31 coaches online • Server time: 01:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should FUMBBL adopt 2 minute turns as default?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
No
73%
 73%  [ 111 ]
Only in certain leagues
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 151

Mingoose

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Welsh_Cthulu wrote:
pedro_fgomes wrote:
Even with 4 minute turns, a FUMBBL game is still much faster than a BB2 game, based on my experience. usually my games here last 1h or sometimes even less.

FUMBBL is so much better than BB2 in many ways. The skill level of opponents. The league structures. The races available. The community.

Quicker, it is not. Noticeably slower, it is.

Yoda, I am.

Gotta disagree 100% with you. BB2 is so much slower to get a full game in. The stupid animations and cutscenes eat away at the time. While the “turn” takes 2 minutes, all the cutscenes easily take another 2 whether you like it or not. The only reason BB2 games finish faster than FUMBBL is because BB2 coaches are much quicker to concede or play terribly leading to quick TO.

Honestly the speed of play is a reason I avoid BB2. I ain’t got time for that.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The time out button can be used but you can have troubles if you do it and your opponent writes in chat: "BRB, real life emergency."
It's prone to exploit, yes you can time out, but not if your opponent claims some sudden emergency, it's against site rules.
Also, even if your opponent doesn't write emergency in chat and he's just very slow, if you time him out he may take it bad and start being aggressive, because you chose to enforce the optional time out.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Welsh_Cthulu wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
No automatic time out suggests the intention of not forcing people to play fast, so I don't think 2 minutes will be ever be implemented.

Games with 1 minute timer are really stupid and alter drastically the nature of the game, favouring agile and fast teams.
Also, try to play your Vampire (or tier 3) team with 1 minute turn, good luck!

1 minute turns is absurd. Who's suggested that?

And why have a timeout button at all if it's not used? Like I said above, it should be at the behest of the opponent, but if you don;t have either an automatic timeout, or the option of one, Blood Bowl online in any format would be unplayable.

Speed Freaks Challenge suggested that. Wink

It was very popular.

We're back to asking, "who are you playing" that Fumbbl is slower than Cyanide?

A lot of Fumbbl games are done in 45-60 mins.

Guys like me are slower. Wink

Cyanide is of course quicker when people concede by turn 4. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember a Cyanide game where opponent rolled 2 x double skulls first turn, dead BOB, insta-quit.
Or quit after getting a Blitz! vs opponent deploying all-LOS Dwarfs, that was a classic too.
TheFear

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It's an almost never ending debate with perfectly valid perspectives on both sides. I remember a large discussion on the subject on kfoged's discord server after he started tacklezone star divisions on BB2. Many of the PC players were questioning why the competition didnt use 2 min turns... many of the table top players were questioning why it wasnt 4 min turns. Ultimately the preference seemed to come down to how you see the game!

Personally I hate 2 min or 3 min turns - particularly with enforced time outs. It's one of the reasons I've stopped playing on BB2. But then I'm a table top player at heart and I'm used to playing with no turn times at all (despite the fact that the rules specify 4 mjns). Most of my turns take between 2 or 3 mins - but there is always that one turn where you need longer. I hate to either win or lose because of a time out!

If FUMBBL was to switch to 2 min turns in black box or ranked - would it attract more PC players? Maybe it would! Although some would no doubt still be put off by the graphics. Could it lead to the loss of some of the existing player base? Who knows youd have to try it.

Personally I think it's good that there are different ways to play the game.
bakadon

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I'd respond after our "epic" dwarf v orc encounter (you know it Smile )that I think provoked this, or at least boiled you over. I think there was 3 or 4 turns that just went over the 4 mins limit and granted most of the other turns was then close to 4mins. (sorry) I have to say though that an Orc v Dwarf encounter, however novice I am (played for over 20 years since just before 2nd edition, ah the old polystyrene board I think if my memory doesn't fail me, which it often does lol) was an endurance fight as we pretty much had 11 players each left on the pitch by the end of the 2nd half (correct me if I'm wrong) and so greatly increased turn length (not to mention you losing :p I jest you seem like a nice guy with cool interests from our little chats, Red Warrior needs food badly)

I have to admit sometimes I potter around the house in the opponents turn so when I get back (yes I was listening for that beautiful sound, ding of my turn) I have to look at the board for 1 min before cracking out a 2 min turn. Correct me for being wrong but I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong, I have a 4min time limit and then the opponent can call me on it. Although being a novice I don't actually know if that ends my turn. Regardless I'm happy with that, I'm happy with a 4 min auto timeout (confused by whats been said because I haven't learnt all the rules of the site, I'm newish to trawling the site, get peaks of interest but none as much as now, always preferred the board game but my brother but he couldn't keep taking the beating), I'm also happy with a 3min auto timeout.

Showing my noob side to not reading enough of the website yet still after 20 years but isnt the Blackbox matching a 2 min time limit game?

I do keep meaning to jump in there to give it a bash.

BB is an amazing game and compromise if there was an option is good. I feel for you Welshy after our scrums, it was hurting my head also that game for the length of it, am sure you were never under 2 mins, generally because I was so tactically savy (you can clearly see Im not but I just love the game!).

Just my 2 pennies worth

Peace and fouls allowed despite not ever committing them Smile amazing board game and amazing site. x
stej

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd do away with timed turns and give each team a time bank to use for the half. If a complex turn takes longer than 4 mins, then so be it. It'll most likely be balanced by some faster turns. Run out of time and your remaining turns auto finish.
Maybe set the bank to 30mins per half so you know a game will last maybe an hour or so max
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Shorter turns encourages less exciting and expansive play in my opinion. Im not a fan of it. I tried BB1 with 2 min turns and you are basically forced to just do a basic blitz/cage routine or risk getting timed out. There are already enough penalties in the game for trying to do something more interesting.

It also penalises newer players.

So much this!

Is an average fumbbl game longer than an average BB2 game? I would not think so?

People who play BB2 2min turns regularly exploits the follow up counter etc. to prolong their turns. Using 4 mins or occasionally more is way more straight forward and in the spirit of Bloodbowl.
Sharkrudi

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 Koadah, i think 3 minutes is good.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The big problem with timed turns is people have real lives. Sometimes the phone rings, the door bell goes. You need a wee. It's just not practical to be strictly enforced. Fumbbl handle is in the best way. A loose 4 minutes.

Cyanide may have a stricter clock in theory but there's loads of ways to fudge it to get more time, it only benefits experienced cyanide players that know all the tricks. Its nothing to do with skill

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Everybody has real life, just, some people are more committed than others and play the game when they are sure they will not be disturbed by anything and anybody, not that hard to find 1 hour-time window in a day, even if you have work, family, pets, kids etc.
And, if real life happens with some unpredictable event, lose the game and suck it up, don't waste other people's time, if you have a family, pet, kid, work and play it's not my fault, you are responsible of your life and people around you, not your opponent.
If your family/work whatever is important for you, you should not play and focus your attention on it/them instead.
There are some coaches playing from work, no wonder they struggle to play turns in 4 minutes, also, they don't pay attention during opponent's turn and don't choose to use Stand Firm, Side Step, the Apo, slowing down the game even if they don't have to think hard to choose that.
Taking ages to play a turn it's a lack of respect towards the opponent, but, hey, the site would die without less committed people, so we have to play without automatic time out.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %20, %2020 - %19:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Relax Matt. I won't be playing in your "competitive" division. I hope that you have a jolly time.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow...

Just....

Wow.....

Seriously Matt. You need to get out in the world meet some people, your rants read as solipsistic at best...

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Wasting other people's time is solipsistic.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

/me googles solipsistic...

"oh"
 Jump to: