70 coaches online • Server time: 19:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

In the actaul table top game, and correct me if Im wrong, stand firm players have a choice to use it or not. I know there are times where I would have taken a push, into a spot where it was better tactically, for my team. Its too bad that it couldn't be the same for the online version here.

Jeffro
Xone

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

A player with this skill is never pushed back as the result of a block. (LRB)

Depends on how much emphasis you put in never !!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Xone wrote:
A player with this skill is never pushed back as the result of a block. (LRB)

Depends on how much emphasis you put in never !!

Stand Firm (Strength Trait)
A player with this skill may choose to never be pushed back as the result
of a block. He may completely ignore ‘Push Back’ results, and 'Knockdown'
results always knock the player over in the square where he
started. If a player is pushed back into a player with Stand Firm then
neither player moves. In addition, the player does not fall over if he fails a
Dodge roll. Although the player stays on his feet, he must return to his
starting square. His action ends and he may do nothing else that turn. A
turnover, however, does not take place.

Official Clarifications and Q&A for Living Rule Book
Q: Is trait use mandatory?
A: Unless otherwise stated in the trait's description, trait use is not mandatory. For example, the description for Frenzy states that the
player must use it, while others (such as Stand Firm) do not.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Just like the option to use the apothecary on a KO or stun, this is something that has been noted as a difference from the board game. It's not a bug, but rather an intentional decision because, while it works in the board game, it's a pain in the butt to use in the program.

Do you want another pop up every time you get hit asking you if you want to use the skill that, 90+% of the time, you _do_ want to use? Do you want another popup asking you if you want to use sidestep? One to ask if you want to strip the ball from an opponent or use tackle to make him fall on a dodge/pow? How about one asking you if you want to use diving tackle even though your opponent rolled a 6 and it definitely won't work?

Very occasionally, that stuff might be useful (for example, choosing to use DT in order to fall down and prevent your opponent from chainpushing his own player into TD range or not using tackle to keep a player standing for a crowd push) but in an enormous majority of cases, it just makes the program annoying to use.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

think in difference to the other skills ... the stand firm trait to use correct would be helpfull in many situation... to be exact ... i fear stand firm, because i cant set such a sf-player into many players tacklezones cause every single tackler would hit me with two or more dices... as my treeman stood in the first row i so often wished not 4 of these dangerous chaosguys could block him one after the other... just because he had to stand where he was
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I didn't quite follow through on my thought there...

Stand Firm is indeed one of the more common ones to opt out on, I think. It's just that someone has to draw the line somewhere between exact interpretation and actual usability. SkiJunkie draws the line and this is pretty much where it falls.

I'm not trying to argue against it, entirely. Just pointing it out for those who think it was an oversight or mistake and bringing up the alternative. Lots of extra popups, which means waiting on your opponent during your turn and therefore longer games. Can you see how a turn against a couple of stand firm dwarves or orcs (for example) would take longer and how that would add up and potentially disturb the flow of the game a bit?

Besides, that's your tree's job.... keeping those 4 chaos warriors occupied, right? Razz

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

And then there's the thing about rerolling succeeding rolls. Yes, this is narrow too. Player blitzes ball carrier, ball bounces back to him and he catches it, while you may want the ball to go on the floor and another player pick it up for the pass.

But I agree those are very narrow cases and asking about all them will be disrupting Smile
Eddy

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm pretty sure you cannot decide whether rerolling successful rolls or not. if you can, i'm glad it's not authorized.

Jump to: