41 coaches online • Server time: 15:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is playing for a tie sissy?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 46 ]
No
73%
 73%  [ 125 ]
Total Votes : 171

keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I should be more specific on why I thought of this topic. Heres the game.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=690562

Maybe I was being a little sissy, but in my defense the kick was deep on turn 6 of the second half. I could have scored with 2 turns of double sprints. The TD I did get was flukey and I was having trouble against him. The odds of me losing the ball, in my opinion were very high. So I chose the tie. Sissy I know but what could I do? I did get two sauruses break tackle and one with block after the game though. So now I might have gone for the win, but not in that game.

Jeffro
Uber

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:

It´s turn 6 2nd half (you recieved). You are back 0-1. Your dwarves have the ball and can score against those dodgy Highelves.
According to your comments, you never play for a tie and always score. So I guess you would score now and try to turn over the ball and score in 2 turns, right?

If the elves are bashed up, which they should be by now, I would score and challenge them to score in two turns. I don't play dwarves often, but with all those tackles and a decent defensive setup, I think they should be able to hold them. Unlike many I guess, I just love playing defense. It's much more satisfying to hold them to a tie if you give them the ball back then if you stall.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

You made the right tactical choice, trying to score a TD with Lizardmen after a deep kick while facing a skilled coach would just have been stupid.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The fans don't like draws. A draw gives the same chance for the ff-roll as a loss. A win however raises the chances.

Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I guess I should be more specific on why I thought of this topic. Heres the game.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=690562

Maybe I was being a little sissy, but in my defense the kick was deep on turn 6 of the second half. I could have scored with 2 turns of double sprints. The TD I did get was flukey and I was having trouble against him. The odds of me losing the ball, in my opinion were very high. So I chose the tie. Sissy I know but what could I do? I did get two sauruses break tackle and one with block after the game though. So now I might have gone for the win, but not in that game.

With one skink left, it would have take a minimum of 3 turns to score - no chance. Playing for the tie (and player preservation) was your only option.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Doubleskulls ows you an apology Keggie

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

No he doesn't. He wanted to hurt my best Saurus. Plain and simple. No hard feelings here. Thanks for the support though.

Jeffro
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
No he doesn't. He wanted to hurt my best Saurus. Plain and simple. No hard feelings here. Thanks for the support though.

He pretty much called you a coward in the match report for using a valid tactic, that is pretty rude IMO.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I wish Ian "Double Skulls" Williams would write in and give his opinion.

Jeffro
Gertwise

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I would have gone for the TD. But then again, I always try to go for the TD. Even if I'm playing an uber elf team and I'm playing with dwarves and it's turn 4 of the 2nd half and they have a 1 turn TD elf and I only have 2 longbeards on the field in a blizzard and I have to make 4 GFI's with no rerolls and I also have to make 4 5+ dodges and they are only AG 1 and 2 STR and all the rest of my team is dead and I will have to defend with these 2 longbeards that have been hit by morley's revenge and one got duh where am I?

And if I get the TD, well that's just the stuff that legends are made of.
Rextreme

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
@Nordmark and Wizard:
It´s turn 6 2nd half (you recieved). You are back 0-1. Your dwarves have the ball and can score against those dodgy Highelves.
According to your comments, you never play for a tie and always score. So I guess you would score now and try to turn over the ball and score in 2 turns, right?

Always play for the win... It gives such a boost of confidence and besides it's a great play you have to pull off to win...

The greatest thing in this game in my opinion is winning aganst all odds... Besides scoring a td in turn 7 and winning on a blitz in the next kickoff, can make my day for several weeks...
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2005 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Some people take this game far too seriously.

Taffsadar - I didn't call him a coward. I said he took the most negative option. He didn't even try to score, inspite of having an MA9 skink, 2 rerolls & 3 turns (from where the ball landed he could have safely caged up 17 squares from my endzone).

Colin - I really dislike playing BB in such a negative fashion. Very occassionally I do it myself - but that doesn't mean I like it. Also I really dislike the "team building" is all mentality. It encourages negative and cautious approaches to game play - and encourages the whining about fouling etc.

keggiemckill - sorry if you feel a turn 16 foul in a Block saurus (apparently your best player Rolling Eyes ) when I didn't have DP is such an outrage. Laughing

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

DoubleSkulls wrote:
I really dislike playing BB in such a negative fashion. Very occassionally I do it myself - but that doesn't mean I like it. Also I really dislike the "team building" is all mentality. It encourages negative and cautious approaches to game play - and encourages the whining about fouling etc.

I hadn't noticed the skink had +Ma. I counted the squares up, and he could have made it in the time available, assuming unimpeded progress. Nevertheless, I don't think I'd have fancied his chances, and I understand how he felt at the time; I've had games where I've played badly and the dice have been against me, and decided to settle for what I have - it was his right to choose this option. Looking at his record, a tie vs a member of the BBRC isn't a bad result.

Unfortunately, T16 fouls carry a stigma, regardless of your reasons for them. They don't help.

I totally agree about the team building mentality, but I don't think it has much to do with this argument (a Block Saurus is a good player! Smile) . I believe BadMrMojo wrote something about empathy and placing oneself in another's shoes. I think a little of that could do here. I suggest you shake hands and have another game sometime, gentlemen.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have ill will towards Double Skulls and I would gladly buy him a beer. I don't remember being that close to your endzone though. Like I said before I scored the only time in flukey fasion and figured that going for the score would have been pushing my luck. Sure I had 2 RRs left so I did have a chance to score. I most likely would have given up the ball, since it was apparent that Dskulls was a more experienced player than I. I don't think that keeping him from the win was negative. I felt a tie was my only choice at the time. I also don't think I whined about the foul. I mentioned it because I thought it was bad form. I didn't intend this to go that route though. I just wanted to know what others thought about playing for a tie.

Jeffro
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2005 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

As soon as the chances for a loss are higher than for a win, if I score right now, then I won´t score.

That´s just simple.

@DoubleSkulls:
Fouling at turn 16, because you lost the game put you in the same class as albator2001. You gain nothing from it and just try to lessen the joy of your opponent about his "success". It tells alot about the coach´s personality. Fouling because you have to accept the tie, is even worse IMO.
 Jump to: