90 coaches online • Server time: 20:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
EDIT - here you go:

https://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fumbbl.com&channel=%23fumbbl

(Thanks to Roland)

Quite a good idea to have this put on the community chat link.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

It's also in the Welcome to FUMBBL PM that I put together with some others for newer or rookie coaches.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Kam

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2015 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, don't get me wrong: I wouldn't fream about it if there was a chat box on the site, I simply think that sole link is enough even for the most reluctant coach. IMHO, IRC needs advertising more than another chat box.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the idea has been skewed a little bit (from what I had in mind when I made the post). My intention wasn't to replace IRC but provide a place direct on the search for game page for quick communication. Say you get a box match but at the same time you get the sudden urge to drop a MONSTER bog. You could say in the chat box "Hey Coach X, I'll be in the game shorty just got to tend to something real quick". Some will argue that you have PM's for that but as was mentioned by another user earlier, the more streamlined things are the better received they are by new users, especially the techtarded.

The box wouldn't be huge, so it wouldn't be suitable for extensive conversations. I mentioned a possible character limit earlier, to help curb the discussion towards brief interaction regarding the draft (for back box) or in ranked a quick chat to a coach you're chasing for a match vs.

Directly above the chat box would be the perfect spot for a direct link to the Mibbit in-browser IRC client with a label 'Join the discussion on #FumBBL!' and when you open it it'll load both #FumBBL and the channel specific to the portion of the site you are visiting.

IRC clients aren't the most friendly things to people who aren't tech savvy, so I think that upon joining a short system message containing the basic commands for the client in the FumBBL tab would be advantageous.

I'd suggest these commands to be listed:

/help
/list
/join [channel name]

They're probably the 3 core commands that a new user should know. It would be nice if /help showed more of the available commands (eg /list doesn't show u pin the /help command list)
Kam

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
IRC clients aren't the most friendly things to people who aren't tech savvy, so I think that upon joining a short system message containing the basic commands for the client in the FumBBL tab would be advantageous.

OK, I think most of the misunderstanding may come from this point. It sounds like the client you (and most people) use doesn't let you do anything if you don't know IRC commands. As said before, I use Xchat, and I have never used a command but the most useless one (/me) and /join (but that was only to save 2 clicks). Everything can be done graphically, so really, once it's configured to join FUMBBL chan (the 4 steps process explained earlier), all you need is a mouse.

I'm mentioning this because of your post, but also because of Christer's and because of a convo earlier on IRC with someone looking for a command when I simply had to click a button to do what he was after.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 09:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Kam wrote:
EDIT - here you go:

(Thanks to Roland)

For the record, this has been the case since January (although it also defaults your nickname to be your coach name).

Oh, and also.. Last night had the IRC chat very active. Thanks to those of you who spent their time chatting there Smile
Aussiown

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

For the record, this has been the case since January (although it also defaults your nickname to be your coach name).

For me it defaults to a random name.

@Kam, I was referring specifically to the Mibbit client, since it's the simple one-click solution that'll likely be used by casuals. There are plenty of friendlier IRC clients out there but, imo, choosing a client (and being able to recognize what are good features to have) for somebody with no previous knowledge of clients would be like an accountant trying to select which transformer to use when building a new suburb. Probably not the best analogy out there.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

On mobile but throwing out a suggestion: I remember that twitch chat is based on irc so why not work out something like that and embed that irc=chat -window to page?

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 14:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

tmoila wrote:
I remember that twitch chat is based on irc

You clearly haven't actually tried connecting to the twitch chat with a proper IRC client. It's not pretty... Smile
tmoila

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
tmoila wrote:
I remember that twitch chat is based on irc

You clearly haven't actually tried connecting to the twitch chat with a proper IRC client. It's not pretty... Smile

Yeah I haven't, it requires some authkey stuff 'n too much work to actually bother when watching streams and occasionally spamming Kappa. And it's doubtful it would add anything to my twitch experience.

What I ment that if embedding chat that is based on irc-network works in Twitch, wouldn't it be doable on FUMBBL too? I mean far less traffic due to smaller population and all.

Also there are large spaces around the current centered page layout that could be utilized to something like that.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

tmoila wrote:
Also there are large spaces around the current centered page layout that could be utilized to something like that.

Maybe on your screen resolution. Mine is pretty much filled, I barely even get any of the green borders showing...

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

tmoila wrote:

Most, if not all, great websites are designed to be around 1000px width aligned in the middle, filling up the entire screen is very very bad design.

In the end, it all isn't that easy to code/design a website... Having ideas is nice, but trust me, 99% of the time Christer already looked into it and decided it was not worthy.
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2015 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Quote:

OK, I think most of the misunderstanding may come from this point. It sounds like the client you (and most people) use doesn't let you do anything if you don't know IRC commands. As said before, I use Xchat, and I have never used a command but the most useless one (/me) and /join (but that was only to save 2 clicks). Everything can be done graphically, so really, once it's configured to join FUMBBL chan (the 4 steps process explained earlier), all you need is a mouse.

I'm mentioning this because of your post, but also because of Christer's and because of a convo earlier on IRC with someone looking for a command when I simply had to click a button to do what he was after.

I'm guessing this may be referring to me asking how to put up the afk message on IRC. As I use the mibbit one that doesn't require a download, the explanation you gave at the time didn't apply. Clicking on your nickname only brings up PM/who is/ignore.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
garyt1 wrote:
Kam wrote:
EDIT - here you go:

(Thanks to Roland)

Oh, and also.. Last night had the IRC chat very active. Thanks to those of you who spent their time chatting there Smile

Excellent!
Ok maybe we need a bigger chat button! Smile