51 coaches online • Server time: 23:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think the above changes should be made?
YES! - its a great idea, it should be exactly how you suggested!
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
YES! - but needs more refining (please give example)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
NO! - but we need to do something about overpowered Star Players
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
NO! - Star Players are great the way they are!
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Undecided
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 30

Molt

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2003 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In the "STAR Ladder League" topic, I came up with a suggestion to reduce the strength values of many of the Star Players. I would like to know what people think of this idea...

My suggestion is as follows...

All Star Players with strength 4 or more would have their strength reduced by 1. The cost value of these Star player's would be reduced by 10k.

There would need to be a few exceptions:

1. Grim Ironjaw and Prince Moranion stay exactly the same (because if you take away their Str 4 they become no better than ordinary players).

2. Griff Oberwald should be reduced by 20k to 160k, to reflect being reduced to Str 3

3. Count Luther should stay at 180, because he is currently over-powered.

4. Lord Borak should stay at the same price, because the leader skill effectively makes him same cost as normal CW... Making him actually cheaper seems ridiculous!

addition:
5. Grashnak and Headsplitter would both need Frenzy, and Grashnak TTM, (like normal Minos and Rat Ogres)
------------

The above changes would allow teams without star players a fighting chance against those teams who choose to field them, without destroying their value to teams, or their potential to cause all kinds of on-pitch mayhem!

addition:
I should have made this clearer: This change would apply to the ladder division only. For Open division teams the star players are not nearly as dominating because teams have developed their own skilled players.

Last edited by Molt on %b %10, %2003 - %11:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
MattiasF

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Remove starplayer alltogether?
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Who would buy them if you did this?
stars are a part of the game, unless Fanatic change them i cant see it happening here Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

From what i can gather, we are saying star players are overpowered? so what. Just make it more expensive to hire them then. The point of having a star player is just that...they ARE a star player...they can turn a match around by themselves...and they should be able to.

e.g. Huddersfield Town roll out onto the pitch to meet Hereford United...as they look up they gulp...

*oh F***, is that...no it cant be....*

Yup, Hereford United have paid top dollar to hire Ronaldo for one match.

*sh*t, wish we'd thought of hiring a star player..maybe we could have got Raul....*

If a team has enough money saved to hire a Star, then good for them.

Star players are meant to be good. If you think they are overpowered...thats what they should be...if they are TOO overpowered, make the hiring price more..since better star players will want a higher appearance fee.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hereford hiring Ronaldo LOL
that i would like to see.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that seems to be a big no-no from the community. I think I should defend my position. feel free to vote again if I change your mind Wink

---

MattiasF: Remove starplayer alltogether?

I wouldn't like to see that. They add a lot of colour to the game and give coaches more options when it comes to picking their teams. All i'm proposing is making those choices a little harder to make.

---

Zy-Nox: "Who would buy them if you did this?"

I would. I challenge anyone to find a Star player who even with the -1 str penalty isn't considerably better than anything else you could get on a rookie team. A few examples at random:

Griff : Block dodge, leap, sprint, sure feet, mv8 and ag4 - still a terror to your opponent!

'Ripper' Bolgrot: No Really Stupid, No Always Hungry, +AV, No Big Guy characteristic (eg can use team rrs!).

Morg: No Boneheaded, +ag, +av, +mv, Block, No BG rr penalty. That makes 5 skills roll including a double for 60k extra. Just right.

Hmm, actually I can name two star players myself:

Grishnak Blackhof : +MV, +AV, No Wild Animal, No BG rr penalty, BUT he looses frenzy and throw team mate. However if he were given these skills he would be fine. Headsplitter would also need to be given Frenzy I suppose the Minos and Rat Ogres were given the frenzy skill to reflect the frenzy that Wild Animal gives them...

----

shabs: "Yup, Hereford United have paid top dollar to hire Ronaldo for one match. "

Ah. I should have made clearer, I am talking in the Ladder Division, where all the Herefords have hired their Ronaldos not just for a game, but for the season... Many formerly successful Ladder teams without stars now have a real stuggle to win matches against the star wielding newcomers.
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2003 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Remove all Secret Weapon and Big Guy Star Players as soon as the new Secret Weapon & Big Guy Rules are Implemented.
odi

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2003 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm... I don't have a ladder team, so I'm not exectly sure. So correct me if I'm wrong. But when you buy a star player for an Open division team, you only get to freeboot them, so it's half price for one game. In ladder, do you still pay half price for a star who'll play the whole season, shouldn't you pay twice as much for ladder stars as in open division (I don't know if this is so at the moment), would seem perfectly logical to me, but what do I know Smile
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2003 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

No, you pay full price since you are not freebooting them.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: