36 coaches online • Server time: 15:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

bullied by you Mully dosen't make it any better.

Bullied? What a joke. In fact, that's what this thread Cherry award is. You want to make fun of me? Bring it on, I can take it (just leave my mother out of it). What's worse are the politically correct people that get their panties up in an uproar anytime
you try and needle someone on here.

Try relaxing and having a chuckle. And believe me, every coach in the top 200 is a bit of a cherry picker one way or another (me included).

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

@inquisitorpustus: But it's funny! *hoots, whistles and swings arms in a silly way*

Seriously though, there is obviously a difference between playing the occasional game against weaker teams/coaches and doing it systematically.

On a less serious note again, cherry picking is frowned upon for the same reason stealing cookies from kids is frowned upon. It's too easy, and kids are sensitive beings... If you're gonna be a criminal, rob Fort Knox! I think Cookie Stealers can stand being made light fun of with a tongue-in-cheek attitude. Dammit, I'll even go for that Cherry myself! (Not too far away this month with my 0.96 difficulty rating...)
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Quote:

bullied by you Mully dosen't make it any better.

Bullied? What a joke. In fact, that's what this thread Cherry award is. You want to make fun of me? Bring it on, I can take it (just leave my mother out of it). What's worse are the politically correct people that get their panties up in an uproar anytime
you try and needle someone on here.

Try relaxing and having a chuckle. And believe me, every coach in the top 200 is a bit of a cherry picker one way or another (me included).

Essentially youve created an entire thread calling someone a useless cheat who picks on new players har har err har.

Not very funny really.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG Mully that's too damn funny! when August is over, I'll attend the Cherry Ceremony. I hope Muttesmutte makes an acceptance speech! "For shallow glory, is better than no glory!!"

Inq, we all run into new coaches from time to time, but you can't win the cherry by merely stumbling into it. It can only be achieved by displaying a long driven *pattern* of which games you choose to play. That's definitely done with forethought. Besides, if someone thinks they've mis-earned the Cherry, they can always explain why that's so.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Why should they have to explain themselves to you lot?

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Essentially youve created an entire thread calling someone a useless cheat who picks on new players har har err har.

1) I didnt create the thread . Tautology did - but I thought the idea was damn funny.
2) Where did you see the words "useless" and cheat" in my post? You must be confused. I used the term cherry - big difference.
3) Where did I say he picked on new players? You know you really ought to work on your reading comprehension skills.

BTW did we mention the winner gets an ice cream sundae with a ....... you guessed it ......Cherry on top.

And on a more serious note, the contest is NOT intended to get anyone in trouble.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Well, with only 4 days to go it looks like the competition for the August Cherry is a runaway. Coach Muttesmutte with a record of 27-2-0 and a difficulty rating of 0.88 is far and away the best Cherry in the bunch. This "highly ranked" (#51 overall) coach from Sweden has used his 11-0-0 Norse squad to pummell the opposition.

Of course, with an average STR difference of +22.9/game over the last 10 games this Norse team has rarely faced an opponent of equal ability. Also impressive is the undefeated skaven team who has played with an average +26.0 STR difference over the past 5 games. Yes, with a +33 and +36 STR difference in their last 2 games, this team knows how to flirt with the +40 rule without crossing the line.

Congrats on being a lock for the 1st Cherry well-earned.

Muttesmutte does not deserve the golden cherry. Even thogh it seems he tried hard to teach unexperienced players how to win against weaker teams, this didn't earn him the championship august. If you want to present him an award he should get the sour cherry for trying hard but comeing short.

The golden cherry should go to the player who is playing up TS-wise, but with very little chance of loosing any games and with having something to show for it.

I would suggest to give the golden cherry to the top ten championship-coach who tried hardest to teach the most unexperienced coaches how to win with low TS-teams against low CR-coaches. Those have something to show for cherry-picking. Good Strategies should be honored.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Quote:

1) I didnt create the thread . Tautology did - but I thought the idea was damn funny.
2) Where did you see the words "useless" and cheat" in my post? You must be confused. I used the term cherry - big difference.
3) Where did I say he picked on new players? You know you really ought to work on your reading comprehension skills.

BTW did we mention the winner gets an ice cream sundae with a ....... you guessed it ......Cherry on top.

And on a more serious note, the contest is NOT intended to get anyone in trouble.

1) You carried it on and decided to actually name people who by your own standards dont deserve their ranking

2) The essence of 'cherrypicking' is that the relevant coach cant win games against a closely matched opponent and therefore plays down therefore being 'useless' and since its an accusation the implication is that he has 'cheated' his way up the rankings.

3) More experienced players would see it coming and therefore the accusation is that he consistantly picks on newer coaches that cant tell what a good matchup is.

This contest does get him into trouble because It gives him a bad reputation which he has to defend in this pointless thread if he wants to avoid 'hmmm i'm not playing you, you cheat' whenever he looks for a game against someone who reads this thread and takes it to heart.

I'm pretty sure there are fumbbl rules against this kind behaviour and this thread should probably (hopefully) be locked.
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG get a life ..........ahh wait .... get a sense of humor first then get a life.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

There are funnier threads that dont involve picking on people who arent here to defend themselves. Its not big, its not clever its very very sad.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Get a life Inq. Seriously. Im a crappy coach, my coach rating and win record is very bad, but gee are you worried this might be striking a bit close to home? C'mon, its a joke, if the top players out there cant take take it then why play? Some of them may even be interested in trying to win it on purpose.
You say you are helping newbies by playing them with a superior team? How? Teach em with an equal team, or one that has a much closer tr/ts.
Its no fun to learn by being pummelled.

Any how...remeber...its all about having FUN.Very Happy
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Angus wrote:
Get a life Inq. Seriously. Im a crappy coach, my coach rating and win record is very bad, but gee are you worried this might be striking a bit close to home? C'mon, its a joke, if the top players out there cant take take it then why play? Some of them may even be interested in trying to win it on purpose.
You say you are helping newbies by playing them with a superior team? How? Teach em with an equal team, or one that has a much closer tr/ts.
Its no fun to learn by being pummelled.

Any how...remeber...its all about having FUN.Very Happy

The 'top' players might want to just play without being whined at by people who doubt their success. Try speccing a purplechest or wossel game sometime you'll realise that these guys are earning the top spots (and why the rest of us aren't).

I never said I played newbies with a supreior team in unranked just that I had to dissuade them from using tactics that werent going to work (giving his human team outpunching my orc team as an example) If everyone jumped at the chance to help someone in chat who asked for help getting to grips with this game then we could bring new people in better and have more potential opponents later.

I've actually arranged a match for later playing my brand new unranked woodies against a new players 4 game old dwarves. Essentially the plan being he realises to beat fast low av teams. That seems like a pretty poor matchup from my point of view.

I hate unranked with a passion its really really dull, but is someones asking for help then i'm prepared to make an exception.

And I have fun on the pitch not by picking on people who may or may not be willing to defend their corner. Thats pretty shabby.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 18:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

While this thread continues to be unedifying and amusing in equal portions, there is something i would like cleared up?

What exactly is cherry picking?

Is it playing new players when you are experienced?
Is it playing lower teams with a higher? If so is that based on tr or str?
Is it playing stronger races against races that are weaker?
Is it playing lower rated coaches?
Is it playing over rated coaches?
Is it playing games you know you will win?
Is it playing coaches you think you've worked out?
Is it playing only skillsets you like to face?

Because it seems we use the label 'Cherry Picking' very widely when all the above are practised by the vast majority of people to varying degrees.

I would be interested to see the lines drawn, and in who feels they have the moral right to draw them.

For the record I care not at all wether people percieve me as a Cherry Picker or not, but casually applied labels are rarely a good thing, and mostly just serve to spread, reinforce and encourage agression and devisiveness.
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

What exactly is cherry picking?

Is it playing new players when you are experienced? Yes
Is it playing lower teams with a higher? If so is that based on tr or str? Yes
Is it playing stronger races against races that are weaker? Yes
Is it playing lower rated coaches? Yes
Is it playing over rated coaches? Yes
Is it playing games you know you will win? Yes
Is it playing coaches you think you've worked out? Yes
Is it playing only skillsets you like to face? Yes

Thats basically why I said the top 200 coaches on FUMBBL do it in one way or another. Basically most players don't start an open game that they think they dont have a 50/50 shot at winning. Now some coaches do the above more than others. (dark cherries vs light cherries)

But none of this is related to Tautology's original idea. And that is a silly award for the monthly FUMBBL Championship coach with the lowest Diff rating. This doesn't take into account races played, coach rating difference, coach experience, etc. The only other criteria that I applied was the coach had to be in the top 100 of the monthly championship. (because you dont want to sift through 1000 coaches and 100 is a good enough pool).

It just so happens the current leader is also a high ranked Open coach, but that may not be the case in any given month. Also, remember not ANY cherry can win. Since to qualify you have to be in the Championship top 100, only the very best Cherry can take home the championship. Coaches whose Diff are at 0.88 or lower and are ranked poorly are just know as Rotten Cherries.

And to those Brits who have no sense of humor, dont bother reading since you don't get it anyway.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

You seem to be reitterating this sense of humour point like a broken record, hinting in some way that people who find this a bit pathetic are missing the point.

Well Im not convinced I have yet. To quote the salient point above 'For the record I care not at all wether people percieve me as a Cherry Picker or not, but casually applied labels are rarely a good thing, and mostly just serve to spread, reinforce and encourage agression and devisiveness.'

Listen and learn funny people.
 Jump to: