56 coaches online • Server time: 17:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

How are your games going playing with or against Gnomes?

My rookie Gnomes have not yet picked up a game in BlackBox. I though played v's them with Norse & Orc.

Both games 2-2 draws

Gnome are a bit slow and weak, and my stronger rosters have set out to bash them hard, hoping for a 2-1 win.

Although... they are really hard to stop scoring! I've been sunk through a TTM score, and a 2 turn score delivered by a +MV fox* and a great coach.

Looking forward to getting some games in coaching them, I might mono-active next BB draw.

*indeed - I need to stall harder - get gud!

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I only played one game against gnomes so far (with undead) and my experience was similar to yours:
Very, very difficult to stop them from scoring.
In T8, they took a -2D block with wrestle (resulting in both down) so that the fox needed three 2+ dodges and a 3+ jump to score.
In the 2nd half I stalled until T16, resulting in a 1-1 tie.

Bombers, wizards and blitzers with juggernaut (to cancel wrestle) should be very effective against them. Unfortunately, I had none of the above.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Managed my first game v's Norse. Got smashed!

Benched the foxes on defense (though probably will play one next time). I brought them on for my T8 restart. Unfortunately/ironically Stop The Clock gave the Norse a chance to take both of them out the game; and without the foxes Gnome are not a threat.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnome results, it seems, are very "opponent-dependent". Here is the win % of 45 games by 3 Gnome teams which played their first 15 games each in Blackbox (madvig, Elyod and myself - the total being 19/7/19):

100% vs. Humies
(100%) vs. Nurgle
(100%) vs. Nobs
(100%) vs. Snotz
(100%) vs. Skaven
(100%) vs. Renegades
(100%) vs. Dwarfs
69% vs. Gnomes (a distortion if you like)
67% vs. Orcs
50% vs. Underworld
50% vs. Norse
50% vs. Necro
(50%) vs. Gobbos
(50%) vs. Vamps
30% vs. DEs
0% vs. 'Zons
0% vs. Undead
0% vs. HEs
0% vs. WEs
(0%) vs. PEs
(0%) vs. CDs
(0%) vs. Black Orcs

(Brackets) are where only 1 match was played against that race. Notwithstanding the small sample, the pattern is quite clear, I think. A decent spread of opponents (22 races).

Hope that helps.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

That's really good - Notwithstanding the small sample.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

BeanBelly wrote:
That's really good - Notwithstanding the small sample.
Smeborg, Elyod, and Madvig. Not exactly representative.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd be curious what the stats look like if you exclude any games where the opponent was more than 50-100 CR lower than the gnome coach
Jayward

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I played in an untiered TT tournament yesterday (1200, 8 skills, stars allowed) and Gnomes with Grombrindal were top table in the final game. I beat them with Chorfs, but they were a real handful with some skills and the White Dwarf giving them Dauntless.

They felt super reliant on early pressure in defence, and the foxes. If you can get the ball safely into a cage you're probably fine from there. But until I managed to actually pick up the ball I didn't feel safe even with it being in three tackle zones; the fox (in scoring range) rolling some 2s and a 5 on pickup was a real concern.

We also weren't sure if Trickster counted as a voluntary move; at one point my opponent teleported on to the ball and we had to ask the TO whether they could attempt a pickup.
kozak

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2024 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

A 2-2 Tie against a Norse. Could have been 3-2 in my favor (with TTM) if the bounce turn 16 had not been out of reach of any of my guys.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2024 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Jayward wrote:

We also weren't sure if Trickster counted as a voluntary move; at one point my opponent teleported on to the ball and we had to ask the TO whether they could attempt a pickup.

What was the answer? This is intriguing as it is a voluntary move...

If the ball comes to you out of your turn (like a scatter), you get to catch it... why cant you do the reverse??
Craftertoo

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2024 - 07:01 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Jayward wrote:

What was the answer? This is intriguing as it is a voluntary move...

If the ball comes to you out of your turn (like a scatter), you get to catch it... why cant you do the reverse??
I played a game on fummbl with them and during the game I teleported with the trickster onto the ball and the game processed it as me trying to pick it up. then after the pick up roll I was still blocked. So that is how I will continue to play it when ever I am playing the board game. :] Gnomes are not my favorite yet. they are just a little to slow and with stunty they get hit hard.
Jayward

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2024 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The TO ruled it was a voluntary move and allowed the pickup attempt. I think it was the right call, but I'd love for it to get clarified in the next FAQ
sirvejlance

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2024 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I had two games against gnomes. first one was my 3 game khorne vs rookie gnomes with cindy, which was a good matchup for khorne, since both down don't hurt much on blockless frenzy Smile Since my AV 8 or 10 is more likely to hold if they choose not to use wrestle.
Second game was my 4 game khorne vs 15 game gnomes. This was a lot tougher. with several wrodgers and MA+ tree . the illusionists and side stepping foxes could really tie up my frenzy guys on the trees. With some skills they are quite good IMO.
smeborg

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2024 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
i'd be curious what the stats look like if you exclude any games where the opponent was more than 50-100 CR lower than the gnome coach
Gnomes usually have just enough money to buy Cindy (cost: 50,000) when they are overdog as well.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2024 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

no, CR, not TV

edit: so for you, exclude any games where your opponent was 1550 CR or less
 Jump to: