38 coaches online • Server time: 10:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should FUMBBL adopt 2 minute turns as default?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
No
73%
 73%  [ 111 ]
Only in certain leagues
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 151

Welsh_Cthulu

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I guess you are mistaking Time Wasting rule, which is a thing, with time stalling, i.e. deliberately not moving any player on your turn, or not choosing to use Stand Firm or Side Step and wasting real life time to grief the opponent.

Ah yes Smile That would be mitigated in real life by people, well, just not doing it, or getting called out by a tournament director/other players. FUMBBL and BB2 has to have some kind of time limit. It would be folly not to.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I guess you are mistaking Time Wasting rule, which is a thing, with time stalling, i.e. deliberately not moving any player on your turn, or not choosing to use Stand Firm or Side Step and wasting real life time to grief the opponent.

Thinking that opponents are not active just to grief you is solipsistic. Hope I've used my new word correctly...

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Too many people have this fixation with 4 minute turns as if 15 turns that take 90 seconds and one turn over 4 minutes is a problem but 16 turns that take 3 minutes is fine and that taking as long as you want to set up your ottd is fine because there is no timer at all.

The real time period that people should be thinking is about the overall length of the game. Is it significantly over 90 min for a regular game and 120 min for a game with overtime.

The real solution for people that want to be anal about time is a chess clock that ticks down for all turns included marking, setting up for drives etc. If we assume 90 mins is what it is suggested you should put a aside for a game then you get a clock of 45min and if you run out of time on your clock your turns are 1 min auto timeouts.

Most games I play are well under this 90 minute recommended time so only egregious time wasters would be bothered by this whilst allowing the odd key turn of 5 or 6 minuites by a player if they have played previous turns quickly.

DLE College 7s

Last edited by Matthueycamo on %b %20, %2020 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
If there is no mention of the 4 minute per turn rule and timing out, this option will be disabled in the Competitive division.

Note, though, that "time stalling" will continue to be against the rules of the site.

Are you sure that you are not taking this adhering to the official rules thing a bit too far?

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Too many people have this fixation with 4 minute turns as if 15 turns that take 90 seconds and one turn over 4 minutes is a problem but 16 turns that take 3 minutes is fine and that taking as long as you want to set up your ottd is fine because there is no timer at all.

The real time period that people should be thinking is about the overall length of the game. Is it significantly over 90 min for a regular game and 120 min for a game with overtime.

The real solution for people that want to be anal about time is a chess clock that ticks down for all turns included marking, setting up for drives etc. If we assume 90 mins is what it is suggested you should put a aside for a game then you get a clock of 45min and if you run out of time on your clock your turns are 1 min auto timeouts.

Most games I play are well under this 90 minute recommended time so only egregious time wasters would be bothered by this whilst allowing the odd key turn of 5 or 6 minuites by a player if they have played previous turns quickly.

I think we need to retain the ability to discuss this kind of stuff without using hypberbolic terms like "fixation" and "anal".
Mingoose

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
taking as long as you want to set up your ottd is fine because there is no timer at all.

Oh wow, this is me 100%. And I am never successful, making it even worse.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Christer wrote:
If there is no mention of the 4 minute per turn rule and timing out, this option will be disabled in the Competitive division.

Note, though, that "time stalling" will continue to be against the rules of the site.

Are you sure that you are not taking this adhering to the official rules thing a bit too far?

Fair question.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
New stalling rule, every 30 seconds over 4mins, your team suffers a throw a rock event

I really like this idea! Twisted Evil

DLE College 7s
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
stej wrote:
New stalling rule, every 30 seconds over 4mins, your team suffers a throw a rock event

Every 5 seconds please, thank you crowd.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mingoose wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:
taking as long as you want to set up your ottd is fine because there is no timer at all.

Oh wow, this is me 100%. And I am never successful, making it even worse.

Funny thing is I would be fine with no time limits, I've never timed anybody out in nearly 1000 games. To me it's just not conducive to the nice social experience that the game should be. If my oppo takes 90 seconds of his turn chatting to me I don't care part of being here is that interaction.

My slant really is that people that moan about 4 minuite turns need to think about the game holistically not the couple of turns a game the oppo overruns. Often from my observations many of the people that have this thing about 4 minuite turns also take as long as they want to set up a drive or mark players. They seem to think what they do is fine but want to time somebody out ASAP. Why? Competitive advantage, the rules say they can take as long as they want at certain points and at others the rules say they can end another turn for advantage and care more about winning than the social experience.

Will I care about your ottd set up? not at all, my only slight bug bear with people is when they get some players guard locked and go around initiating blocks with the same players multiple times. Yes the blocks are still 2 reds nomatter how many times you start the block. Very Happy

DLE College 7s
Welsh_Cthulu

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
stej wrote:

+1

It's totally in the spirit of Blood Bowl too!
mekutata

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Welsh_Cthulu wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:
stej wrote:

+1

It's totally in the spirit of Blood Bowl too!

You guys ridicule such a serious topic. With the implention of Zap it's kinda backward thinking to use something banal like rocks.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to have a shorter time, but as long as it's just a soft limit and not a hard limit, nothing really changes.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Christer wrote:

Might be a good idea to leave it be until deathzone is released for this edition.

We have also lost the rule in which you are granted a TD and the turncounter moves on 2 spaces if the opposition can't field any players. I would've thought this will be brought back too. But guess only time will tell.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2020 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Yikes! No love for pitch clears in 2020? That's not great.