64 coaches online • Server time: 21:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

And to those Brits who have no sense of humor, dont bother reading since you don't get it anyway

and yet he keeps responding ....

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I´m gonna have to agree with Inq on this one..."the golden cherry" is name-calling at its worst, judgemental and bad for the community spirit . I think it´s a very bad idea

btw i still think that "cherry-picking" doesn´t exist as a phenomenon. (/spell check)

M
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm unfunny Danes too. I know lets play the funny nationality game.

Two down folks hundreds to go. Come be insulted by mully its fun for all the family! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I think this has gone far enough. It was funny to start with, but as soon as names started being named it went just that little bit too far. The ensuing flame war has also degraded into calling each other stupid.

I suggest a cease-fire before this topic has to be locked. (I may not be able to do that myself but I have a useful Summon Grumbledook spell)

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Wish I knew that one Sad

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

about labels would you be so kind to remove the label of jinxed to the dices I throw?
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh nope they're here to stay Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

maybe an ex-orc-ise?
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
about labels would you be so kind to remove the label of jinxed to the dices I throw?

You roll my dice? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Who's crappy dice am I rolling then???

Wink
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

PurpleChest said:
Is it playing new players when you are experienced?
Is it playing lower teams with a higher? If so is that based on tr or str?
Is it playing stronger races against races that are weaker?
Is it playing lower rated coaches?
Is it playing over rated coaches?
Is it playing games you know you will win?
Is it playing coaches you think you've worked out?
Is it playing only skillsets you like to face?

Because it seems we use the label 'Cherry Picking' very widely when all the above are practised by the vast majority of people to varying degrees.

Quote:

Which is what I meant by:
This is more than one way to pick a cherry and no formula or calculus can discern them all.

Yes, almost every high rated coach (including me) engages in this to some degree. That's why we are highly rated. If we REALLY picked games that we thought were a 50-50 shot (playing only coaches that we knew to be excellent and playing up in strength to make up for any "perceived" difference in ability AND playing against skill sets that could hammer us) then we wouldn't have significantly winning records. It is an inevitable part of having a competitive league with an open schedule. And I don't judge any coach too harshly in this, lest I be judged myself.
But really, what is wrong with special recognition for the few who manage to play all or nearly all of their games against opposition that would have a hard time winning if they rolled nothing but blitzes when kicking off and never suffered a turnover? Because a good coach playing down 10-15% in strength with the right team can win those matches, trust me. Or some special recognition for the art of seeking out coaches who are still in their first 10 games and haven't really grasped the basic concepts yet?
As Mully and others point out, it is not by chance that this occurs...you really do have to work at it. And such dedication should be rewarded, IMO.
Perhaps the "unfair" part is awarding these retroactively. I suppose that if someone really didn't want to receive the award for some reason, they could select different opponents and play a few more evenly matched games( and where is the harm to the community in that?) But if they feel they are getting sand-bagged by an honor they didn't know existed...I suppose I can understand how that seems unfair. Kind of like a newbie coach who gets talked into playing his young Amazons against an experienced Dwarf coach, they feel that this is somehow unfair in an unexpected way (just a theoretical example, I have not actually witnessed this but I feel certain that it has happened).
Are we all so serious about things that we can't even make fun of this game we play and how we play it? They're just pixels people! (except my teams...hehe! They have a life of their own Wink )

Quote:

PurpleChest said:
I would be interested to see the lines drawn, and in who feels they have the moral right to draw them.
For the record I care not at all wether people percieve me as a Cherry Picker or not, but casually applied labels are rarely a good thing, and mostly just serve to spread, reinforce and encourage agression and devisiveness.

Well I agree with your sentiment but I can't help but feel it is somewhat misapplied here. I am talking about a formulaic calculation of certain discrete constants, not drawing moral lines. Neither math nor logic can bridge the fact-value gap and it would be foolish to try. And it is the fact that we have labels of "Champion" and "Highest Ranked Coach" that bring us to this point. I would argue that it is competition that encourages aggression and and devisiveness...not a bad thing as long as we keep it in proper perspective (i.e. limit it to this game we play and keep it out of our larger concept of the people who we play it with).
And for the record PurpleChest, I don't think you are a cherry picker any more than the rest of us. You play fair games for the most part and win because you play them well. And like you, I don't particularly care if people perceive me as a cherry picker either; I'll play the games I want to play and politely refuse the games I don't want for reasons that are entirely my own. That's the beauty of this place Smile
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

So, when this thread started, I thought it could go one of two ways.

If Tautology was serious, this would turn into a bunch of jokes and wasted memory on a computer, far, far away.

If he was joking, then people would take him seriosly and try to figure out how to impliment it.

Seems that it has bounced back and forth.

Inqui- did you ever consider that Muttesmutte and Mully know each other? There are a few coaches on here that I know in RL and I'm sure that is not unique to me. If anyone wants to get offended at Mully, it seems that right would be Muttesmutte. All you have done here (IMHO) is to try to create ill intent where none existed.

If I feel like playing, I will accept any legal challenge I feel I can at least draw (unless trying to recover, then I may be willing to take a non-lethal loss). I enjoy seeing the typing style of my opponent change when they realize that winning isn't the goal I have in mind.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I had no real problem with this thread until an actual name was mentioned. Its not for us to police ranked division and highlight coaches who we feel have consistantly gained an unfair advantage. I dont think its very fair to name these people without their knowledge.

If mully had pm'd this guy, explained what he was doing and had gotten confirmation that he didnt mind his name being mentioned here then I wouldnt mind. I don't expect everyone to be happy and nice to each other but threads like this overstep the mark when names are mentioned.

If people are going to make threads like this and they are friends its probably best to explain that before other people post since, as it is worded it just seems pretty offensive.

If the administration staff want to come up with a good system for spotting these kind of players, have a problem with it and care about chastising them for their actions thats fine but I think it should probably be done in private Wink

Alot of your success on fumbbl comes down to your reputation I find. If you foul on turn 8, whine during games or genrally behave badly your reputation preceedes you and you might find it hard to get games or friends.

No one should have to defend themselves on the forums from anything even if its widely known that they engage in activities that are unpopular.

Cmon ladies and gents lets just go and play some Blood Bowl Very Happy
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

whine during games

Now THAT I take offense to Evil or Very Mad

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

There ya go common ground now you just need to start 'The golden whinge' (joke) Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I had no real problem with this thread until an actual name was mentioned. Its not for us to police ranked division and highlight coaches who we feel have consistantly gained an unfair advantage. I dont think its very fair to name these people without their knowledge.

actually, it is the general publics' obligation to police and report suspected abuse (without even their knowledge you are doing so). The usual punishment for pattern cherry picking is forced retirement of teams... with that, any winner of Mully's Golden Cherry is actually getting off easy. Especially if everyone takes it light-heartily (which Mully and others have stated so).

but you are right about one thing...this needs to be sanctioned by the admins before it continues any longer.

admins? any ruling on this?