55 coaches online • Server time: 17:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is, Matt, even if there were a number coaches who were deliberately trying to dodge Box games, I don't think your proposed solution would work anyway, for the following reason:

Say I'm an underhanded coach who wants to game the Box by activating and then not showing up against 'good' coaches. Your suggested automated system gets implemented, so that now, if I don't show, I'll suffer an auto-concession. Ok, so I'll just change my tactics. Instead of no-showing, now I'll start the game and then d/c on turn 2. "Oops! Sorry, my connection dropped ..." . In which case, it would just fall back on the standard d/c procedure anyway.

So, I think it would actually be more likely to punish those that suffer a genuine d/c, rather than the devious coaches you are trying to target, who would find a way to circumevent it.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

every method can be exploited one way or another.
at the moment the method is nice because we have
1) case-per-case analysis
2) a defective coaches list
3) it works without bugs

the downside is that this method is lenghty because it requires a volounteer operator to move the gears. Something that has been the fortune of FUMBBL I'd say: the human factor. It's something more than a simple autmagical resolution of a disconnection.

You aren't entitled to watch and gloat over other people's correction, since that's what you are asking here and now.

You're talking about committment, but you're playing casual games in the Box requiring a low, short-term (the time of a match) committment: If it's committment bothering you, you should be playing Leagues with other equally committed coaches.

Or keep playing LOTS of games in the Box and accept that there's more probability of getting an issue with a match (in RL shit may happen)

OBBA is recruiting, btw

MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:

You're talking about committment, but you're playing casual games in the Box requiring a low, short-term (the time of a match) committment: If it's committment bothering you, you should be playing Leagues with other equally committed coaches.

No thanks, been in your league, Giostra di Tilea, and there were time wasters unable to schedule games or just to respect schedule, and they were all italians, so, there was no language barrier.
I found private leagues worse than Box in terms of commitment.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Matt, you don't need to be placated with obvious punishment to those who you perceive wronged you outrageously and grievously to enjoy yourself here.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: May 07, 2019 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh wow, MattDakka, you are so wrong at so many levels and you don't eve realize it. That's sad, more than anything.

1) You think it would be very unusual for somebody to not open a game within 10 minutes and therefore it would be ok for the system to automaticly hand him a concession, with lost players, etc.

First of all, it's not that unusual, that it takes above 10 min. An internet breakdown can be fixed by a internet reboot - in my case that takes about 5 minutes, but it can acceed 10 minutes - but what about power cuts, internet gone in the entire area, etc.? Box would be dead for me, if your rules would be in place. I would never ever risk that, given the power cuts, earthquakes and internet cuts in my area. So, i am happy for you and your save bubble, your perfect town, but don't assume that the entire planet does just as well.

Further your argument consists in that it's just a few cases. And if it was even just one single case, this doesn't make it right and worth it to please your vengeful approach on "box-delayers" or however you would call them. Just to satisfy your need to play now or concede automaticly so you can play asap again, doesn't make it right, not to account for good reasons not to play instantly.

2) "If something in RL happened, one lost game is a minor thing...". So thank, god MattDakka, you are to judge how somebody takes something. You are to judge, that if there was an earthquake, i would be all relaxed by losing pixels on fumbbl. Because that is just like it works for you, and that's how it should be for everybody? Try, just try to look at it in a different way: First you get something bad going on in RL, it could be something minor, like a power cut, or some kind of emergency or an earthquake. So, you of course survive first and or solve the RL problem, and then later at some point, when everything is fine again, you will come back to fumbbl - to find out, that upon your RL problem, you lost a legend and 3 superstar players on your favorite team. So, adding to some RL trouble (at that moment hopefully entirely in the past), you add this bitter crap on fumbbl. And all that is fine, because you in your head think, that anybody with RL problems won't have an issue at all with that.

RL example right here for you: Last earthquake in MX city was pretty big, quite some people died, and some buildings destroyed. I was so lucky as to not lose anybody, not get harmed - i was just without most systems for a while (and stuck for 2h in traffic - just about 3 hours later and it would have been my usual fumbbl time). After making sure, everybody was fine, after trying to help however i could and do some donations, it was normal day for me again. Playtime, without the big drama that would me put in this state of mind you would imagine as "RL-problem" that would convert something like lost pixels into a non-issue. In the middle of a desaster-zone. Yes. After getting over the stress, after helping and realizing how lucky i was and at my return to normal life, i would have definitly been pissed over this unnecesary and unjust crap of lost pixels on fumbbl. Even if you don't care, even if you know that better than me or anybody. Losing those pixels there would just ADD another small crap to the big RL situation one had to go through. For you the only thing that matters seems to be that you can PLAY NOW.

TLDR: MattDakkas idea would kill the box for me and for everybody else who doesnt like to lose pixels over such a stupid mechanism, and happens to live anywhere less perfect than MattDakka.
smallman

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a team locked up for 3 months now, due to a quitter making zero effort to finish. I expect admin will prefer to cancel, so best to just wait forever so he not rewarded.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

About 18 months ago, I lived in a place where the intenet simply wasn't stable, period.
Depending on the time of day, it could take upwards of 20 minutes just to load the client.

If this suggestion were to go through, then I'd be entirely unable to play Box if I wanted to.

smallman wrote:
I have a team locked up for 3 months now, due to a quitter making zero effort to finish. I expect admin will prefer to cancel, so best to just wait forever so he not rewarded.
Well, that's your choice then. If you aren't willing to accept what the admin can do to free up your team, then you deserve to wait forever in the futile hope that you'll get to use that team again.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
About 18 months ago, I lived in a place where the intenet simply wasn't stable, period.
Depending on the time of day, it could take upwards of 20 minutes just to load the client.

If this suggestion were to go through, then I'd be entirely unable to play Box if I wanted to.

Should you have been playing box or any unorganised games? The idea of box is instant gaming. Having to wait more time than what you queued isn't really on.

When I was staff here (so I cannot comment about now). If somebody took longer than 15 minutes to join, the game could be cancelled. Allowing the other person to queue again. Even lets say it was 10 minutes. that's longer than most want.

Given the choice, how many coaches would want to wait that long for the game to start?

I don't see the time part of MD's request as a problem.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey harvestmouse, you are talking about cancelling. I don't have any problem with that. But those advocating for forced concession do. Since atm you can just request to cancel a game due to waiting period (happened to me, also after about 10 min., opponent didn't want to wait longer, so, cancelled), this discussion is about the OP's idea of somehow force auto-concessions to punish "non-showers". Which imho would create more problems than it would help to solve.

If i don't like something, i avoid it. I wouldn't try to everybody else change things so they suit me. So, i would just avoid box, then.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
As for the OPs idea. I have never conceded a game nor had a game conceded against me. This would massively turn me off of a division for a no show.

The idea is a total no go. I can't say I'm in Christer's head but I'm as sure as I can be that he wouldn't want this.

I feel
Coaches shouldn't have to wait long periods to start a box game: Agree.

Coaches that don't turn up within 10 minutes have the game conceded against them: Disagree.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, so saying the word "gay" and waiting more than 10 minutes to start a box game

any more first world problems to add to the list?

https://youtu.be/bwvlbJ0h35A

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

All of this misses the point. The OP's beef is with the volunteer Admins, who are too slow for his taste. And he knows he'll get nowhere with Christer directly. So he's taking his complaint public, in the guise of a feature request.

It's called "constructive criticism", and isn't passive-aggressive at all. Laughing
koadah

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Antithesisoftime wrote:

Should you have been playing box or any unorganised games? The idea of box is instant gaming. Having to wait more time than what you queued isn't really on.

When I was staff here (so I cannot comment about now). If somebody took longer than 15 minutes to join, the game could be cancelled. Allowing the other person to queue again. Even lets say it was 10 minutes. that's longer than most want.

Given the choice, how many coaches would want to wait that long for the game to start?

I don't see the time part of MD's request as a problem.

It is a problem because it is automatic. I have asked admins to cancel a game after about 15 mins. But on another day I'd prefer to wait and see.
There are times when Box draws are pretty thin on the ground. If the game is cancelled you could be waiting another hour for the next one.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
ok, so saying the word "gay" and waiting more than 10 minutes to start a box game

any more first world problems to add to the list?

https://youtu.be/bwvlbJ0h35A

The problem is cherries being able to get away unpicked.

Post   Posted: May 08, 2019 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:

Literally laughing out loud!! Very Happy
The battle of stubborn is ON!! Two guys on a casual fun gaming site lock horns to suck the last drop of fun out of each other.
Please let us know if you ever get around to playing this one out, it will be hilarious! 14 minutes decisions of where to side step, 'brb' avalanches and all the other little tricks. You guys crack me up. Laughing
 Jump to: