47 coaches online • Server time: 18:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah if they be slow I go wash the scurvy dishes and swab the poop deck in their turn.

If'n I ain't hearing yonder wee bell then I ken they be taking some of their own medicine.

You should use your spare time to write strategy guides, Yarrr!

Ten months at sea will do that to a man.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

as someone said earlier, there is a time-limit in chess too. time pressure is part of the strategy. and you don't even need to think as much as in chess, since luck is involved anyway, and you can never predict the result of a move ahead of time.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Between 75 and 90 is good... 120 min is too much!

i m used to play with 4 min rule... 4 min rule is great!

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
as someone said earlier, there is a time-limit in chess too. time pressure is part of the strategy

It's not a part of BloodBowl, tho. Smile

I agree about slow players and their ability to stress... Still, I think that any talk about a time limit or whatever would be a bad mistake.

I play fumbbl for fun, not to be in a hurry. I LIVE in a hurry, and when I play I just need some relax. I don't mean I take 10 mins to play a single turn, but I would hate ppl telling me "play quick" just as much (if not even more) than a player who takes a snap between the first and the second half. Wink

Just my two pence
(and NO, I am not a slow player)
Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

4 min rule is not made to play in a hurry... it s made so your opponement will not be borring while you re playing...

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:

i m used to play with 4 min rule... 4 min rule is great!

2 players.
16 turns each.
4 minutes á turn.

without setup that's 128 minutes Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:

90 is bit too much for me.
Most of my games(lately) have ended before 60 min came up, so 60 min sounds good to me.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Blutflut wrote:
remember the name and don't play him again Smile

yup thats what i do, though ill accept anything close to 4 min
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

in all honesty, i can't think of a game where you have to think more than 2 minutes in a turn, thus making a 1h-game.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, either ur not very strategic minded or your a very fast strategic seer Smile
Or VERY unlucky, never moving all of ur players, due to turnovers Wink
Topper

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

And all the times people have whined about me being slow, they have lost - big. 4,5,6 - 0.
I think it´s as much a way of expressing ur frustrations. Allthough some people are desperately bad, and desperately slow.
Usually noobs I guess.
phillier

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Slow and lucky is the worst. I once played a guy who broke my armor nearly every block... I had 4 players on the field, 3 of them stunned, and he still took 5 minute turns. Also this slow play epidemic has crept into stunty. Now dont tell me there needs to be strategy in stunty, for christ's sake you are just trying to kill the little bastards. My last two stunty games, one took 90 min the next I conceded after 50 minutes in the first half...that is excruciating.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I still advocate the 2 minute turns. My league on TT that I run works with that rule... makes for faster games, and a lot of fun to see people muck up at times...

Z
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

find something else to do while plsying thst tskes equally as long
Like painting
then when your oppo goes.....YOUR MOVE!!!!!!!!
say sory i just have to do my third stage highlight on the skin of this imp...shouldn't take more then 20 mins ....Be right their Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2004 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I could write a report about this subject but here are just a few tips.

If you don't enjoy slow games:

* avoid unexperienced coaches - If someone has only played a few games it will naturally take a bit longer for them. On the positive side it can be entertaining to play against them, since some of them might have unorthodox tactics.

* avoid high ranked players (unless you know them) - People who strive for high ranks tend to be slower. Playing extra slow is even a very good tactic, since it can bring your opponent out of focus.

* avoid people who say that they have slow connection or link problems - Reloading the game takes time.

* avoid notorious slow players - When you play someone slow make a note so you remember it, warn your friends.

* play against your friends - When you play a game against someone who you liked, make a note so you remember it.

* be cautious with playing against teams with many sidesteppers/diving tacklers

* play in stunty leeg - Games go faster in average, and atleast to my experience stunty coaches are faster in general.

I also have some tips on how to play faster:

* Think in the opponents turn - You can pretty much start planning your next move after you finished your last one. If the opponent makes something unexpected you can alter the plan. The time invested still will develop your tactical skills.

* Think before you start moving - I believe that if you take a little extra time at the begining of your turn to think the situation over, you will be able to move your players faster once you start. Some coaches seem to think 30 seconds or more before moving each player, and I really wonder if it's even efficient. Also from your opponents perspective, you rather wait a while in the bigining of your turn, than sitting watching you move one player each minute.

* When you move your players try to move them fast - It might cost you 1 missclick every 5th game or so, but it's still worth it. I've played against elfs who moved one square /second, truly painful. You don't have to sprint, just move descently fast.

* Gamble - Bloodbowl is in many aspects a game about luck. If you can make a pass with 20% success that will be a winner, rather do that instead of putting up a box which in the end might not give you a better chance to score. It's faster to play offensive than to play defensive.

* Stalling the clock - Some people do this out of tactics, but you can also do it to speed up the game. Doing setups takes time aswell.

* talk when it's not your turn to move
 Jump to: