52 coaches online • Server time: 18:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which skill should my pump wagon take?
Guard
30%
 30%  [ 18 ]
Kick
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Pass Block
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Piling On
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Shadowing
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Strip Ball
26%
 26%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 60

hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2004 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

A pump wagon on my Stunty Leeg snotling team Nose Dung has actually survived to earn a third skill. With the important block and tackle already taken, what is my best option for the third skill? The roll is regular, with no aging (yea!). All of my options are as follows: break tackle, dirty player, guard, kick, multiple block, pass block, piling on, shadowing, strip ball, sure hands.

I'm pretty certain that break tackle, dirty player, multiple block, and sure hands would be wasted, as they cannot be used with pump wagons as far as I know. I am uncertain as to whether or not the others work, so I put the rest in the poll. If you know for sure that any of the skills in the poll do not work with pump wagons, please let me know.

Otherwise, please vote for what you think would be my best choice, and (if you want), explain your vote in text. Thanks for your help!

~hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2004 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

1- how could you take block and tackle? I thought Pump Wagons had General access removed...

2- I'd go strip ball... who cares... with block and tackle, you don't need anything else.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2004 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

i thought pumpwagons couldn't get general on normal rolls......so how is kick available?
Alanir

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2004 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so maybe he's had the pump wagon for a while, or maybe he rolled 2 doubles. Either way, the crazy pump-wagon of doom has block-tackle. Assuming they don't get General anymore, since they did remove that as others have stated, I'd go with guard, because the way the client works they still offer assists. He can't take strip ball/kick, pileon, multiblock, and break tackle are useless, and he has mighty blow already. This only leaves guard as a useful skill, so there ya go.
hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had this pump wagon for awhile, and earned block quite a while ago, but I was able to choose tackle on a normal roll after the announcement that the new pump wagons didn't have access to general skills. I remember this distinctly, as I was very surprised to have tackle available.

I figure that either a) old pump wagons can still take general skills, b) the changes have not yet been made, or c) there's a bug.

Regardless, the skills above are all of the skills that the client indicated that I could take after my roll, so those are my choices. They obviously include both general and strength skills, for whatever reason.

I think I'm leaning towards guard, as it might be useful on occasion on the line of scrimmage. Strip ball would also be useful at times. Those two skills are the only ones of my choices that I have heard actually work with pump wagons... the rest I'm not even sure would work. Does anyone know if I could even use kick, pass block, piling on, and/or shadowing?

My guess is "no" to shadowing, since there isn't a tackle zone to dodge away from. I don't think I would want piling on even if it works, since I don't want my pump wagon laying down. Razz I doubt I would want kick, since it is generally best to put the wagon on the line of scrimmage, negating the skill (if it works), although it would be useful at times to try to prevent a TTM one-turner. Pass block might be cool if I get to make free blocks along the way, even though there isn't a ton of passing in stunty.

Keep the input coming! Smile

Thanks,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

As you can't position yourself to make proper ues of guard makes me think that kick might be a really good idea. It's nice with a kicker and this way you save a stunty double for DP or block.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I take it that multiple block does not work with Pump wagons. Does it work with finatics or Deathrollers?
hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure it doesn't work with fanatics, since you can't control the block (just like pump wagons), but I can't see why deathrollers couldn't take it.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Alanir wrote:
...I'd go with guard, because the way the client works they still offer assists...

For the record, this is basically cheating and can get you into trouble.

We all know that fanatics do not give assists - it's part of the description of a fanatic. Using a bug in the client to make your fanatics give assists is against the rules. Now, I know some astute readers will look at the rules page and say, "Ah hah! I got you now! The order of precedence says that client bugs come first!"

That is indeed correct but in this case, you have the option of following the rest of the rules as well... by not giving your fanatic the skill that exploits a bug in the client. Just because client bugs come first, doesn't mean you aren't responsible for following the rest of them.

Granted, it's a pretty minor thing.... but whenever I see a sentence like that one, I just feel the need to bring it up, to make sure that people realize this. It is cheating. It is wrong. It is against the rules. And, technically, it can get you banned or blocked. It probably won't... but it can.

So, not guard. Just hope for doubles.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

i've seen tons of people take advantage of other bugs.........ie pushing standfirm players on multi-push blocks. people don't care if they break rules..........
hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo, thanks for the tip! I had no idea that it was a bug, and I certainly don't want to take advantage of something like that.

Would it be considered exploiting a bug if I took a general skill instead of a strength skill, seeing as how pump wagons aren't supposed to have general access anymore? Is it even a bug that I have those options?

~hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2004 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I wanted to play, so I had to pick something. I took pass block, since it seems like fun if it works, and might be kinda useful at some point. Strip ball was another good option, but with block and tackle, the likelihood that I would need it is minimized.

My rookie pump wagon rolled doubles for its first skill, so it's off to a good start with block. Smile I was kinda hoping for a regular roll to see if I had both G and S access, but I'll take the doubles. Smile

~hunter

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2004 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You could have just looked if you had Dauntless, Leade or NoS there...

But did you try your team already? It'd be nice to know wether or not pump wagons can use that pass block extra movement. =)
odi

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2004 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

tassel wrote:

It'd be nice to know wether or not pump wagons can use that pass block extra movement. =)

Pass block "works" on them, but it's buggy. They are allowed to move 6 moves on pass block turn, and if they hit anything while moving, it's just like you had blocked them with a pump wagon. So this kinda makes you wonder, what the fumbbl official opinion is about using pass block with a pump wagon. If you move only 3 times, what if you don't manage to move the pump into the designated squares, and what if the wagon blocks something while moving?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2004 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Nonetheless, it's fun a Pass Blocking Pump Wagon... Just like a Pass Block Fanatic...
Shocked