62 coaches online • Server time: 21:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChristianKnudsen

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I am trying to figure out if I am unlucky, or a poor coach, or what.

It seems that when I get a team up to about the 150 TS level, I start to fall apart. I get there winning, but then start up with catastrophic losses and ties.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyone who has played me (or not) is free to add their two constructive cents on my coachiing - or just flame me mercilessly, if that's more your thing Cool

Anyways, any help (or funny stories) would be appreciated.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Which teams are you playing with?

My woodelves start to fall apart early on and the only advice I can give early on is buy a treeman (less casualties from free punches on the line of scrimmage)

Apart from that just genral common sense.

Dont get too close to the sidelines.
Dont let your positional players become fouling targets.
Dont let your opponent get too many free hits on your players.

The wierd thing is I've started a new darkelf team, apart from my terrible record with them, they seem to be more succeptable to injury than my woodies :/
Not quite sure why.

Post what teams ya got. I really can't be bothered to look Laughing
ChristianKnudsen

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=102359

Blackland Basherz:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=96908

I also play a skaven and a dwarf team, tho they are not so far along.

It's not really a problem with Casualties - the teams are somewhat healthy. I just can't seem to pull off a win.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not the best person to comment on the darkelves but as far as the orcs go your experiencing 'too many players' syndrome. With armour 9 you don't need 14 players.

My advice would be to fire the nigglers and reduce your team to 11 players (keeping all the non-niggled positional players i.e blitzers, black orcs, thrower). If you want more players pick up a couple of goblins maybe or even a troll. As it stands you have too many players which inflates your team rating. A few sackings keeps it low and makes your boyz play 'arder Wink

And in my humble opinion the darkelves are suffering from the same problem (too many injuries + too many players) due to the cost you might not want a mass firing till you can replace the positional players though.

Get sacking! Laughing

A few more players with tackle wouldnt hurt either in taking out those pesky dodgers. (on both teams)
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

yea thats good advise maybe 12 players though. Smile
SunTzu

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah id go for 12.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

you would Laughing

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Your Orcs need more guard and fewer players, your Dark Elves need to fire your niggles and skill up your other blitzers and Line elves. I like to get Dark Elf Blitzers to 16 SPPs (dodge tackle) unless they roll doubles then go to 31 (guard dodge sidestep) and then stop scoring with them while you work on other players. Of course at least one should have strip ball/dodge/leap. Give your linemen with guard dodge/block/sidestep. Don't take diving tackle on anyone until they already have block/dodge/sidestep.
Preserve your guards! They are the key to success at higher TRs.
And buy more rerolls: 4 is good, 5 is better.
Just two cents worth of advice from a semi-successful Dark Elf coach who wishes he had more guard Evil or Very Mad
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

For your darkies, you should take advantage of the agi 4 all-around. Spread the spp's out as much as possible, using the passing game for easy completions and spp's whenever possible. My own elven teams I won't advance one elf to his second skill til all have their first, none gets a fourth til all have their third, etc. (The exception being if cas and/or MVP nods get a player really close--say within 3--then get that player the skill first.) Granted, if somebody is in position to score and it would be hazardous to stall, then I won't risk it just b/c he's more advanced, but if I have my choice of players, then I will get the lower skill player the spp's. This way, an injury (even a ko, anything to remove them from the pitch) won't be a crucial blow like it would be if you lost your 5 skill player with nobody else above 1 or 2.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Also realize that Dark Elves just aren't very good until they hit the 200-220 range. Be proud that you've done well so far.
And pray to Nuffle for positive Fan Factor rolls or you're doomed!
Lobo_Pete

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Like others mentioned, fire nigglers to stay at 12/13 players. Once you have that many players, spend cash only on RRs until ALL your current team members have at least one skill, if not two. Then add further positionals if they are available and favor them on all SPP opportunities.
MixX

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

11 players are too few, that way even one KO or CAS will leave you with less than max players on the field - for Orcs the best is 4 Blitzers, 4 BoBs, 2 Throwers and 2 or 3 Linemen. A troll isn't really needed, in most games 4 BoBs can easily dominate the line of scrimmage for you... as for dark elves, the best strategy is to try and rule the wide-zones (using their Witch Elves) which should leave room for threatening a score with so many players that a passing game can be turned into a running game very easily - ie pour enough players downfield so that you opponent can't stop them all, or if he manages to cover most of them you'll hopefully have enough players to block and blitz a hole. And take full advantage of your relatively easy 2-turn TDs..
ChristianKnudsen

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow guys, this is awesome stuff, and much appreciated. Keep it coming!

I will take the 12-13 man limit to heart - I still live to a certain extent in the 16-player world of 2nd Edition i.e. more is better, so for me to start with less than 13 causes nervousness...

But you guys must know what you are talking about, so I will give it a try.

Next I have to figure out how to Keep The Ball Away From The Other Team when I am on offence, or how to make that hole and still have enough players to move through. Then I will try to figure out the running game...

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

What I need is a guide to figure out how to survive in the 200-225 range. I get above 200 with regularity but have only ever had one team break beyond the 225 barrier. Usually I fall due to injuries, and I realize that can't really be helped too much (beyond the obvious don't let the other guy hit you that often routine). Is that all there really is, hope to remain injury free, that's how to get beyond that threshold?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Most people who get beyond that threshold keep their niggles. If you keep comepletely injury free you can get up there but you'll go back down just as fast.