48 coaches online • Server time: 18:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Just give them 1 illegal substitution instead of an apothecary? (Same price.)

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

0-4 goblin option... or even weapons? say a pumpwagon or 2?
I do remember the good old illegal substitution days. Those were indeed fun times, and the board full of annoying snots felt flavorful, and almost competitive
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

this could easily be done with a poll:

Are Ogres a lost cause?
Yes.
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like the design of the Ogre team, it's probably my favourite team. They could have gnoblars instead of snotlings, but hey.

Anyway, I think the problem is quantitative, not qualitative. Too few ogres, too expensive, expensive rerolls. How about this?

0-8 130k Ogres
60k RRs (orcs and goblins have 60k RRs, I think this is actually reasonable)
AV6 Snotlings (MA6 Snotlings feel wrong, and change a lot the style of the team)

This way you can have 5 Ogres and 3 RRs instead of only 2 RRs at the beginning. At 1520 TV you'd have 8 Ogres, 7 Snotlings, 4 RRs, 5 FF and Apo. Not competitive (probably still tier 3), but with 8 ogres they may be playable before CPOMB comes in.
Medon

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I played my first Ogre match yesterday and I liked it! Defense against cages is very strong. You can first throw a snotling to the ball carrier. If it misses chances are still high you will knock a corner down. And then blitz in with an Ogre to the ball carrier. I would say Pro would be a nice skill to reduce the bonehead events by half...?
Rabe

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro is great for big guys with Loner, but since Ogre ogres don't suffer from that (at least!), I'd value Block/Dodge way higher. I personally like Dodge a lot because it combines so well with Break Tackle. But Block is probably the more solid choice in the long run.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Block for first double, you ll get more mileage from it than Pro.
For second double either Dodge or Tackle.
Third could be Dodge/Tackle/sure hands/pro

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Macabeo wrote:
I actually like the design of the Ogre team, it's probably my favourite team. They could have gnoblars instead of snotlings, but hey.

Anyway, I think the problem is quantitative, not qualitative. Too few ogres, too expensive, expensive rerolls. How about this?

0-8 130k Ogres
60k RRs (orcs and goblins have 60k RRs, I think this is actually reasonable)
AV6 Snotlings (MA6 Snotlings feel wrong, and change a lot the style of the team)

This way you can have 5 Ogres and 3 RRs instead of only 2 RRs at the beginning. At 1520 TV you'd have 8 Ogres, 7 Snotlings, 4 RRs, 5 FF and Apo. Not competitive (probably still tier 3), but with 8 ogres they may be playable before CPOMB comes in.

bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

If both ogres and snots would be 10k cheaper, even then they would be a tier 3 team. I would go that route as human ogres should also be cheaper, and that would result no stat change.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Macabeo wrote:
Too few ogres, too expensive, expensive rerolls.

Agree. Yep.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I like ogres, even though they do royally suck balls.

I'm not certain what skills are good or bad; I always take Sure Hands as a first double on the team (I've always had one as a first skill, not sure if I'd take it on an ogre already skilled... would depend on first roll). I don't feel that Guard is all that useful - you're big guys should be bashing ok themselves, and they'll just go stupid and lose it anyway.

My box team have 2 break tackle/juggernaut players (and another with just juggs who is 1SPP from skill #2) who are great fun - dodging into cages on a 4+ is great. I'd love to get frenzy on one of those bad boys! I've got 2 piling on players who will probably get stand firm next. And my sure hands guy will get break tackle and then, um, dunno.

Snotlings: diving tackle, hope for double, retire. Would consider sure feet or catch to make an-almost viable one-turn attempt. I had a snot with +AG, but he very rarely used it, and then he died. Snotlings are for the most part TV bloat who should just get in the way.

tl;dr: ogres are a lost cause, but they're fun!

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Said it before, but will say it again. I had an Ag5, sure feet, sprint snotling in PBEM and a strong arm ogre. Once had a wood elf coach concede when I was winning 5-4 because it was "silly" Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
Said it before, but will say it again. I had an Ag5, sure feet, sprint snotling in PBEM and a strong arm ogre. Once had a wood elf coach concede when I was winning 5-4 because it was "silly" Smile

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres a lost cause because they give too many casualties to opponents. Killing a snot should not give you 2 spp's. We used to do a 3 for 1 deal when our friend played snotlings.
We have a problem when an ELF team can do this: https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3643488
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

NerdBird wrote:
Ogres a lost cause because they give too many casualties to opponents. Killing a snot should not give you 2 spp's. We used to do a 3 for 1 deal when our friend played snotlings.
We have a problem when an ELF team can do this: https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3643488

Er... that was a builder game against an all snotling team, and was designed specifically to give the elves as many SPP as possible. There was no competitive play involved.