, but still: you can use that +ST!

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

But in hubba right stuff negates tackle.. so st3 gobbo that can go EVERYWHERE and that goes down only on pow (unless wrestle+boot) in closed environment is much more valuable than st3 gobbo that goes down on tackle..

(PS: The hubba chaos pact st3 gobbo has been nuisance too)

[edit: noticed that we linked the same player.. he is goblin renegade from pact, not UW goblin... same access, statline and starting skills and all tho.. so doesn't make much difference.. you just named it wrong]

I wouldn't compare hubba/hubba 2 gobbos to ranked/box gobbos Wink

[[edit2: don't know if i didn't see it before or if you edited your texts afterwards/at the same time i did mine.. but i see now that you mentioned the right stuff rule Badoek]]

Gl to your team akuku88 Smile
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

indeed the St3, all-dodging critter is a threat on the ball. not a threat as a wardancers, maybe one step under.

akuku88

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Great, the goblin this thread is about received a niggling injury in the first game he played with ST3. Apothecary rerolled niggling into niggling. It's bananas. Should I keep him or fire him immidiately? Razz
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

akuku88 wrote:
Great, the goblin this thread is about received a niggling injury in the first game he played with ST3. Apothecary rerolled niggling into niggling. It's bananas. Should I keep him or fire him immidiately? Razz

Fire him.
The players you absolutely need are 2 clawpombers (Mighty Blow, Claw, Piling On, Tackle, Horns, Frenzy) and 1 thrower ball carrier with Blodge, Two Heads, Leader (you can take Leader on the less skilled Thrower, but you will have to protect him too, instead of just 3 players). Once you get Leader, drop 1 rr, 2 team rr + leader rr are enough.
When a Goblin gets the first skill keep him only if it's AG 4 because that improves a lot the 1TTD attempt (landing roll and dodge rolls to score) and the ball handling actions like pick up and catch at the same time.
Don't stack skills on Goblins without AG 4, because they will bloat your team.
UW is better at low-mid TV, because Tacklepomb destroys Goblins, Linerats and negates Dodge.
Try always to have 14 players on your team.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %29, %2016 - %14:%Oct; edited 3 times in total
Uedder

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2016 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

As sad as it is, i'd fire him. The +st was a long term investement and with the niggle his career is bound to be short.
 Jump to: