35 coaches online • Server time: 13:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fela

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Adar wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:
Lakrillo wrote:
2. You can't, password is there for safety reasons.

Not having a way to save the password actually lowers the safety. As I for one changed my password from a fairly secure one to one that is short and easy to type because I have to type it every time I play/spec a game.

A lazy person with an easy password is still safer than a lazy person without a password.

Someone hacking your fumbbl account could at worst retire your teams (which can be restored by admins if it is obvious sabotage). Someone hacking your client means that they can wreck your team or cheat to strengthen their own team. So the password protects the most important thing you can do on Fumbbl.

You DO realize that both passwords are identical?
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I have mentioned it before, but will do so again here: the reason why it is not that easy to have a checkbox for "save password" is, that this client is not installed on your local harddrive and has in fact no access to your local harddrive! So there is no simple way to store that password. To be honest there is a much more elaborate way to do it using JavaWebStart services to start something akin to a cookie. It's quite some effort though and didn't get any high priority so far.
Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl wrote:
Grod wrote:
Yes, a good password should combine at least two dictionary words.

I + do? seems easy to type and easy to remeber. Maybe not that safe tough?

Well obviously not if you post it in forum, duh!

Oscar Wilde
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
Adar wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:
Lakrillo wrote:
2. You can't, password is there for safety reasons.

Not having a way to save the password actually lowers the safety. As I for one changed my password from a fairly secure one to one that is short and easy to type because I have to type it every time I play/spec a game.

A lazy person with an easy password is still safer than a lazy person without a password.

Someone hacking your fumbbl account could at worst retire your teams (which can be restored by admins if it is obvious sabotage). Someone hacking your client means that they can wreck your team or cheat to strengthen their own team. So the password protects the most important thing you can do on Fumbbl.

You DO realize that both passwords are identical?

Yes, but I am not sure on what you are talking about. Checking for your password every time you start a game means that the coach initiating the game must know the password. Only checking when you log into the site means that any person who share a computer and use auto log in may be replaced by an imposter.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
I have mentioned it before, but will do so again here: the reason why it is not that easy to have a checkbox for "save password" is, that this client is not installed on your local harddrive and has in fact no access to your local harddrive! So there is no simple way to store that password. To be honest there is a much more elaborate way to do it using JavaWebStart services to start something akin to a cookie. It's quite some effort though and didn't get any high priority so far.

Could you just provide the IP/MAC code or something in a callback to the server? Heck, even give the client a specific random identifier and use that... If the id matches the last id stored for the client use on the user with a successful password, then proceed, else prompt for password and then tell the server the new most recent id if successful
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

it only takes 2 seconds to type, its really not a big deal. Would you rather Kalimar et al spent time making it quicker to log on and answering these silly requests or would you rather they finished clearing the remaining bugs and got ball and chain, bombadier and wizards implemented.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
it only takes 2 seconds to type, its really not a big deal. Would you rather Kalimar et al spent time making it quicker to log on and answering these silly requests or would you rather they finished clearing the remaining bugs and got ball and chain, bombadier and wizards implemented.

I don't think it's a bad thing that people make low priority requests (it only shows an interest in the game)... As long as they do it in a nice and respectful manner.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I give the people making the client credit, and I have seen the splash screen 100 times now. keep showing it to my is vanity from there part.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

There's always one...
nin

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

WildAnimal wrote:
I give the people making the client credit, and I have seen the splash screen 100 times now. keep showing it to my is vanity from there part.

You have seen the splash screen little more (considering some disc. or symilar issues, wich this client handles quite well btw) than once every time you played or expectated a match (thanks to that same people)... may be you should reconsider your standards for vanity.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

WildAnimal wrote:

Be glad its not like an actual for-profit computer game, where despite getting actually paid to produce the game, the developers insist on showing you their logos every time you load it up for longer than the splash screen comes up!

Seriously though, this has to be a wind-up, right?
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2011 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

WildAnimal wrote:
Then please just remove the about/splash screen atleast! it annoys me!

Wah :*(

Jump to: