25 coaches online • Server time: 09:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RDaneel

Post 5 Posted: Aug 18, 2023 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hell All

This evening i have activated several teams from TV 900 till TV 1300 and among them I have one team zero match played TV 995.

Then the scheduler run, there was several coach activating ( I think we were 4 or 6) and decision was to pair one of my Team 900 TV zero match played to an opposite team TV 995 zero match played.

For the sake of completeness I will tell you that my team TV 900 were Dwarfs. My team TV 995 were Undead. And my opponent's Team TV 995 were Humans. All zero match played.
My opponent rank was 1390 ( Rookie) where my Rank was 1618 (SuperStar overall... undeserved perhaps Wink)

The more reasonable choice would have been TV 995 vs TV 995 zero match played

So seems there are situation where TV gap is not the main decision factor of the algorithm

Looking in the old forum i founded this thread
https://fumbbl.com/p/notes?op=view&id=522

if this is still valid the only thing come to my mind is linked to the Ranking: because the other coach was a "rookie" and thus triggers the "rookie protection factor"...so the TV 995 vs TV995 association was judged unfair and algorithm decided to go for the next team with TV less still with 10% difference (and 90 is exactly the maximum 10% allowed for TV 900 team with zero match played)

is my assumption correct?

Any comments is welcome!
thx!
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2023 - 00:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You can find out:

https://github.com/christerk/FUMBBL-GameFinder
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2023 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx! Will give a look!
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2023 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

IIRC the rookie protection was for new teams, not for rookie coaches
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2023 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

Ok

Both team were new (zero games played) .
intrepidwilson

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2024 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

This, IMHO, is the issue. There should (ideally) be a differentiation between rookie teams and rookie coaches. I've an undeveloped Human team and, after 2 Black Box games, they're a busted flush for the next match and I've just desperately rolled for skills to give them some fighting chance.

I have been in 145 but found it was a) hard to find equally incompetent coaches to play against and b) less engaging than a cup / league with clear fixtures and deadlines.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2024 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how to start on Christer's link, but once upon a time, in Black Box pairing, each team entered into the draw was given a 'score' of some sort, based loosely on TV, and other things.. one of these other things being a very small random factor.

ALL the possible matches between ALL the possible teams were assessed for fairness, by comparing each team's 'score', looking for similar scores. If this random factor still exists.. this would explain why equal TV is not always paired with another equal TV.

Additionally, the pairing code tried to make as many 'good' matches as possible.. meaning sometimes one of the matches might be slightly less 'even' to make a total box draw with 3 or for 'good' games.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2024 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I asked a similar question not long ago, and Christer explained that any team in the box under 1000 TV counts as 1000 TV for matchmaking purposes. So to the box algorithm your TV 900 team is exactly the same as your TV 995 team. There is a max TV gap that is taken into account though and for that your team real TV is taken.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2024 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Imagine if RDaneel had found a 1170 TV gap match like this, in old Box:
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3629645

Razz

That said, I agree with him about wanting a closer-TV match.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2024 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

TV cap should be removed from box if more than 15 games played so you can spin old stuntty teams and big teams there also.