96 coaches online • Server time: 21:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Just got my 2nd WW in my RL league, and my problem is I'm so paranoid about them monopolizing SPs and then getting killed that I'm almost afraid to use them. In my last game, my sole WW got BH and sidelined for the whole match (and I still won! thank you FUMBBL for letting me "playtest" a no-WW Necro team to prepare for this sort of thing!).

So... what do experienced Necro coaches do? Leash their wolves to try to preserve them, or let them run riot and devil take the consequences?

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Use your wolves to wreak havoc among the opponent lines. Kill, shred, tear, run, score and gather Spps.

No Wolf will ever make it uninjured to game 10 (well, very few), so just play, win, gather money and FF through casualties and Tds. And when a wolfie dies, just buy another one and repeat the whole process. Wink
As for the rest of the team... Zombies are cheap and affordable cannon fodder, you just use them to stop the incoming threats and keep them occupied. Fleh Golems are as immortal as any BB player can be (ST4, regenerate, thick skull, av9). So you are very likely to have some spare cash after a few games. Smile

NOTE: A friend of mine plays Necros without ghouls... and he has an amazing winning record vs any other team. Pros: he keeps the TR low, he doesn't have two av7 players who cannot use apo nor regenerate, he saves money. Cons: he has a little less agile team, and plays necros a little bashier. And he always uses wolves at their utmost potential. Matter of personal taste, I suppose, but he claims this works wonders.

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I get that with all my teams. I find if 1 player is hogging all the SSP I must level the others up accordingly. I think anu decent coach would want their team to be roughly on the same level with perhaps having a few stars.

Shepherd

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Two different perspectives already!

Other Necro coaches online have mentioned skipping the Ghouls, too. I started with one WW and one Wight and I'm not seeing much need for the second wight if the Ghouls skill up to block soon. One of them is at ST4, so he's currently my pet. Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

My werewolves soaked up the SPP in the initial games... but the rest of the team have since started to catch them up... I've had some very nice skill rolls... but I can't really play bashy teams as such as half my team (zombies) are unskilled (ie no block) and they just get mashed, and leave the others exposed to blitz and fouls...

My team: http://fumbbl.com./FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=142652

The long and short of it is, yes, I get very worried about my WW's too... no apoth, and people ou there will quite rightly do their level best to get rid of the TD and casualty threat that the WWs are... Stupidly I hardly play with this team through fear... hence I can see where you are coming from!
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2005 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

In the RL league, you can't choose your opponents... so I have to play the bashers as well as the non-bashers. Sad

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2005 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Blitz with them a lot but don't leave them hanging in the opponents backfield waiting for handovers, they will eventually be fouled to death that way. Never leave a wolf out in the open if you can avoid it.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2005 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel it depends on how long term you want to think about it. If the team is a for a relatively short tourney then use the wolves to thier fullest. If instead you are building a team up for a tourney down the road, then hold them back, or dont hire them at all, so your other players can build up.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I cant fathom developing a player without an apothecary. In short, without one, your wolf will INEVITABLY die - HAhaahhahahah. I cannot help getting attached, somtimes romantically, to my players, and, therefore, I do not play necro. But if you don't care about developing interesting players, e.g., ww, for the long term play necro
Uber

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Like the other guy said, use them, but don't leave them hanging. The thing with necros is that they don't have that many ag3 guys, just 6 maximum. You can't count on the zombies and golems to pick up the ball and score touchdowns.

It may be difficult for you to score if you lose 1 or 2 ag3 player early in the game, that's why I think it's safe to have some back ups. Ghouls are cheap and easy to skill up. They also don't need a lot of skills to be very effective. Block and Side Step is enough for them to be quite an annoyance.

I also usually field less of these fragile players when I'm playing defense. Here are my typical setups on defense:

Code:

z=zombie, f=flesh golem, W=wolf, x=wight
This is soft set up, where you let the opponent into your zone. Effective vs bashers and running teams, it allows you to position according to the other team. Notice that everything that can't regen is protected in the middle.
----|z--z--z|----
----|-------|----
----|f--z--f|----
----|-W---W-|----
----|---g---|----
----|x-----x|----

This is a more robust setup vs. agile teams which I started using just recently. The two ghouls need side step to make it most effective. If you dont have those, it's probably safer to switch them with the wights. Remember that a guy with block will be left standing 4 out of 9 times, which is almost 50%.
----|z--z--z|----
----|-------|----
-f--|g--z--g|--f-
---x|---W---|x---

While I've seen people do differently, I would advise to NEVER put your golems on the line. Against a team that has any bashing power, they could be going up and down for most of the half without being of any use.

Anyway, the line of scrimmage isn't where the TDs are being scored, therefore that's not where you should be directing your attention. The zombies are the perfect meatbags to put on the line and have the opponent bash at. While he'll be using his actions there, you'll be running around him with the rest of your team to stop any scoring threat.

Some people don't realize that one of the basic limitation of the game is that you can never have more than 11 actions per turn. If you put a zombie next to an opposing player of equal strength, he's going to need 1 action to get an assist and then another one to block him. If you've got 3 zombies in the position, that means he's going to need more than half the team to block them. Your goal is to have your opponent waste as many as possible of his 11 actions on the zombies, to get the advantage on controlling the field.

Back to the wolves, don't be afraid to bench your them if you don't need them. I personally think one is enough for defense, use it blitz and claw the most dangerous scoring threat every turn and then bring em back to safety. A second one would be likely to end up in harm's way.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice post Uber...

How would you set up to receive?, say against a heavy STR4 team, like Chaos or Orcs?

I ask as I have had a pm or two since my post above, and was wondering how to play a "bashy" team without getting mashed. I've said many times that I haev no doubt that a Necro team could beat a bashy team, but they wouldn't necessarily have much of a team left afterwards, especially if they played two bashy teams in a row...
Synn

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2005 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Team Management....

Here is an idea, let your wolves run loose on the range. Once they have too many SPPS compared to the rest of your players...... retire them and buy a new one.

This keeps your tr nice and low. I personally believe a team is only as good as their core of linos.

Sincerely,
Syndrome057
chunky04

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice is make your opponent choke on zombies while you use your positionals to play the ball.

Which is pretty much what uber says above with a better explanation lol.

Last edited by chunky04 on %b %19, %2005 - %02:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I played/watched Kenty alot. He has many wolfs come and go. Best advise he gave me, dont waste money on stars (I indulged in a Ramtut once) b/c U need to replace wolfs/ghouls.

Hit and run. Let your players with regen go ahead, snipe off certain players with the claw frenzy. I give all my wolfs block dodge and sidestep. Why sidestep? Fall down away from the pack/horde that is going to gang foul him!

Ghouls are ok, good short term scorers or hand offers to the wolfs. I dont get too attached to mine.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2005 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Oh and if you are thinking about challenging this team forget it if you have either (a) Dirty Player/s (b) A Big Guy (c) You are an all guard/block/tackle/razorsharpclaws/mighty blow/piling on mashing team... I want to keep my little puppies alive...

LOL
 Jump to: