42 coaches online • Server time: 00:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post 22 Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello to all Swedes! Apparently you play Kubb. My (slightly insane) Brother-in-law found a site on it the other day, and we are determined to spread it's goodness and fun across our province, but we're not sure we understand it.... It seems that starting first would be a ridiculously large advantage, since the second guy is likely to have field Kubbs on his first turn.... So, if you can explain the game, or how to pronounce it, or direct me to a good site on it, I'd be thrilled! Thanks in advance!

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Kubb sure is a great summer/drinking game. I found a link with some rules, check it out:
http://www.vmkubb.com/rules/english.pdf

And yes, starting first is a big advantage.... just like Blood Bowl!
RC

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kubb pronuced ( Cubb, I guess) . Other than that I have only played it drunk and there has usually been an authoritarian girl around organzing it and telling everybody what to do. 2 teams throwing sticks and drinking beer.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Was it really played with human bones, originally?

Is it k-u-b or k-oo-b?

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

the u is short, not drawn out, but it doesn't sound much like an English vowel usually would.
perhaps in some British accents though,...think Daphne from Frasier
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not sure english speaking persons actually can pronounce the "u" as pronounced in kubb. I did flunk my phonetics class at the university which means that I can't explain it, and I can't think of a single word in englsih with the same pronounciation. Or wait, I have seen some bad b-movies from america where people keep calling each other "bub" in some redneck dialect (can't remember the name of the films). Replace the first b with a hard k, and there you have it, kubb. The word cub, like in Chicago Cubs is also pretty close, but not quite right.

As to the rules. It is surely a fun pasttime, but even we Swedes argue about the rules. Should the kubbs be placed on top of each other when you manage to hit them with eachother, or maybe side to side? Should they be tossed out of the game, or just kept being tossed from side to side for hours? Which kinds of throws are correct? (For once a game where it is preferable to throw like a girl) and so on. I can give you the advice to try to get someone from Gotland, the big island east of Sweden that once where Danish, but now have the big fortune to be Swedish, to explain it to you. The Gots?/Gutes?/Gotlandians?/Goths?(hehe) invented the game and are in fact the masters of this little war of the lawns...
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

RonnieColeman wrote:
Kubb pronuced ( Cubb, I guess) . Other than that I have only played it drunk and there has usually been an authoritarian girl around organzing it and telling everybody what to do. 2 teams throwing sticks and drinking beer.

Right on the spot! That girl is usually always there when you are about to start a game. Wonder if it's the same girl?
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Macavity"]Was it really played with human bones, originally?
[quote]

I don't know. But since their inventors are sheepherders rather than murederers, and the word kubb really have with firewood and cutting wood to do, I doubt it. But sure, before that they too where vikings, so who know?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Goteborg isn't good enough?

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

***Did you know?
Kubb is in Denmark known under the simple name "Vikingespil" (in English: The Viking Game), which is of course the most obvious name for a game where the aim is to throw sticks at your opponent under the cover of trying to hit his warriors (ie small chunks of wood placed in ankle-height). The rules don't mention beer as far as I know but neither do they deem beer illegal in a game of Vikingespil, so I guess the things can be combined...
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like the Finnish traditional game of "kyykkä". My elementary school had this annual tradition that on the last day of school, the ones to graduate play versus the teachers. That's the only occasion when I have played a game of kyykkä. It's considered an elderly hobby, prolly on the basis many youngsters see the slow game pace as "boring" or "slow". Nonetheless, it's a good sport IMO.

There seem to be several differences between Kyykkä and Kubb.

English rules:
http://www.phys.jyu.fi/homepages/agar/kyykka.html
http://www.kyykkaliitto.fi/saannot.shtml#gamerules
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I have understood is the game actually from USA and the whole viking stuff is just a marketing scam.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Taffsadar wrote:
From what I have understood is the game actually from USA and the whole viking stuff is just a marketing scam.

We Finns played the game at Volga river way before conquering Finland. The viking part is indeed a marketing scam. Razz
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies wrote:
Taffsadar wrote:

We Finns played the game at Volga river way before conquering Finland. The viking part is indeed a marketing scam. Razz

Kubb doesn't in any way include mandatory drinking, fighting or knife fighting. Therefor I find your claims to be extremly unlikely.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I'm going with Bob's site, as the label is official.. But, if you clear the opponents Kubbs, and get a shot at the King kubb... is that just with however many sticks you have left?