72 coaches online • Server time: 23:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Olesh wrote:
If Christer had posted a thread, for example, "Discussion: Should FFB teams be kept or wiped?" and there was a post about it on the front page where everyone could see that this was a topic to be debated, then I think perhaps some folks would be more accepting of any decision made afterward.

I appreciate the sentiment, and I appreciate the idea of moving the teams to League also, but I don't agree with this.

The fact is, if Christer makes every decision as if by democracy, then there will always be winners and losers, and people complaining every time.

In fact, Christer does make the decisions, but he does actually read these forums without interacting in them, and he does actually gauge the feelings of the community before he makes his decisions.

The thing is, we have already had several forum threads where we discussed these very same issues, and Christer has in fact already been reading those posts before he made his current decision...

Oscar Wilde
Tomay

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
this thread is lol

just saying

Everything thats been talked about in the past 6 to 8 months compiled into one handy thread. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Olesh wrote:
If Christer had posted a thread, for example, "Discussion: Should FFB teams be kept or wiped?" and there was a post about it on the front page where everyone could see that this was a topic to be debated, then I think perhaps some folks would be more accepting of any decision made afterward.

I appreciate the sentiment, and I appreciate the idea of moving the teams to League also, but I don't agree with this.

The fact is, if Christer makes every decision as if by democracy, then there will always be winners and losers, and people complaining every time.

In fact, Christer does make the decisions, but he does actually read these forums without interacting in them, and he does actually gauge the feelings of the community before he makes his decisions.

The thing is, we have already had several forum threads where we discussed these very same issues, and Christer has in fact already been reading those posts before he made his current decision...

Serious question, who loses if FFB teams are moved to L?
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
and I appreciate the idea of moving the teams to League also, but I don't agree with this.

Why?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
it's been rumored for a long time that dicehacks for javabb existed, but nobody, to this day, has been able to prove it, and any blind statements of "yeah, you were able to do that here" are invalid...

--j

How was it not proven? Rynkky wrote the program, but didn't release it to the general public.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5237&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=122526#122526

soooo...someone saying "i wrote a dice predictor" is proof that it exists?...

so now we're believing every tiny thing that someone says without any tangible evidence whatsoever?...where's the screenshots?...where's the binaries?..etc etc etc?...a thread full of theorizing on how the dice systems work is not proof of a full-fledged program, neither is one person saying "oh i have one!"....admins have joked for years about the admin client, and it still hasn't been proven......

Carnis wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
it's been rumored for a long time that dicehacks for javabb existed, but nobody, to this day, has been able to prove it, and any blind statements of "yeah, you were able to do that here" are invalid...

--j

Although C himself admitted, that it would be very possible with JBB ;P, also afaik JBB and cyanide used mostly the same code for their RNGs.

A similar logical argument could be based on that alone, that would justify deleting all the R teams for possible abuse.

the difference is, the cyanide dice predictor has been proven as a real product...

nobody, to this day, has produced a real fumbbl dice predictor, excluding ROracle's hearsay threads of people dicetheorizing....

seriously...less conspiracy theory, people....

--j

ImageImage
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Lord.

This is the fastest the forum has moved in months, but the thread contains about three separate moot arguments and so much noise!

Let's get some perspective. C has made a call. Call will be delivered.

When has that ever gone badly wrong previously?!

Chaps and occasional chapette, let’s just enjoy the super-win that is newness!
swats

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Good Lord.

When has that ever gone badly wrong previously?!

This is the worst logic I have ever seen in my entire life.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
Grod wrote:
and I appreciate the idea of moving the teams to League also, but I don't agree with this.

Why?

I don't agree that if Christer specifically opened it up for debate, that there would be less argument. I explained why.

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Grod on %b %15, %2010 - %21:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
RandomOracle

shadow46x2 wrote:

nobody, to this day, has produced a real fumbbl dice predictor, excluding ROracle's hearsay threads of people dicetheorizing....

seriously...less conspiracy theory, people....

If you don't accept my hearsay, how about SkiJunkie's?

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=226540&highlight=#226540

SkiJunkie wrote:

What Rynkky did was show that WITHOUT hacking the client and merely sniffing traffic he could figure out how to not only predict die rolls but also choose what die rolls he wanted to use.

The hole that allowed the choosing of dice has been closed. If a hacked client is changing die rolls you WILL see messages in your client showing that the die rolls are out of sync. Unless they somehow persuaded you to install and use their hacked then you will see these messages if they try to choose/change die rolls. NOTE: It is important to know that network problems can cause these messages. So these message are not proof that your opponent is cheating, but it is an indication that you should close and restart the game to get everything working again.

As for the predicting of die rolls I am confident that it is no longer possible by merely watching the network traffic. You would have to decompile the client and figure out what the obfuscated code is doing internally before you could predict the die rolls. Possible, but difficult. If someone made this for themselves only they probably couldn't even affect 1% of the games on fumbbl. If they made this and distributed it then we would see it, learn how it works and change stuff to make the hacker have to start over from scratch.

Or Christer: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=226497#226497

Christer wrote:

Dice prediction. Yes, this is a very valid way of cheating. Has it been fixed? I don't know. I have not heard anything about SkiJunkie plugging this hole although I admit I haven't asked about it either.

I have, however, been doing random searches on the internet now and again to see of there is a wide-spread hack (never found one).

If SkiJunkie has indeed modified the client to solve this, I'll be officially impressed.
Purplegoo

Swats - You'll fit in here just fine... Wink

RO - I know you're flogging this thing, but FUMBBL has never been big enough for anyone to pull it off, imo. If someone were doing it long term and winning games they otherwise wouldn't via funny moves, we're too small not to notice.

Anyway, problem (if it ever was there to begin with) solved with FFB.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %15, %2010 - %22:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
RandomOracle wrote:
Grod wrote:

Why?

I don't agree that if Christer specifically opened it up for debate, that there would be less argument. I explained why.

I'm confused. Do you think it's a bad idea to allow current FFB teams to move to the [L] division?
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

swats wrote:

Serious question, who loses if FFB teams are moved to L?

You misunderstood me. I agree with the idea. But Christer involving himself in the debate will lead to more argument, not less. He DOES listen though Smile

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:

I'm confused. Do you think it's a bad idea to allow current FFB teams to move to the [L] division?

I think I was (possibly) the original person to suggest this, in a thread a long time ago Smile

Oscar Wilde
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:

I think I was (possibly) the original person to suggest this, in a thread a long time ago Smile

Ah, I guess I misunderstood your sentence then.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=18994&highlight=league

It never really took off then though Sad

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: