47 coaches online • Server time: 17:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you use the Gamefinder?
Yes, I use the Gamefinder and then send PM's in IRC to challenge.
28%
 28%  [ 60 ]
Yes, and then I wait for challenges in IRC.
17%
 17%  [ 38 ]
Yes, but I also 'bb lfg' in IRC.
41%
 41%  [ 87 ]
No, I just use IRC.
7%
 7%  [ 15 ]
Yes, because I challenge in PM's on the website.
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Do I use the what???
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
I would if it... (fill in your responce in replies)
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 212

Filov

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
The fact that Gamefinder still relies on IRC to arrange the fixture holds it back a bit. What I have in mind is a 'Challenge' link next to teams on the list, which automatically informs the other coach (perhaps furnishing him with a link to the challenging team and coach so he can give them a quick once-over), and he can then either accept or decline with a click, which in turn would run Game Launcher.
Of course, leave the IRC method open for those that prefer it.

There is a danger of making FUMBBL very impersonal this way, but coaches should be encouraged to blather away in-game Smile

I like this idea. Especially since I only have net access through the university at the moment and there is something about their network settings that prohibits me from using IRC. Not sure what it is but...
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

the point is to find as many games as fast as posible atleast imo so i use every thing out to there!
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Filov that an automatic link GameFinder would be silly as it removes the need for IRC...

...and when you get down to it Blood Bowl is a great game but then there are a lot of great games online which are pathetic because they lack FUMBBL's community spirit - the IRC channel and these forums are what hold that collective experience together and allow us to frolick in fish-slapping camaraderie with fluffy bunnies and flowers and stuff Smile

I still think people who bb lfg without updating GameFinder are just doing it to get on my nerves and they all deserve a good hard wedgie Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I use gamefinder but 90% of the people that challenge me don't, making me spend a lot of time hunting down their teams. They are usually people who want a "friendly" game between my Elves and their Chaos teams that just happens to have a 38 point team strength advantage on me.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The IRC chat will always be alive with people lamenting about coaches fouling their big guys or with "doubles on lineman, what to give?" type questions. The thing I hesitate about not using IRC in any way is the speed factor--sure, I might get a PM on the fumbbl site, but unless something pops up to announce that I have one waiting to read it might be a good half hour before I know about it. And vice versa. If you challenge somebody, there'd better be a way to get their response--yes, no, lemme check--in just a few seconds, as IRC PM'ing does now.

So do away with bblfg, have all teams looking for games listed on the gamefinder. Then come to the IRC channel. It's there you'll get PM'ed with other's challenges, or you can issue your own challenge. That's how I've been working it, and thus far I haven't had to wait longer than a few minutes before finding a suitable game.

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2004 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

IRC all the way! I just much prefer it to anything else. In fact I think there should be +M on the channel or something, force everyone to /msg bowlbot lfg. That should work so long as BowlBot is +v, right? I'd like it that way simply to keep it "business only". Razz The chatters could go to that other chat channel or whatever.

But hey that's just what I think, so easy on the Aequitas hatemail, etc. Surprised

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2004 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

V2 solution.

I also use V2 - and you know the best way to link to gamefinder ?

Just add the page to your favourites and keep hitting refresh.

It's my new favourite way of picking opponents to beat me !

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2004 - 22:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats wrote:
Currently with both options open you're selling your team short by not bb lfging...

If it were removed you'd have this nice list matching teams up by TR instead of skimming through lines of lfgs, what skill should I take, fish slapping showdowns and other random chat messages.

Leave the chat channel for trout whackers I say.

Force the lazy buggers to go to GameFinder so it is all in the one spot with URLs ready to be clicked.

Switch to v3.
Delta

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2004 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Switch to v3.

Done. But now there's no logout option at the top of my screen.
And it doesn't fit the screen. Seems to be a touch too wide. (but that could be my browser settings I suppose).

I'll stick to v2 and just add it to my favourites list.