36 coaches online • Server time: 02:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Desultory

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

After reading about the crowdfunding projects, it got me thinking that FUMBBL/christer maybe might not be making enough money from donations each year, to cover the cost of FUMBBL?

Maybe this is private information and that is fine, but I am interested/nosy as to how much it costs to run FUMBBL per year approximately, and a break down of costs.

I also wonder how much FUMBBL gets in donations each year? Are they taxed?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

would be nice to know what would be an ideal donation amount and frequency to maintain the site by its regular users.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 17:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know the numbers, but this question comes up quite often. I think the answer is that donations cover less than half of the monthly costs. The donation droves help a lot with replacing hardware.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
jdm

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd gladly up the amount I donate if it turned out the donations weren't covering the costs.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... is it time for another round of the Amateurs vs the Grid fundraiser? If so, I need a new challenge, there are only four races left to beat Ranked Amateurs and three of them avoid the Amateurs like the plague. We were going to pay out on first ties, but there's only one race left to tie us, and it's Nurgle (yuck).

Which reminds me I forgot to pay up. Will do over the next week.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Hmmm... is it time for another round of the Amateurs vs the Grid fundraiser? If so, I need a new challenge, there are only four races left to beat Ranked Amateurs and three of them avoid the Amateurs like the plague. We were going to pay out on first ties, but there's only one race left to tie us, and it's Nurgle (yuck).

I'm looking for a fundraiser team theme too JR. Maybe we could both do the same theme and have a little wager going between us too? Loser donates x amount in addition to money raised?

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Btw, which of the fundraising events, official and indivual run, have been the most successful?

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Christer does a good job of letting the userbase know when he has significant costs coming up, and not disclosing the amounts is a smart move on his part. The userbase in turn is awesome in providing the needed support. That said, making a habit of donating small amounts regularly would be appreciated by Christer I'm sure.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

If we knew roughly what fraction of costs are being covered by existing donations, we'd have a much better handle on if and how hard we have to fundraise. If it's half, we can all maybe chip in a little more. If it's close to 100%, we can pat ourselves on the back and only worry about fundraisers when Christer has a big expense to cover. If it's 10%, we can all thank Christer for the Herculean effort and expense, launch a massive fundraiser, and pledge to do better in the future.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I asked partly for the same reasons as Arkosis and Jackassrampant. If christer is making significant losses, and I don't include $x per hour labour costs, then I would be inclined to donate more. But in not knowing, I tend not to donate, as I am not very rich.

It is easy to say 'I only cover half of the costs'. But a statement from a guy I don't personally know (all due respect for the site), also isn't going to make me throw my money at the site.

It's none of my business how the finances are run, but if there was a transparent business account, or a charity account, with a transparent breakdown of costs, I personally would be inclined to donate more often and for greater amount. I'd also be inclined to advertise more, though I doubt my effectiveness.

But i'm also interested in how much a site like this cost to run.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:

I have a relatively take nurgle team you could attempt to tie. only 2 claws at 1900tv, and only one of those claws is attached to mighty blow. furthermore, not a single piler on the roster. sure you don't want to take them on?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

"nclude $x per hour labour costs"

I think Christer once said, we can't afford his hourly rate.

I think he takes a loss on finances on purpose so he can be in total control. If he's dependent on people for money, then they can start making demands.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I spoke to Christer recently, while trying to determine if moving the site out of his flat, and into the cloud was viable. I don't feel comfortable disclosing the full scope of the costs, I'd like to leave that up to him, but I will say that the site does cost Christer some money out of his pocket.

if that's an issue for him, or not, I don't know.
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 21:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

FUMBBL has a running cost of roughly $100 to $150 per month, which primarily is the power and bandwidth costs but also includes things like backups (Amazon S3), domain, DNS and certificates (SSL and code signing).

Donations cover maybe 80% of that on average, and I pay the balance myself.

On top of the running costs, there are hardware costs which are much more random in nature, and I do post about those on the front page. These can be up towards $2000 to buy (I generally speaking use desktop grade hardware to reduce costs and noise), but it's rarely a problem to get people to chip in for those costs when they're required. On average, it adds up to roughly the same amount as the running costs (ie, $100 to $150 per month).

And no, I don't charge for my time. At my workplace, an hour of my time costs a client well over what the site costs per month. Luckily, I don't do this as a second job and don't charge like that. I'd rather do this for free and get to decide what I develop and what I don't than charging $100 per hour and have to deal with requirements, estimates, budgets, reports, documentation, etc etc.. I have enough of that at work. Smile
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Now, what I mostly got from that was: Big C is minted, and he wants to buy us all a pony. Just one between us all, that is, not one each. That'd be silly.