46 coaches online • Server time: 17:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Skill Mandolin (Dodge,AG+2,Leap) to Legend
Tackle then Wrestle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wrestle then Tackle
35%
 35%  [ 13 ]
Block then Tackle
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
Tackle then Block
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Fend then something,
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pass then something, please comment on why.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Claw then pie(cause you only have one killer)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other, please comment on why.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 37

licker

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
licker wrote:
Cage leaping chaos? Sure, it's cool, but honestly, it's not really that useful for them as they don't have any way to reliably recover the ball.

Big Hand + Two Heads on a goat, until you get an AGI 4 goat?

I think that sounds far better than it actually is.

Two heads on AG3 is not that sexy when the ball is still in traffic, elfs tend to want AG5 for those plays.

But sure, why not build the team like that, it should be interesting if nothing else.

Still, elf recoveries usually include more dodging and a pass to someone to really get the ball out and away. So now are you also building an extra arms beast man with catch on a double?

At some point you just have to recognize that you're not actually playing elfs, and trying to build Chaos into Elfs is not going to lead to a lot of wins.

It may be fun as hell though, but it doesn't really sound like a good idea if your goal is maximizing winning. Which it may not be, and that's totally fine.
kwèk

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadowing, then Break Tackle!

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Cant understand in anyway how people say that ag5 leap warrior is bad. He is a total pain to deal with on both offence and defence as you never know where his position will bee.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

block then sure hands would probably be my goal. I'd use him as a slow but mobile carrier with good throwing capabilities in case of emergency.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually leaning toward Tackle right now, then block or wrestle later. I can prolong the choice.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

+ST then +ST. Because. Of course. That is what you are going to roll.
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Diddyboy wrote:
Cant understand in anyway how people say that ag5 leap warrior is bad. He is a total pain to deal with on both offence and defence as you never know where his position will bee.

He's MA5 and doesn't have block or wrestle. We assume he's on a team which is at a higher TV so the opponents probably have blodge sure hands ball carriers (or at least blodge) and their set of offensive skills as well.

Literally all he does is allow you to move up to 5 squares on 2+ and up to 7 on even more 2+.

Now that's not really bad if he's your ball carrier, but since he's still slow it's not that hard to stall out a cage further away from scoring range, and if he does his shenanigans then he's just running naked with only dodge (and st4) to protect himself.

As a cage leaper he's generating probably 1ds but without block/wrestle/strip (since it looks like he's getting tackle for some reason) is basically fishing for the 1/3.

Oh and any elf player will tell you that even AG5 leapers eat up rerolls more than they would like.

He is a really cool player, I bet the team can have a lot of fun using him.

I still don't think he's really a good player or adds much value to Chaos in particular, but hey, that's not an issue for Donny, he's got his own ideas about how to play the team.

Like I said earlier, Leap is the skill that 'hurts', if that had just been block or wrestle then you have a player who now is taking sure hands or strip ball and is pretty damn good at doing either ball carrier or cage breaker anyway.
delusional

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else sick of the BB cookie cutter? Oh what skill should we pick for an AG5 Leaping chaos warrior with dodge? ... Block, then guard.... NOOOOOO

We have a guy here who could totally smash a cage. Would you really send your Str3 blodger to block him? Probably not. If you do then your guys will get smashed by the more blocky chaos.

So Chaos doesn't have a ball retriever. Who cares you have disarmed the cage. Chaos wins 2-1. Remember you're not playing elves usually. You're playing Dwarfs, Orks, Khemri, etc who spend 1/2 the round grabbing the ball. You dislodge their ball carrier they need to take at least another turn to recover the ball. Meanwhile move 2 guys with guard to the broken cage and the other coach is in for trouble.

Strip ball seems to be coming to my mind, possibly in use with Jugs. Even if you only get a 1d6 you have a 4/6 chance of breaking the ball loose. If you decide you need a defensive skill instead go wressle + strip ball.

Remember slow bashy teams need to keep the ball moving forward. You dislodge the ball, they need to recover to score. If they run to the other side of the field, just keep enough mens there to block them out of existence.
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

For me its wrestle then tackle or block then then stand firm. to have the ability to move him where you want in support is fantastic. sure he is slow but the combination plays you do with a frenzy player when you have a ag5 on the field is just pure love
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:

So Chaos doesn't have a ball retriever. Who cares you have disarmed the cage. Chaos wins 2-1. Remember you're not playing elves usually. You're playing Dwarfs, Orks, Khemri, etc who spend 1/2 the round grabbing the ball. You dislodge their ball carrier they need to take at least another turn to recover the ball. Meanwhile move 2 guys with guard to the broken cage and the other coach is in for trouble.

It's not as though Chaos has bad matchups with those teams though in the first place. Indeed the 'typical' chaos build eats them for lunch without even caring about if they make a cage or not.

That's kind of the point. This is a cool build, but it doesn't help you against the teams you already don't need help against, and it doesn't help you against the teams you DO need help against.

This is a Chaos Warrior who costs you 160k and does almost nothing for you.

You are basically eating a wizard every match just from this guys skills alone. Are they worth more than seeing a wizard?

Personally I'd say not, but then again, if the guy is fun to play then it doesn't matter.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
You now have 2+ leaps with st4. Use that for defensive sacks.

3 skills go with that. Wrestle, Tackle/Strip Ball.

Take Wrestle now.

Then you have 100 spp to test what you need more often. Tackle or Strip.

Simples.

Yes exactly.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 07:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with licker. I think the key mistake was leap. And with the second skill 100spp away, i think this player is huge TV weight for little gain.

So I hope you find him fun, because he is going to lose you games.

I just dont see what he is supposed to DO, what is his role?

Wrestle is a poor choice imho as his lack of speed means going to ground limits him enormously, and for his cost he needs to be being effective. As a sacker he will need back up as licker says, and the whole team will have to be built around making him effective. He is also then useless as a ball carrier, as wrestle and ball carrying do not work well.

tackle is almost as useless, as still 1 in 3, or at best (2 die block) 1 in 9, times he will fail and need a reroll to keep your turn going.

As a ball carrier he sucks, without block and sure hands he is easy(ish) meat at the TV he himself raises you to. But maybe block and hope not to face elves is your best bet for using him. Even then MA5 is bad and leap is a waste.

Without any kill skills he is no hitter, without pace he is a bad reciever (despite receiving well even in a tz), without catchers whats the point in him throwing well.

I doubt i would have taken the second ag (but i would have on a beastman) and I definitely wouldnt have taken leap. Now that you have taken those, I can't see what will make him good, so probably it's best to make him fun, or cool.

Maybe consider Tentacles? a go anywhere ballcarrier immobiliser? Or Frenzy to make him the terror of the sidelines(leap and dodge have some vague symmetry here).

But I'd probably take Block, dull as it is. It's probably most likely to be of use.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I do enjoy the discussion here, glad to see there is different schools of thought on how i should skill Mandolin.

I think for sure Tackle would be more use than strip ball as most guys will have surehands. Wrestle vexs me. I can see it's uses but I guess with tackle I'll mostly be getting two dice blocks on that leaping cage busting blitz so rerolling bothdowns (as i can put down pow/push blodgers 4/12) and staying standing is better most of the time than same odds with wrestling there.

Plus wrestle makes him weaker on offense than block.
Oly1987

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Omg guys just appreciate him for being a nice unique player and dont hate just because he isnt 'optimal'. Theres WAY too many cookie cutter teams and sometimes having a sub optimal play is FUN. remember fun? The reason we all play BB in the first place?

One of my favourite players of all time on fumbbl was Farmer Giles. Not one of my players but he was a +MA +MA +AG +AG Dodge Leap...... TROLL and he was freaking amazing.

Back to this player and im torn between wrestle and block. Block makes him a much better all round but wrestle makes him a much better sacker at the cost of him not being as effective in other areas. Go with your gut instinct.
Miceycraft

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

What about big hand.

Dodge into a ton of tacklezones and then pick up the ball on a 2+! Good times
 Jump to: