58 coaches online • Server time: 23:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I for one am happy with any ranking system. If it was the vizualised equivalent of a car with squared wheels, I'd be still happy I have something other to measure my improvement with than my own ego and the unwavering faith to be awesome (just like everyone else).

The 'displayed' ranking may not be the particularly most interesting thing as it is too fleeting and too much impacted by the way we approached the game with the last team we used.
The entire curve, the peaks and the lows, the average I believe tell a plenty informative story about a coaches success.

Some people have claimed that win percentage is a better indicator and if I had nothing else to go on I'd take it but lets be honest: If you think CR isn't the answer, win % is a joke. CR tries to address the difficulty of a matchup, % just doesn't.

Long story short... every attempt to circle the square(d car wheels) I appreciate. It's certainly worth the effort.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I think koadah is just worried, if the CR formula changes he'll have to rename the 145 club Smile

Quick question which hopefully isn't part of the secret Wink: assuming everything else is the same, if I lose as goblins against dwarves, will my rating drop less than if I lose against halflings? i.e. does the formula take into account harder/easier matchups? I'm guessing it does, since my rating hasn't dropped too much recently despite my playing mostly goblins...

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2014 - 16:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The reason I chose to not publish the exact details is because people have a tendency to find edge cases and exploit things. That being said, though, the current system has quite a lot of variables and it's hard to find specific systematic exploits.

At some point, I may go through the code and update the ranking help page with full details.. Those of you who are capable to finding loopholes in the system the way it works now might actually deserve a high CR anyway. Smile

In a sense, the system automatically adapts to the environment.

I also recommend people to not stare themselves blind on the numeric CR, but instead use the groupings (Star, Legend, etc). The double decimal precision of the CR itself has a tendency to be misunderstood to mean a very precise measurement of skill which simply isn't the case (nor is it possible).

Edit:
Also, regarding the 145 club, if I implemented a new system that changed to another numeric base, I might normalize around 150 in order to preserve the relevance of Koadah's efforts.

And another change that I might do is to fix an issue with the named rankings where a newcomer to the site is fixed at "Rookie", which has a dual purpose as the lowest ranked coaches. This is less than ideal, and is in need of fixing.
 Jump to: