31 coaches online • Server time: 13:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2014 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven usually bring that natural one-turner anyway so there is no set-up that can stop them. Wink
Roland

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Skaven usually bring that natural one-turner anyway so there is no set-up that can stop them. Wink

yes, there is! it's called chainsaw-DP gangfoul Very Happy
straume

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

So...I saw the link at Reddit and suppose it is time to Necro the thread. This is interesting, and something I am not good at. Joe posted this as the best way to do it.

_ _ _ _ | X X X_ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _| _ _ _ _

_ X C _ | X _ _ X _ _ X| _ _ _ _

_ X _ _ | X _ _ X _ _ X| _ _ _ _

C= WE catcher assuming the pushes work out. To score from there he now needs: 4+ catch, 4+ dodge, 3+dodge, 2+ dodge, gfi, gfi, gfi = 39,8% with a reroll, 24,1% without

However, if you do like this:

_ X C _ | X _ _ X _ _ X| _ _ _ _

The same WE catcher would need 3+ catch, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 2+ dodge, gfi, gfi, gfi = 39,2% with a team reroll, 21,169 without.

So...the second setup is better. Or am I missing something or miscalculating something here?
straume

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Let`s try the same with against a pesky Gutter Runner:

_ X G _ | X _ _ X _ _ X| _ _ _ _

G= Gutter Runner again assuming pushes are done okay. 4+ catch, 4+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 2+ dodge, gfi, gfi = 39,3% with a team reroll, 19,29 without.

_ X G _ | X _ _ X _ _ X| _ _ _ _

3+catch, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 2+ dodge, gfi, gfi = 38,5% with a team reroll and 19,052 without.

Also here marginally better, unless I am missing something Smile
Squiglet

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I assume the issue would be an infield push putting the catcher on the right of your diagram giving him a 3+ 2+ dodge diagonally into the clear with 2 gfis = 79% with TRR
straume

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

And finally let`s play Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves and get some tackle on the pitch:

_ T C _ | T _ _ T _ _ T| _ _ _ _

T= Tackle player. C= WE catcher.

The cheating Wood Elf Catcher now gets: catch 4+, dodge4+, dodge 3+, dodge 2+ (with dodge), and gfi, gfi, gfi = 32,8% with reroll, 14% without.

The second set up:

_ T C _ | T _ _ T _ _ T| _ _ _ _

3+ catch, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge, 3+ dodge (with dodge), 3+dodge (with dodge), 2+ dodge (with dodge), gfi, gfi, gfi.

35,5% with a team reroll. 15,5% without. So with Tackle the first setup is better.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Couple of play creators here, if you ever get tired of typing Smile

http://www.thenaf.net/resources/playbooks/

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I read this entire thread through a week ago after stupidly misplacing players against a skaven coach (who almost burned me on it, but snaked the final gfi, talk about giving notice!). It's one of the best threads on fumbbl I've seen and I'd love to see more like it Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Squiglet wrote:
I assume the issue would be an infield push putting the catcher on the right of your diagram giving him a 3+ 2+ dodge diagonally into the clear with 2 gfis = 79% with TRR

True, but to get to that position it would take (edit:) 3 pushes (I think), and then it gets (edit: a bit more) complicated.

Last edited by straume on %b %17, %2016 - %13:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I do enjoy it myself, I have to say. I was a bit surprised by the luke-warmish reception the link received when I posted it, is there a better answer to the question on the Internet? The BB Internet is infamously light on good tactical discussion. Anyway, I digress, Reddit is (I suppose) a young format and as such will be a bit variable.

My thoughts have moved on a bit since the OP / bulk of the discussion, but not by orders of magnitude. I spent a while with 10 men before a tournament recently trying to work out what happens when I'm down on players. Because I'm sad like that. Could that be discussion phase 2? Wink
straume

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Ten man set up is a different cup of tea, yes. So that should really be phase 2.

I failed to see any conclusions on the 11 player defence, however, and would love to see it.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not in a time rich week right now, or I'd calculate and compare the default defence I currently use (which I arrived at by maths a little while ago and I forget the numbers now) to others. Although it absolutely doesn't have to be me; anyone as interested in the little things can drive it. Looks like you have the baton currently! Wink

So long as anyone reading the thread is inspired to do better than 'hands across the endzone', we're winning!
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Read all of it and have changed my tactics because of it!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Good man! Smile

I don't remember if we were LRB4 or CRP when the thread started. I guess that could be something to do with why the OP problem is framed as stopping a WE Catcher. Playing Frenzy makes the equation different, what if you're not defending with 11... It's an almost endlessly 'interesting' subject, if you're the type of nerd that is interested by the problem! Smile
straume

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2016 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
the default defence I currently use (which I arrived at by maths a little while ago

Okay, this got me interested. Are you saying you are using a different 11-player defence than one of the two I have outlined above?

Or are you talking about 10-player defence?
 Jump to: