53 coaches online • Server time: 13:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Early on, Undead, Amazons and Lizardmen are trouble, mainly because Orks are not that good at handling Dodge until much later. Dwarves, Humans and Norse also ought tor work, since they're sharp from a low TR. Possibly Khemri.

For developed teams, Dark Elves and above all Ogre are probably the toughest.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I just got my arse handed to me in a foul match with a human team. Not because he was faster or smarter, well maybe smarter, but because he knocked my players off the pitch.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=1453754

Jeffro
Smess

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I find Undead very effective against orx (untill 220 TR approximatly that is however). Woodies and other elves are very good againt orx as well, especialy at high TR.

All in all, orc strategy is quite predictable (which does not mean easy to stop at all though). Cage and bash.
The one weakness orx have is that they are very slow (only 4 players with MA6). When you have high movement teams, you should realy have no trouble scoring against orx. Run around and spread the orc dence out on the field. Defence is harder though.
The key to stop the orx from scoring for me is to take out the blitzers. Then they will lack the speed to move forward fast enough to score. With few blitzers, orx will have a VERY hard time scoring. They still can bash, but won't score if you play it wise.

The reasons I find undead very well suited against orx: With the two mummies you can make it very hard for them to bash their way through and have you also have the capacity to enforce your own game when attacking. Zombies are perfect to tie up a black orc. You also need a DP zombie (or two) to take care of the blitzers asap. Orx won't have that many tacklers at lower TR (only on the blitzers almost always as well), so tie the tacklers up all the time, make sure they are never close to your ghouls and try getting them of the field. The ghouls are speedy enough to make you score easily (tie up key orc players with mummies and zombies, and run a ghoul/wight cage suddenly over to their weaker side), and in defence their mobility (and blodge/sidestep) is handy as well to stop the orc cage.

But, (almost) any race can beat orx. Bottom line for me still is: make their blitzers useless or get them of the field, they are the real power behind the orx (exception might be at very very high TR where BO bashing might decide the game). When the blitzers are out, orx are quite mediocre and especialy very slow, you can stop them from scoring without many problems.
Stopping the cage of being formed will not work agains a good orx coach unless you are lucky, slowing the cage down however, works about any time for me (unless you get unlucky cas/ko against quickly, and even then).

Last edited by Smess on %b %24, %2006 - %10:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll go Dark Elves (don't know why, but they tend to win vs Orcs in my experience) or Skaven (with nasty one-turners, DP, and either a good share of Claws or FA). Lizards look good also, but I think they are a bit weird to play... and a complete gamble (no skink, and you lose even badly bashing the orcs)

Most important skill: Kick
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Undeveloped Dark Elves are meat to any good Ork coach. It's later on they come into their own.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Arcon

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

My first suggestion had been either Dark or High Elves, but Wood Elves might work as well (especially the WD). ALso Lizadmen and Skaven sound reasonable to me, although I have not much experience with these.

EDIT: Oh, and I would not try to crush his team with these suggested races. It just will not work. They are the selection to win. You might choose Dwarves or other bashers and try to hurt his players, but AV9 on Orcs is very good, and winning chances, I´d say, may be better when not playing bashers.

Last edited by Arcon on %b %24, %2006 - %08:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
XIII

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it is rather easy in your setting to beat the green boys back to stone age... as they are your only match (or do you expect to play more games with your team afterwards?)

So the skill choices are almost obvious - you wont need tackle. Btw... how will you create a 150 TS team? Can you give some skills to players of your choice? Will there be skill and ageing rolls? What about money? What about starplayers? Or a wizard (which could be the gamewinner for you)?

As these things have to be regarded I would suggest to play with rookie teams. Then he will probably field 4 Blitzers, 4 Black Orcs, a Troll, a Thrower and a Lineman (or a Goblin).
TuernRedvenom

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Out of the box I'd say Skaven (or Lizzies). Tie up those black orcs with fodder and play ball. Pressure his ball carrier. Half die blocks works if he uses a thrower to pick up and run the ball. Try to force him to spread out. Kick deep and rush his backfield.
At low TR a skaven team should always beat an orc team barring bad luck or huge coaching skill difference.
Panda_

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Check out that classement: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=teams&group=&race=13&order=5&nav=1

Classing by number of match give a good opportunity to see the good teams. Skaven are the 13rd team in the LRB in the alphabetical order. You can change the race number to another one if you want.
Watch some replay of those teams when they play orcs... At the team rating your want.

But as i'm a skaven player, and that my team as a positive record against the greenskin i can give you several tips:
  • I would not focus on the offence, it is by far the easier part in the match up.
  • You are Ar7, and the orc like to block you. If you have a linerat alone on the field with a Black Orc next to him. Don't stand him up. This is also true in on the field, don't give him easy blocks unless you don't want the BoB to move. If he move, you can catch him standing up, or go to a best position.
  • You should try to kick deep if their thrower is no good enough and you have the kick skill.
  • You should emphasys on the mobility of your players ! During your first turn, you should take several linerats free for running being his LOS, and some gutters ready to blitz the thrower.
  • If a cage is formed, focus on injuring some players far away. Try to disturb him for the cage, and when you have the opportunity, go for it. You can also try to blitz the side of the cage and put some pressure on him.
  • If you put a "contact" pressure on him a too long time, he will win everytime. You have to put pressure at a distance often, and let the "contact" one at the "right" time.
  • And never let your RO on the LOS because he will easily goes down. Prefer to use some 0spp linerats.
  • Skaven are a good pick, because they can do one-turn touchdown. But it's a little benefit, the real threat don't come from there.
  • What player should you disrupt the most ? BoBs are easy, but they also are often in the pack you don't want to go (if you can isolate some this is good for you). But the real threat is the Blitzers, they are the most skilled, the most dangerous (Guard, MB, Tackle). The more are out the action, the slower they go. Remember that it is their fastest players with only 6Ma
  • Try to have the only DP on the field, and foul smartly if you have an occasion.

This is a little sum up, and i think it's quite the same situation for many other races, but it will never be better than watching games or replays.

Last edited by Panda_ on %b %24, %2006 - %10:%Nov; edited 2 times in total
ankkh

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Listen to Panda and Smess... they know what they are talking about. Don't take Dark Elves or H-elves at TR 150... they develop slower. Undeads seem a good choice. To be cheesy you can go with 3-4 dirty players (zombies) and the Count. Otherwise follow Smess's suggestions. If you are playing Woodies or Skaven learn how to Oneturn with ma 9. Good luck! The power of FUMBBL is behind you. Very Happy
Alf115

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

one turn with sprint + sure feet helps too.
nurgling

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

at low tr id say dwarves (all block and tougher) and amazons (all dodge)

at high tr id say woodies and skaven
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm. I'd say it depends a lot on how you handle those races too, erzkanzler. No point going for lizards of undead if it is not your style of play in such a "must win" situation. Use the chance fumbbl overs to try out the wide variety of races.

Also. Get an orc team. Observe how other people try to beat you, and how he might counter their strategies. Make those that are hard to defend against your own.

-Mnemon
JanHartmann

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2006 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I like my lizzies. I'm not the best player (yet;-)) but I see chances to beat Orcs with Sauri and Kroxigor and a few skinks for the Touchdown.
Sauri are as strong as Blackorcs, Kroxigor even ST 5. And a Saurus has a movement of six. So you can shift your "frontline" very quickly.
Protect the Skinks with some strong players and they make at least one Touchdown.
Pro511

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

As an ork player I'm going to put a different spin on the above discussion.

I don't think it's a specific lineup that will beat an ork team (as many of the above posts might suggest), it's what you do with that lineup.

I'm certainly not a pro by any means but it's what you do on the field, rather than in player selection, that gives me fits.

I think suggestons on how to beat Orks, (and therefore me!) would be:

1) Don't ever try to beat the orks at their own game. You will lose. I'd prefer nothing more than having an elf team try to meet me in midfield and try to out bash me. I'm surprised how many coaches will fall into that pattern.

2) When on offense, split up and create multiple threats. The orks will be able to shut down one or two threats but three or four get tricky. Orks will either have to pressure recievers or the ball. A split up ork team is much less effective. Nothing makes an ork coach happier than seeing an elf team cage up with 11 players. This allows the orks to hit one area with everything. Half of the orks will do nothing, the other half will smack you. IF you're split up, the half that are not smacked can score.

3) Score quickly. I know it sounds obvous but it's true. Every turn spent not scoring helps the orks. Orks will NOT be able to keep up in an offensive shootout.

4) Find out who matters. Orcs only have a few play makers. Leave the Black Orks alone. They're useless. And certainly don't commit multiple guys to one just so you can get a block. So, they fall over, now you've committed 3 guys to that who could be running down field.

5) Plan to be down men. 9 elves can score against an 11 man ork team almost as easily (or as difficultly) as 11 if you play well. and if you are 11 v. 11 then get some single coverage downfield and throw the ball.

6) Let em score but never let em stall. An ork coach that has position to stall should spend a turn or two smacking the heck out of you. Forcing the issue is much less dangerous. Giving up a turn 2 touchdown is minimal since you get the ball back. Loosing two guys to the KO or Casualty box is much more damaging (see #3.)

I'm sure there are more tips but I'll leave it at that for now. And assume that I'll never win another game. Smile