63 coaches online • Server time: 19:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should FUMBBL adopt 2 minute turns as default?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
No
73%
 73%  [ 111 ]
Only in certain leagues
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 151

koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Learn summink new every day

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes not a big fan of moving the turn to 2 min as 2 mins is not a long that especially in big major game. But I am a fan of auto time-out in one off game in B and R but again not in major game. So a pause button may but a good alternative to the time-out button where you can use let say 3 times. Like to hear people thought?

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
I'd do away with timed turns and give each team a time bank to use for the half. If a complex turn takes longer than 4 mins, then so be it. It'll most likely be balanced by some faster turns. Run out of time and your remaining turns auto finish.
Maybe set the bank to 30mins per half so you know a game will last maybe an hour or so max

This is the perfect way to do it in my opinion. But then the question is, what is the penalty? When you have turn by turn limits, the penalty is your turn is over. Simple and not overly punitive. In chess you just lose. Ouch. I guess that instant loss threat would absolutely keep you inside the time limit.
stej

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess my suggestion there is your turns just play out as if you've taken no action each turn. Guess this would mean you could still get the win if you're ahead and the opponent can't get the score even with your players doing nothing.
Welsh_Cthulu

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

bakadon wrote:
Thought I'd respond after our "epic" dwarf v orc encounter (you know it Smile )that I think provoked this, or at least boiled you over. I think there was 3 or 4 turns that just went over the 4 mins limit and granted most of the other turns was then close to 4mins. (sorry) I have to say though that an Orc v Dwarf encounter, however novice I am (played for over 20 years since just before 2nd edition, ah the old polystyrene board I think if my memory doesn't fail me, which it often does lol) was an endurance fight as we pretty much had 11 players each left on the pitch by the end of the 2nd half (correct me if I'm wrong) and so greatly increased turn length (not to mention you losing :p I jest you seem like a nice guy with cool interests from our little chats, Red Warrior needs food badly)

I have to admit sometimes I potter around the house in the opponents turn so when I get back (yes I was listening for that beautiful sound, ding of my turn) I have to look at the board for 1 min before cracking out a 2 min turn. Correct me for being wrong but I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong, I have a 4min time limit and then the opponent can call me on it. Although being a novice I don't actually know if that ends my turn. Regardless I'm happy with that, I'm happy with a 4 min auto timeout (confused by whats been said because I haven't learnt all the rules of the site, I'm newish to trawling the site, get peaks of interest but none as much as now, always preferred the board game but my brother but he couldn't keep taking the beating), I'm also happy with a 3min auto timeout.

Showing my noob side to not reading enough of the website yet still after 20 years but isnt the Blackbox matching a 2 min time limit game?

I do keep meaning to jump in there to give it a bash.

BB is an amazing game and compromise if there was an option is good. I feel for you Welshy after our scrums, it was hurting my head also that game for the length of it, am sure you were never under 2 mins, generally because I was so tactically savy (you can clearly see Im not but I just love the game!).

Just my 2 pennies worth

Peace and fouls allowed despite not ever committing them Smile amazing board game and amazing site. x

I always enjoy pur games my friend, and it wasn't you at all Smile It was a general observation borne out of lots of games.

Yours wasa victory well won, even with your jammy 4+,3+ pickup and dodge to win!
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And here was me thinking someone had read the new rules and realised the 4min turn limit was gone and was starting the early campaign to keep it on FUMBBL.

I actually agree 4min is plenty/too much, but with the new rulebook you have about 0% chance of ever seeing 2min turns on FUMBBL, and the days of even a 4min turn limit may be dust.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The fun never ends then! Games can take forever, yay!
So, if new time limit is implemented, anything between 2 minutes and 3 minutes should be ok in my opinion.
2 minutes are ok for most turns and races, but think of hard to play races, 2 minutes could be not enough to play them properly.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %20, %2020 - %19:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Kondor

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
And here was me thinking someone had read the new rules and realised the 4min turn limit was gone and was starting the early campaign to keep it on FUMBBL.

I actually agree 4min is plenty/too much, but with the new rulebook you have about 0% chance of ever seeing 2min turns on FUMBBL, and the days of even a 4min turn limit may be dust.

Yikes! Will there be no turn limit at all? This could be sooooo frustratingly slow.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

'you join us as day 37 of the FUMBBL Cup final enters the afternoon session, and it looks like Endzone has completed his pre game defensive position, yes, he's done! Now it's Dominiks turn to set up. Early predictions see dice being rolled as early as the third month!'

thrilling times ahead.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

New stalling rule, every 30 seconds over 4mins, your team suffers a throw a rock event
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If there is no mention of the 4 minute per turn rule and timing out, this option will be disabled in the Competitive division.

Note, though, that "time stalling" will continue to be against the rules of the site.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The question is: how much time stalling is considered time stalling?
Honest question.
Welsh_Cthulu

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The question is: how much time stalling is considered time stalling?
Honest question.

It's not so much that, it's how you enforce it. It would be easy to code something into the client to MAKE an unopposed player move into the end zone without the need to roll any dice, before anyone else could take an action. So I guess stalling would be rendered impossible.

"The computer says SCORE!"
Welsh_Cthulu

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
thrilling times ahead.

he says without a HINT of sarcasm.... Wink
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2020 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess you are mistaking Time Wasting rule, which is a thing, with time stalling, i.e. deliberately not moving any player on your turn, or not choosing to use Stand Firm or Side Step and wasting real life time to grief the opponent.
 Jump to: