39 coaches online • Server time: 10:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightfalke

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2003 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm running my machine at 1024 X 768, and when I start up the client in big field mode, the bottom bit of the window including the chat text entry box is off the bottom of the screen. I resize the window, but the chat text entry box is still whited out so I can't see what I'm typing, and it takes up the Whole Damn Screen, so I can't really switch apps without apple-tabbing.

I've used the small field, which is alright, but the custom icons and custom circles don't work on it...and I'd prefer the large field.

Do the PC users have this problem, and how do they deal with it? And can that fix be implemented in the Mac port?

Thanks,

Nightfalke

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2003 - 04:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

PC users have the same problem, yes.

The solution is to switch to 1152x864 or higher or use the small board.

-- Christer
madzit

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2003 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately, 1152 x 768 is as big as it gets on my mac. How difficult would it be to add a scroll bar to the window?

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2003 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a Mac user and I have the same problem here. Since I can type without looking at the keyboard, I don't mind too much. The results of what I type just give a few laughs to me and my opponents at times... Smile
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2003 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

get a proper computer, problem solved
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2003 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice, Grum. Way to be helpful...

Sadly, currently the only way to get the whole thing there at the moment is using the small field option. If you want, however, I'll slap together some of the backgrounds for the small fields. It's something, at least.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2003 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to let you know, the 'small field' option doesn't support background images. While we're on the topic of full disclosure, this should also be in the JavaBBowl bug reports forum.

Ok, back on topic...

To get around that little problem, I'm making a quick icon set of small (19 x 19) circles with the appropriate letters on them. The problem? It's more than a little tedious, so it'll take me a while. I'll post a link in the downloads section and a follow-up here when it's done, but give me a few days to sit down and slog through the creation of more than 80 little tiny images... (red and blue, each different letter has to be its own image, unfortunately).

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2003 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if that works on mac, but what I do on my PC is move the screen as much as I can up. This brings the text entry box to view, but removes the title bar from view. However, since I don't really care about the timer and definately don't care about the luck factor (but that's a whole other thread), it does not bother me. Hope this works for you.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2003 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

In OS X, the windows don't really have frames, and so the only way to pull a window around the screen is by the title bar. As such, it doesn't let you drag the title bar of a window above the menu bar of the screen.

Actually, maybe I can see if I can find a way to include an option for it to run in full screen mode for the next release. That might actually work...

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2003 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a quick set of icons for small field users. They are untested, but if you want to try them out and let me know if you have any problems (or anything missing), I can correct anything and add it to the downloads section.

http://witwat.net/luke/javabbowl/smallIcons.zip

Just back up your 'icons.ini' and 'icons' folder (inside your 'pics' folder) by renaming them (OldIcons.ini and OldIcons or something.) and then download these and drop the new file and directory in the same places.

I'll also make some small weather fields when I get off my butt and feel like doing so.

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2003 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

http://witwat.net/luke/javabbowl/smallIcons.zip

The smallIcons have gotten a bit of a fix (thanks to nightfalke for bringing up the animated part. Forgot about that...). If you don't feel like downloading them all again, then here are the changes that you can make to update them yourself:
- rename 'webb.gif' to 'web.gif'
- duplicate the icons folder. rename *.gif to *an.gif. Now move all these renamed files into the original folder so you have twice as many images. Each image (l.gif for linemen, for example) should now have 4 copies (l.gif is the red L. lb.gif is the blue L. lan.gif is the red L again for when it's selected and lban.gif is the blue L again for when it's selected.)
- Add the allies to the Old World, Lustrian, and Chaos Pact sections of the icons.ini file.

http://witwat.net/luke/javabbowl/MetalFields.zip

Also, I updated the Metal Fields to include small pitches with all the weather variations. I'll do the same with the dotted fields next time I'f feeling ambitious/bored.

Jump to: