60 coaches online • Server time: 00:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Welcome Newcomers - ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TBK

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL THREAD
thesquig

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Although British music is easily the best in the world, American is a close 2nd!

Other than that, I thank USA for Fender and Gibson, the finest popular guitar makers who help make my life a joy.

Longshanks

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that it's over there, and not here Smile
LegendaryBill

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The US has its hands in so many things around the world it is easy to resent our presence, but for the most part we are doing good things. OK, arguably misguided wars aside, we do participate in a lot of aid projects, and give more to third world countries than the countries themselves - and that's just Angelina Jolie - zing!!

And while agree humble pie is in order, sometimes it does not go well alongside of Apple Pie and Hot dogs. And it is hard to be humble when you are so isolated (geographically, at least.) It is also harder to swallow when a lot of what you hear from others is how much America stinks. While I believe the world does not begin or end with the USA, why do criticisms always seem to.

So what do I like about America? I like knowing that when help is needed, we will be there to lend a hand. Be it a tsunami or a nuclear meltdown on land or at sea, the USA is often there among the first.
ElGuappo

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hunter S Thompson, Elvis Presley, Bill Hicks, Jonny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jordan, Michael Stipe, Jesse Owens, Kurt Cobain, Jessica Simpsons Legs, Lisa Simpsons Brain, Martin Luther King, John Steinbeck, Steven Malkmus, Carl Lewis, Marlon Brando, Babe Ruth, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Neil Armstrong, JFK, Steven Speilberg, Jack White, The Coen Brothers and most importantly of all the two most effective and emotive voices of my generation HOMER SIMPSON and ERIC CARTMAN.....

These are the best things about America for me, I think many of these people could not have existed elsewhere... sweepstake now to see how many of these I will be told are not Americans....

Last edited by ElGuappo on %b %04, %2006 - %04:%May; edited 1 time in total
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Quite frankly i'd be proud of a lot of what america does/has done, but just right now i wouldnt be talking about americas natural disaster response times as a positive point.
The incodent in New Orleans was very poorly handled from what the BBC reported, having said that, putting a chap on the moon is something to be proud of.
I cant help but admire a country where Presidents can cheat on their wives, rock and roll heroes can drink JD til they fall out of windows and people devote their lives to ugly pickup trucks. Its a strange country of opposites, and for that its worth something. All in all, I dont feel the 'sleeping giant' analagy works, I think its the mutant baby grown to 18 feet tall, dosed up on meths and dancing the tango on a hopscotch court : It makes no sense, but then nobody is surprised Smile

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazingly Inspiring Rhetoric.

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
the bad thing is that the Americans are always patting themselves on the back saying 'we are the best, we are the greatest', and it has now reached the point where the population are getting lazy, coz regardless of what they do, they will always be the best...

Hey, that fits other countries too. We Swedes for instance know that we sit on the moral highground most of the time Wink .

Furious_George wrote:
I cant help but admire a country where Presidents can cheat on their wives

Only in America would this be an issue. Doesn't the english find about one politician a week in the bed with some prostitute with an orange in his mouth and a sheep beside the bed? Europeans just don't care anymore. The Swedish Minister of State divorced and remarried one of his coworkers (why he would trade in his old wife Anita against his new wife Anitra, no one knows) but it almost wasn't commented on in the papers. Maybe this is something good or bad with the States. I don't know, but it is definately different...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it is great. I just saw a rerun on daytime TV and I must say that it is great. Cute chicks that kill monsters at high school, can't get much better than that.
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Giving us someone to look down on.

Showing us how not to do things.

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Meech

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Nighteye wrote:

And its called a family restaurant Smile

Are you telling me that wouldn't want you to start a family? On the Spot?
veron

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Stanley Kubrick and Paris.

Well, Kubrick moved out of US quite early and never went back, and Paris has some real issues with his home country, but I spose they still have to count... Smile
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

America has the capacity to wind up even the most passive individuals... I mean, hell.. Moby got angry with america!? MOBY? that guy couldnt look more passive if he got dropped from his label and replaced by the 'cheeky girls'....

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the "Girls Gone Wild" videos.
f_alk

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

A tricky question.
I think i am thankful for the internet, and for two of my favorite jokes:

Q: What do the USA and Canada have in common?
A: Both have a southern border to a develpoing country where they like to go for cheap shopping.

Q: What do US beer and making love in a canoo have in common?
A: both are f*cking close to water.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Carlos Mencia put it this way:

During the days of the Space Race, we realized that all the pens that had been invented so far would only work if there was gravity present. Therefore, the USA spent 30 million dollars to develop a pen that would be capable of writing in a zero-gee environment. We were successful, and our 'astro-men' proudly carried pens that could write upside-down with them into space.

The USSR said 'Let's use pencils'.