20 coaches online • Server time: 06:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

So, challenging a team lower in TR makes you looking for an easy game? Well, what about when my human team got all the way up to TR 265? Yes, there are other teams of about that level, but invariably none were being advertised at the times I was available to play, except a couple elven teams which declined playing me. (Heck, I had a chaos team of TR 250+ decline to play me!) Now, the only way I could get games in with the team was to challenge whoever actually was available, aka lower TR teams, sometimes quite a bit lower. I tried to keep the TS close (my TS was never as high as my TR), keeping the matches close. Most of the time they were, given the multiple handicaps my opponent would receive.

So does playing down make me a cherrypicker? Or just somebody trying to find a game? BTW, I did challenge up in TR as well, whomever I could get a game in with. Until a disaster game vs a stronger orc team, resulting in three niggles and two RIP. The team may never recover...

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

/off topic @AFK_Eagle: As a fan of Brooks and the Shannara series, it's good to see that Wil Ohmsford has lasted so long.
Must've lost them stones to pick up that niggler. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

A cherrypicker is someone who looks for easy glory.

Your team's rating/strength/skills do not determine how successful you are. It's the rating/str/skills of what opponents you accept challenges from. That's how successful you are.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I still prefer my definition. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG Delta that was funny as hell.. Total originality that time dude.. ding ding ding we have a winner folks.. TO FUNNY man..
We do have a slight problem with cherry picking at times i would guess. But as it goes all coaches have the oppertunity to check their respective opponents roster and decide if he wants to play that coach or not.. Its totally up to individual choice here people, lets not ridicule everyone for looking for the win, cause thats part of everyday life as i see it.. play hard and have fun thats what its all about... Smile
caileanhawk

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

In reality I like Ski's definition (the challenges that if reversed you would not choose to play), but Delta's response was the "best". Well done.

Personally I like to use Ski's definition, I look at both teams and if I would not play using the other persons team I will not make the offer. Which kinda sucks because there is usually so little available to choose from, and by the time you have looked at both teams the owner has already decided to play someone else Smile

This is why I like tournaments...you have to play your opponent no matter what race/coach. I thought factions would be like this but it seems that it is not...never make an orc team in faction.

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

And let's not forget one simple other fact, the one thing which can stop cherry-picking challenging cold...the other person first has to accept the challenge. A killer team can challenge all he wants all day long, but if the weaker teams don't accept the challenge to play him, he'll be forced to play somebody stronger and more commensurate. If the weaker team accepts, then it's more a matter of the lesser team hoping to play David to the higher ranked's Goliath. That's admirable on the part of the coach of the weaker team. (I hate how often I keep using the word "weaker" as that's not necessarily the case, but I'm not sure how else to couch the phrase.)

Off topic...yes, Wil Ohmsford has really shone through. He's currently tied for the lead for all-time completions by a human lineman on fumbbl, and it's just a matter of time til he passes it. The niggle got picked up, of course, by aging. That's how half the niggles my team has have come, via aging. I hate it. Sad (The other half have come from my apo failing in-game, along with multiple apo-failed RIP's. What am I paying this guy for anyway?)

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

caileanhawk wrote:
This is why I like tournaments...you have to play your opponent no matter what race/coach. I thought factions would be like this but it seems that it is not...never make an orc team in faction.

TRUE WORDS!!!

My best orc-team every died due to loneliness.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i wouldn't play a lot of the matches that i pick in reverse cause i try to pick matches against teams that touch stronger than mine that I think i can still win if i play well

reverse that and i have a stronger team playing against my own slightly worse team which if i play well should be an easy win

i turned down loads of games cause i thought they would be too easy to win
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
i wouldn't play a lot of the matches that i pick in reverse cause i try to pick matches against teams that touch stronger than mine that I think i can still win if i play well

reverse that and i have a stronger team playing against my own slightly worse team which if i play well should be an easy win

i turned down loads of games cause i thought they would be too easy to win

Good point, maybe SkiJunkie's definition could be amended to include: "you would refuse due to the game being too difficult for you."
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to challenge teams of about same TR, of TS if some players are missing.
But since I play lots of tournaments I don´t think much of a 10 or 20% off ratio, sometimes even higher.
I don´t look down on people that cherrypick because they want a fun match.
FX. those who prefer a 11 man on pitch TR, in favour of more players etc.
I however look down on those who do it, when it´s obvious that it´s never gonna be a fair match in any aspect.
And no it´s not cherrypicking playing those who are available, it´s the excact opposite

@Mithrilpoint
Well okay I might have "overpowered" you´re statement, saying a certain win.
Quote:

And no wonder people want to play matches that they think they have a good chance of winning. Because thats the purpose of any game - winning. There has to be a winner and a loser

And you´re right we disagree at some rather central points of "the fun at BB"
Obviously we all play to win, but I prefer a close 3-2 win, to the easy 5-0 victory.
Or more correctly I like to be challenged, and while i might be dissapointed that I didn´t win at the moment the match is over, it´s those matches I look back on with the best memories.
But so it is, and so it must be - we can´t all agree and that´s good, otherwise these posts would be rather boring and silly wouldn´t they ; )
caileanhawk

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

But Grumble...you are definately an exception to most rules Smile

And I as well have retired many teams due to boredom.

On a side note: I wish there were more tourneys for teams in my Time Zone (GMT-5), that is the one problem with tourneys...the mix of TZ's. Although a few have worked around it. I must admit that Mully runs a good tourney and Celas has put together a nice fast fourball tourney (3 weeks - 2 full seasons and 1 playoff, this Monday to finish the 2nd). I like the tourneys that run the same as celas's...same time every week, tourney organizers may want to look into this idea.

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
Delta

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Without going into lengthy detail, cherrypicking can be a two-way thing.
It's not just about a 'cherrypicker' challenging teams with biased match-ups. They also sit back and decline fair match-ups whenever they see something as too much of a challenge. Before too long someone will come along and offer them an easier match and bingo. They haven't hunted for the game, but they have still cherrypicked an easy match.

Of course, what do they do whilst waiting for this match? Well...back to the definition of a cherrypicker Laughing

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Just having a nose around...
milnestar

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I never turn down games where TR and ST are similar. I just take the rough with the smooth and enjoy the fight. I take great pride in a quote Aequitas gave me after a match recently

"Thanks for all the games Milnestar, you've got to be the most fearless coach I've ever played"

I dont care if my team is in for a rough game. Just a challenge and more fun. I just hope that when I play a team with superior TR and ST that the my coach doesnt take the pi*s and foul and stall as well.

To prove it PM me with a challenge and I'll take it