23 coaches online • Server time: 06:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
f_alk

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

GHOTI :

aka "fish": "gh" as in "cough", "o" as in "women", "ti" as in "nation".
the_bug

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Why cant yall just liek talk teh nerd language cuz I think its liek kewl.

/sarcasm
macike

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
English is spoken very differently compared to how it is written (or at least that's what I've been told), while Finnish is spoken pretty much like it's spelt (although there are some differences).

My first English teacher was able to articulate words with such a good accent and pronunciation that I had no problems in writing in down.
When she spoke it was very easy to differentiante between "i", "ee" or "ea" for example. It just sounds different.

However from that point of view IMO Italian is great. It takes 10 minutes to learn to read in that language.

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Gitzbang wrote:
Nice joke, until now every official language of every EU-country has been official language for EU, doubt that'll change Wink

Certainly every linguist looking for a sinecure position hopes not!

(/pac waits impatiently for Croatia's admission ...)

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
eyeslikethunder wrote:
yeah it an old joke
anyway welsh should be the official language of europe
then we all sound like elves

Not much into Tolkien but I do know that he based elven language on Finnish which has roots in Mongolian, so if you want to sound like a Tolkien elf I suggest you speak Finnish Smile

Mongolian?

Read some linguistics before making bold statements about my native tongue.

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought Finnish was an ugric language, and that no one really know where the ugric languages came from. They sounds ugly and funny, and are totally unsynched with every other language in the world. But then again, my linguistics profesor can be wrong...
hauge

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

There can be only one language... And that language is Danish...

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

welsh = dwarf .
Woodpecker

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Mark Twain wrote something like this, didn't he?
Arcon

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2006 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirrekurr wrote:
I always thought Finnish was an ugric language, and that no one really know where the ugric languages came from. They sounds ugly and funny, and are totally unsynched with every other language in the world. But then again, my linguistics profesor can be wrong...

Well. right about that funny part. I do not think it sounds ugly. I once travelled to Finland (starting in Amsterdam) in a coach with only finnish people and I think during the whole drive one woman was talking something to the group. I had to listen. The WHOLE long way. No, it is not ugly. It gets narcotic after some hours though...
Wink
lauth81

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 07:21 Reply with quote Back to top

- Finnish has absolutely no relationship with Mongolian. Finnish is part of the Uralic language family (along with Hungarian and the mentioned Ugric languages), Mongolian belongs to the Altaic language famliy. They are quite different in many, many ways.

- Tolkien based his Elven languages on ancient nordic languages (He was a professor for these languages), which are part of Indo-Germanic lanuage family. No relation to Finnish.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

lauth81 wrote:
- Tolkien based his Elven languages on ancient nordic languages (He was a professor for these languages), which are part of Indo-Germanic lanuage family. No relation to Finnish.

"At this time he was also working on various poetic attempts, and on his invented languages, especially one that he came to call Qenya [sic], which was heavily influenced by Finnish"

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/tolkien/biography.html

Qenya is one of the languages spoken by Elves on Middle-Earth.
lord_real

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

There can be only one language... And that language is Danish...

I heard that there is a discussion in denmark about why danish children learn their own language later than other people. And the theory is that the language is to "blurry". Wink
Curro

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Could we choose spanish, please?
Nature_Warden

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You know... it was sounding like a really sweet idea, the whole simplifying thing until about the second year I'd say... ...a lot of those really have no value... although dual vowels and silent es are absolutely neccessary... wait... way to serious... uhhhhhh... I'd love to learn Spanish but the real question is which language is by far the most efficient? I find English somewhat dull and impertinent at times though the vocabulary options offer a somewhat specific ellegance as well?
 Jump to: