53 coaches online • Server time: 14:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 04:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I have never conceded a game nor had a game conceded against me.

That's such a cool record to hold. I had thought I was in the same boat but then looked way back in my match list and found two people had conceded against me. Not quite a clean slate.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Or the best solution...is the one we already have.
Really, auto concessions is BS. Just anything happens in RL, and you lose a few nice players (the 51+ spp - rule), so just to add this crap to whatever RL problem lead to this situation.

There are so few black sheep, and i trust admins to deal with them accordingly.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 08:00 Reply with quote Back to top

...or we could have a Box for Certified Showers, like Golden Supporters only. Laughing

Joost

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

So, while most seem to agree that the problem is minimal at best, given the small amount of no-shows, I do think there is some merit to this idea. auto-concession would solve a problem, even if it is a minimal one. The problem most people have is the fact that multiple players may leave the team. I agree that that is too harsh. I'm also not sure if it's worth the development time given all the other plans Christer probably has for this site. But by itself, assuming no players would leave the team I would be in favour of an auto concession after Time X (say, an hour but up for discussion).
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Joost wrote:
So, while most seem to agree that the problem is minimal at best, given the small amount of no-shows, I do think there is some merit to this idea. auto-concession would solve a problem, even if it is a minimal one. The problem most people have is the fact that multiple players may leave the team. I agree that that is too harsh. I'm also not sure if it's worth the development time given all the other plans Christer probably has for this site. But by itself, assuming no players would leave the team I would be in favour of an auto concession after Time X (say, an hour but up for discussion).

then it would be just auto-cancellation with free SPPs for the "staying" side?
meh.
you can keep a list of so-called "concessions" if you want for personal use and bragging rights, but that shouldn't involve team building.
in the test mode you can pump up and down your teams, and even play solo. all it takes is dedication...

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the biggest issue with this is automatic punishment of those that have a legitimate reason to not show. For example, the other person's internet connection drops shortly after they activate; or their computer melts down; or some RL emergency kicks off (wife goes into labor or cat is on fire ...)

A no-show is basically the same as a disconnection that happens before the game has started, so why shouldn't the normal d/c procedure apply?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

When smallman agrees with Dakka, the forum post will soon be lock-aed.

- Fumbbl proverb
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
I think the biggest issue with this is automatic punishment of those that have a legitimate reason to not show. For example, the other person's internet connection drops shortly after they activate; or their computer melts down; or some RL emergency kicks off (wife goes into labor or cat is on fire ...

It's really unlikely that your connection drops in those 10 minutes after the scheduler draw, that your PC melts down or something happens in that short span of time, and, even if it happened, losing 1 game would not be a tragedy if you really faced a serious RL issue.
As I said, if applying the 51+ SPPs check is too harsh then just consider the game as a loss and free up automatically the teams, so the coach who respects the schedule (and the admin too) are not bothered by the ticket procedure, PMs, etc.
Anyway, if automatic loss is still too harsh, then at least lock the account, so, if the no-show was due to genuine issues then the no-show coach can play the game and unlock his account without any repercussion, while if the coach wanted to avoid a bad match-up on purpose he can't play in Ranked and in Box with the scheduled game still pending.
I understand that probably this can't be done because locking/unlocking requires admin's work, but ideally it should be an automatic procedure.
I don't like to bother admins (and to waste our time as well), this is why I suggested an automatic system.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope. Locking the account is ridiculous. As it is now, the team is locked. That is enough.
If they come back and say "I can play at 22:00" but you say "Now I cannot play until tomorrow" then they cannot play at all.

If the current system is too much for the admins, I guess that they would complain to Christer about it.

This has only happened to me a few times. Each time the admins cancelled the game quickly.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

This has only happened to me a few times. Each time the admins cancelled the game quickly.

Do you realize that cancelling a game without repercussion is open to exploits?
So, whenever I find a huge TV gap match or a coach/team I don't like I don't show up and the game gets cancelled.
Easy. (disclaimer: I don't mean this for real, it's just to make an example).

I whine and I'm annoying, but I always play my games, even if vs coaches I don't like/bad match-ups/TV gaps because I respect the schedule and I'm committed.
This is how coaches should take their schedule and site rules, seriously, without wasting opponent's time, it's a matter of respect, wasting other people's time is unpolite, and this time waste creates work for the admins.
If not committed coaches want to mess around there is League division.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
I think the biggest issue with this is automatic punishment of those that have a legitimate reason to not show. For example, the other person's internet connection drops shortly after they activate; or their computer melts down; or some RL emergency kicks off (wife goes into labor or cat is on fire ...

It's really unlikely that your connection drops in those 10 minutes after the scheduler draw, that your PC melts down or something happens in that short span of time, and, even if it happened, losing 1 game would not be a tragedy if you really faced a serious RL issue.

It might be unlikely, but these things happen. I'm sure it's happened to me once or twice in 1000 games, that my connection has gone down just after I've agreed to a game. It seems you are making a general assumption that, if your opponent doesn't show up, then it must be because of some belligerence or intent on their part, which needs to be punished. Are you saying you've never had a d/c yourself because of a genuine issue that was out of your control?

In my view, the exact same issues that can (and do) cause d/cs could also cause someone to not show for a Box game. I don't see any reason why it should be treated any differently.

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Do you realize that cancelling a game without repercussion is open to exploits? So, whenever I find a huge TV gap match or a coach/team I don't like I don't show up and the game gets cancelled.

If someone showed a pattern of doing this regularly, that would be different. The admins would/should spot it and punish it.

MattDakka wrote:
I whine and I'm annoying, but I always play my games, even if vs coaches I don't like/bad match-ups/TV gaps because I respect the schedule and I'm committed. This is how coaches should take their schedule and site rules, seriously, without wasting opponent's time, it's a matter of respect, wasting other people's time is unpolite, and this time waste creates work for the admins.

Again, here you are assuming that, if someone doesn't show, then it must be because of disrespect or devious intent on their part.

MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

When I had a d/c (happened in Cyanide game and other online games) I lost the game, I'm responsible of my connection/PC/real life/cat/whatever-thing-can-interrupt-me, it's not my opponent's fault if I disconnect.
If the d/c is genuine and happens twice in 1000 games is not a tragedy, while if you are regularily late to the game (I noticed that some coaches use to join the game late or "forget" it at all) then you will stop doing it. Maybe they are genuinely distracted people, but, as I don't forget the schedule, I don't see why they should be allowed to forget it.
By the way, in my last experience, my opponent didn't even bother to write me a PM, I had to send him a PM first, and it's not the first time that a no-show/leaver doesn't even bother to communicate what happened.

JellyBelly wrote:

If someone showed a pattern of doing this regularly, that would be different. The admins would/should spot it and punish it.

Even if admins punish the offender, he can make a new account, while I lost my time without any compensation. Time is the currency of life, never forget it. Anyway, I could not show up on purpose to a single game I want to dodge once in a year, and admins would not punish me, following your logic, because they might assume my no show was genuine. Since we can't know for sure if the no-show is genuine, it's better, in my opinion, to put the burden of responsability on the no-show coach. That way he's encouraged to actively join/resume the game as soon as possible. Are all no-showers doing it on purpose? No, but it's better, to run the division smoothly, to consider them responsible.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:

So, whenever I find a huge TV gap match or a coach/team I don't like I don't show up and the game gets cancelled.

I whine and I'm annoying, but I always play my games, even if vs coaches I don't like/bad match-ups/TV gaps because I respect the schedule and I'm committed.
This is how coaches should take their schedule and site rules, seriously, without wasting opponent's time, it's a matter of respect, wasting other people's time is unpolite, and this time waste creates work for the admins.

Who says that it is without repercussion?

The admins know who didn't show. They can apply whatever repercussions they deem appropriate.

Honestly, I don't think that there are enough of your "committed coaches" for the Box to work. You need the more casual coaches to make up the numbers.

If one person dodges a lot of games, I am sure that the admins will nail them.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:

Who says that it is without repercussion?

The admins know who didn't show. They can apply whatever repercussions they deem appropriate.

/sigh

Here we go again.

You are spot on Koadah.

We are in that zone of 'Boo Hoo, I want to see him/her get yelled at.'

As admins we keep records of various things. Just because people don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

'They can make a new account' - True

Admins can see duplicate accounts.

/puts hand out for next bus