42 coaches online • Server time: 16:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I may just be thick, but I don't quite get the kick skill pop-up. It asks if I want to use the kick skill, and gives me an indication of where the ball will land. Is this where it will land with or without the kick skill?
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The client indicates the ball (which is the square selected by the kicking team) and 2 white squares. Which is where the ball will land with (closer) or without (farther away) using the Kick skill. If it shows only a single square the original scatter (without Kick skill) took the ball outside the field.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The dialog is not totally clear, you have to think a little about where the ball will land actually. Could one of the squares be made green and the other white and also have a color-code on the buttons with white and green? In that case it would be much more obvious which square you are choosing.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

How about each of the white boxes is numbered 1 and 2 or A and B and the buttons for the kick are labelled the same?

The dialogue would just say, "Which square do you wish to kick too?"

Also, if one of them is off the field, then I suggest skipping the dialogue and just kicking to the on-field square.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
The dialog is not totally clear, you have to think a little about where the ball will land actually. Could one of the squares be made green and the other white and also have a color-code on the buttons with white and green? In that case it would be much more obvious which square you are choosing.

The pitch is green. So that color wouldn't be helpful.
I suggest a K in the square for the kick skill.

Correct me if I am wrong. Shouldn't a player declare they are using the kick skill BEFORE they even place the ball and before the client indicates where the ball would land.

Your player kicking the ball either has the skill to place the ball on or near the spot you have chosen or he does not. How could a player with the necessary skills to properly kick the ball decide to not have those skills after he has booted it?
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't mix realism with game mechanics. As usual, the coach can decide whether to use kick after the die roll for the scatter has been made.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The skill description is pretty clear in the new rules that you can use kick after the scatter roll is made. Maybe it is a strange way to use the skill, but then again so are a lot of the skills.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
The skill description is pretty clear in the new rules that you can use kick after the scatter roll is made. Maybe it is a strange way to use the skill, but then again so are a lot of the skills.

Fair enough. I haven't committed the current ruleset to memory. This is a small detail I didn't know about.

I suppose it does help make the Kick skill more powerful and a better option to take without it becoming an overpowered skill.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

*bump*

I'm dense, and still never get the kick thing right. Any chance of the squares being labelled 1 and 2 or A and B and the dialogue just asking which one?

Thanks.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Me and Kalimar actually talked about this yesterday, it is on our todo-list.
We decided to color-code the squares and the buttons.

Do you want to use the kick skill?
Yes (green) No (red)
And then have the squares colored the same way, like the passing ruler changes color on different lengths.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks! Very Happy
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't colour code them if I were you I think 1 and 2 or a and b will be better. If you are colour blind it could become very difficult to tell which one is which on account of the pitch looking grey and possibly the colour of the colour coded box.

There are 3 types of colour blindness -
all of which make these colours red, orange, yellow, and green all look the same to different degrees one type makes them all grey one makes them different shades of grey and one makes them all look like one of the given colours.

Red and green are the two most common colours associated with colour blindness as well so on a green pitch it would be very confusing as the pitch may look green as would the two squares which - if they have severe colour blindness they would likely not be able to see at all.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 18:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a dialog at all. Simply mark the two squares and have the coach click on the square itself, rather than having to connect dialog buttons to field squares. If you want to go fancy, having some sort of clear highlight (slow pulse, walking ants or whatever) will draw more attention to the fact that there's a call for action.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
In my opinion, there shouldn't be a dialog at all. Simply mark the two squares and have the coach click on the square itself, rather than having to connect dialog buttons to field squares. If you want to go fancy, having some sort of clear highlight (slow pulse, walking ants or whatever) will draw more attention to the fact that there's a call for action.

Simple and brilliant. You could even place a ball on each to make it easily visible.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2010 - 18:34
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

ummmm there appears to be a genius among us.