24 coaches online • Server time: 11:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The fact is I'm a fat relative of a monkey.

I don't have to consider my life in that lens, and it helps immensely if I dont.
Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Carthage wrote:
Because the only logical reason I would ever lose is because you consorted with some demonic entity to give me bad luck because my strategy is truly flawless. If we played a million times, I'd win 999,999 times but you sold your soul to dice me that one time.

At least if we ever played, I might say that.

This is exactly the energy I'm talking about except unironically.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Part of this is foundationally about why one is playing a game in the first place.
Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
We're all learning at our own pace, and there are many aspects to this game, of which sportsmanship is an important one, but still just one. Go ahead and call out bad sportsmanship, but you should also be forgiving of it to some extent, as part of growth is making mistakes. Of course, just as with bad play, coaches ideally will tend to exhibit less bad sportsmanship over time, but also just as bad habits can play into a losing streak, these improvement curves aren't consistent or linear.

Exactly how many thousands of cherry-picked games do we allow before we just say they've grown as much as they can and it's not enough?
Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Part of this is foundationally about why one is playing a game in the first place.

Can you explain further?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Waiting4Mish wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

Can you explain further?

For some, playing a game is about validating one's own smarts or aptitude, rather than being kind of a shared experience. To each their own, most times, right? Yeah - it works out most the time, but people in their own little world of what it means when they play a game, and are good at it tend to alienate others around them when the illusion is shattered even occasionally by the nature of the game.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

People have executive control of their behavior. Behaving poorly is unnecessary. I may yell at my monitor, but you wont here me coping in the chat these days. It takes energy to type something negative when the other team starts winning. If there is a passive aggressive message then I will check someone or if I am turn 16 fouled I will voice my displeasure if it is not in a league (turn 16 fouls within a league are normal and not fully malicious).

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

We can also discuss the reality we live in. Autism and Asperger's Syndrome are quite common, and will be part of the mix on FUMBBL, and any gaming community.

Loads of people love the fantasy genre.
Certain people love numbers and statistics.
Certain people love hazard/failure mitigation.

Blood Bowl is a rare 'world' where fantasy, numbers, and hazard mitigation all blend into one tactical game that can be played from the safety and security of your own home.

Any one with autism, or it's little brother, Asperger's Syndrome, who likes fantasy novels and board games is going to quickly fall in love with Blood Bowl, imho. We have those gamers here, and should be happy to have them, and everyone, who gives us players. Often good players.

When someone's behavior seems unexplainable to you, you 'could' choose to believe your opponent 'might' have a personality abnormality that they can't entirely control, and cut them some slack, or ignore them. I 'try' to.

I fully admit I experience cognitive dissonance in this regard, when it involves my 'hair trigger' issue, the use of the time-out button. I will try and refrain from justifying my malcontent at the use of that button. People use it for reasons I don't understand, and my ignorance is not someone else's problem. It's mine.

An example: Minimum chat in game, due to streaming going on in the background, is information/ a reality I am just now understanding

Don't expect too much from people. You never have the full story.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 06:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Waiting4Mish wrote:
Exactly how many thousands of cherry-picked games do we allow before we just say they've grown as much as they can and it's not enough?
Easy rule of thumb: if they're playing Blood Bowl, they're not in the ground yet, and therefore are still working on their journey.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont think playing bloodbowl is any excuse for behaving badly against opponent, we have rules on fumbbl about that.

And dont think for this particular opponent this is first time.

If he was offencive on game I suggest reporting him to admins and maybe he learns (big maybe, but still).

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Gridironman wrote:
if I am turn 16 fouled I will voice my displeasure if it is not in a league (turn 16 fouls within a league are normal and not fully malicious).

wonder when the turn 16 foul crop up again lol. Is a Turn 8 foul the same as a turn 16 foul?

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:

Don't expect too much from people. You never have the full story.

Great post.

Some people are not going to change. Some of them wouldn't want to change. Some of them won't even see what's "wrong" with what they are saying.

There are people who stayed completely within Fumbbl's rules when I played them. But I'm still not playing them again. Smile

The issue though is that a new coach encountering a couple of these people in their first few games may quit and never be seen again.

They also may well tell everyone who knows them that Fumbbl is just a hive of arse'oles.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 12:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
a fabulous post about empathy

I 100% support this post, excellent empathy.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
The_Murker wrote:

Understanding isn't necessarily the same thing as empathy. Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2023 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
The_Murker wrote:

Understanding isn't necessarily the same thing as empathy. Smile

I thought it was closely related, in that empathy is not necessarily sympathy. I.e. you can not condone certain behaviour while being empathic about where it stems from. English is not my first language though, I could be wrong.
 Jump to: