19 coaches online • Server time: 07:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kurgol

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed this old thread:

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=printview&t=22159&start=0&sid=2b41af1ce929bcdc95d8659617e4c121

I was wondering if this topic had been revisited, and if not whether you had considered using the scale 2x?

http://scale2x.sourceforge.net/

Quite a lot of arcade/console emulators use it to scale old applications on modern displays. Because it uses an algorithm to scale the graphics rather than you having to manually reproduce all the assets it should be a relatively trivial change until you are prepared to manually replace them?
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think providing new graphics or scaleable graphics is real problem. Kalimar can correct me if I am wrong but issue is around coding of knowing which part of field mouse button is clicked on. The simple way of doing this assumes a fixed size (in pixels) field...

Oscar Wilde
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The last thing I heard regarding scaling was that it was a major issue with how java operates and the FFB client was build.

Because of that Kalimar was planning to rebuild the entire client in HTML5 but then abandoned the plans due to time constrains.

What I take from that is that is that we will probably not see a scaleable client.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Still pretty interesting, maybe a useful tool. It has a very distinct effect on the sprites, so I'm not sure how it'd work out. I may have a play with it though, if I ever need to, so it's good to know it exists.

Smile
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 12:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

That page is pretty interesting.. Although looking at the end, you see a reference to a Microsoft paper with a statement saying "With modern processors you can do a lot better than Scale2x".

Funny thing is, I read that paper a couple of years ago and have implemented a variation of that particular algorithm. Some results:

ImageImage
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

The scaled images above are scaled on the fly at the moment. And if you're interested, here's a little screen capture of the tool I wrote to test this stuff:

(If you're interested, you can change the numeral on the url on the above image to see a few other versions of the tool, numbers ranging from 2 to 10)

And obviously, the system allows for arbitrary scaling, so it's not restricted to 2x (non-integer scalings are also possible).
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

mm, I have been using scale2x on d-fend (a dos-game emulator) for years.
It supports about 20 different scaling methods.
Personally I think scale2x is the best. Just if you look at the image for scale4x you see how it kinda loses the comic style of the original draw.
The edges are too soft, everything is just a blur of colors and it has more the feel of those old ugly 3d animations to it.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2014 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The other problem is, it's a bit of a wasted opportunity. Here we have a bigger icon, that doesn't look any better than the smaller one, and in some cases worse. At this size, a much better icons is achievable.

There lies another problem, in that who would be capable of doing them. Here's an example of what is achievable at double size.

This is a significant jump in quality from regular sized icons.
 Jump to: