34 coaches online • Server time: 09:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the things we all get a chuckle at is how whene it seems like we've just rolled our 4th double skull of the game, we look up and see our "luck factor" is at 60%.

I'm curious to see if at the end of the match we can have a quick summary of our ALL our dice rolls for the game. Something real simple such as ;

1s 20%
2s 15%
3s 13%
4s 17%
5s 18%
6s 17%

Then we can see if all that bitching about skulls and missed dodges was legitimate or whining.

I know it would be extra work, but Christer looks so content sitting in front of his computer I figured he'd welcome the work. Smile
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

You'd have to ask SkiJunkie for that not Christer Smile.

-Mnemon
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 18:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well actually.. I created the luck calculation code.

-- Christer
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes - but I assume SkiJunkie would have to implement it in the client Smile.

-Mnemon
mamira

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that these percentages don't translate well into luck.

Rolling a six when you only need a 2 is not really lucky. Rolling a six when you need it is ...

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Rolling a six when you only need a 2 is not really lucky. Rolling a six when you need it is ...

I understand that. I also understand that a failed pick up on turn 16 could be much more critical thana failed pick up on turn 2. Trying to interpret when the 1s come is impossible. I just though it would be interesting to see how my rolls averaged out in the game. OK - so it's not REALLY luck factor, "dice factor" instead.

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you roll quite a few dice every game, I expect to see a list like that look pretty much even in most of the games. I don't believe it will give you much information about how your die rolls were, unless they were exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.
I also don't think the luck factor is a good representation because in most games you look at the luck factor at the end and both teams would be somewhere around 50%, maybe a bit more or a bit less, but in a lot of games, luck is really one sided, as in one team makes everything, while nothing works for the other team.
I don't see any way other than going through the log file and analyzing to to figure out how lucky or unlucky a team was.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I think problem with this "luck-o-meter" is that it doesn´t reflect how early in a turn you fail something (just a guess). If this is right a failure with your first moved player counts as much as the failed action attempt with your last player.

So to correct this would be fairly easy. Just take the number of players that could take an action (even stunned do take actions, they roll over) per team turn, count the number of players that finished their move and if you fail a roll, you count the number of players left + the one that failed AS FAILED, because they didn´t get the chance to do anything so they failed their action Wink

I know this is far from perfect, just a quick guess as I´m working on TSP algorithms atm, or should be at least, but I think it is more accurate than the actual calculation.

BUT: I don´t know if my assumption from the top is correct.

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2003 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

No it isn't.

Say you prepared a two turn touchdown, with a goodnumber of players in position to score and your last move of the turn ends in your thrower failing the pickup. At that point your defense is most likely rather weak and you opponent might have a simple task at not only making your "almost certain" touchdown close to impossible but also will get in a good scoring position her/himself - i.e. a fail after moving most of your players can be just as bad as one on the first move.

-Mnemon
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2003 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

so it all gets down to what: the program can´t know which are "important" rolls and which are not. Very Happy

But I still say that failing early in a turn is more dangerous to your drive than failing in the end of the turn. Just imagine: with Mnemon´s scenario from above: you have EVERY player except one exactly where you want him (well maybe not exactly but close enough), but if you fail your first action, you are doomed. Thats why blitzes and trapped wild animals can *beep* *bp* your tactics.

So no accurate luck calc, no whining about "bad luck" only thing that comforts me when I loose is that I AM a lousy coach, hehe.

I know and I believe.

G´Night

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2003 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to know on how many GFI attempts I fail. So the Dice rolls have to be put in categorys.
Like:

GFI: 1 = 70%,
Skulls = 30% etc...

we want a total statistic of all actions or team does in a match! Per player! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I.E.
Player X has played 30 matches, rolled 23 Skulls, failed 15 GFI's and failed 10 dodges on a 1. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2003 - 13:51Guest Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

Have you got a document which explains how are calulated the "luck factor"?

If not? Can someone explain how is it working?

Thanks,
deneb
deneb

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2003 - 13:10Guest Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody knows? Embarassed

even a quick one?

deneb
Heruwulfar

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2003 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

deneb wrote:
Nobody knows? Embarassed

even a quick one?

deneb

me wondering too
Rolling Eyes
Skar2

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

mamira wrote:

If you ask a mathematician, this line doesn´t make any sense, because it´s not important what you need for a success by calculation probabilities. And therefore I don´t think this is so important.

What do you want as a luck counter? Is it the luck itself or a combination of luck and intelligence of the player? When you are interested in luck of a player (like the name of the counter) you should only take the statistic of the made rolls into account and then no value for successful or unsuccessful actions. An intelligent player would make the safest moves before the critical moves and therefore have more successful actions (and higher luck). But what the hell does that have to do with luck? So, if you ask me, the luck value should be calculated ONLY by statistical reasons.

But another thing would be interesting, too. How risky is a player. A player who takes great risks in his movements (like lots of GFI or dodges or else), will have a very low luck value, because most of his turns will end up in a failure. Perhaps there is a way to find an extra value for the risk a player used to play. There it came into account what rolls a player has to do. It could be calculated by the needed rolls he have to make (without taking the outcome into account). It isn´t important how often a 5+ roll was successful for the risk-value, it should be important how often one has taken the risk of a 5+ roll.

In my "dreams" of a perfect calculation there would be several interesting value, like the average players not moved due to turnovers, or number of missed GFI´s or so on. But I think it would be a great advantage to get two different values in the intention described above. Perhaps the risk-value could be coupled to each team or each coach, too, which could be interesting. And I would be very interested in the correlation between risk and success of a team/coach.

-------------------------------------
Some thoughts of a mathematician about luck in blood bowl Smile
 Jump to: