37 coaches online • Server time: 10:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Optihut

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

Are you sure they lost money due to the open license and not because D&D sucks big time?

...no matter what edition they're on.

Yeah, pretty sure - 3e was a damn good rule set.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

Are you sure they lost money due to the open license and not because D&D sucks big time?

Somehow this sounds like a more plausible reason. Word.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Whoa I'm pretty sure some one said D&D was once a great game... Yes in teh 70s. Levels suck. The game sucks. It was time to move to a better game...like 30 years ago.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Any roleplaying game sucks as much as the Master. Sorry if you were that unlucky, Shrap. I even had good fun using MERP - which in terms of game mechanics is worse than D&D 3.5 - because of the good mastering.
Shrap

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah...here is how I see it. Why use crappy rules when you can use good rules? To cater to the lowest common denominator. My GM is amazing...been playing roleplaying games for 30 years now including D&D for many of those. D&D is terrible. If you have a great DM you can have lots of fun still. You can have way more fun with better rules. I bet your DM wishes he was a GM or SG or ST instead though and wishes he had more openminded/better players otherwise why use such crappy rules?
Sorry for helping to derail this thread...has it not been derailed for a while though?
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
PainState wrote:

And then Wizards of the coast purchased them and decided to create an open game liscense and a D20 system. Created 3ED Dungeons and Dragons and after many years their own creation, open game liscense, came back to haunt them and the fans took over the game and even 3.5 D&D could not stop the bleeding of revenue.

So like all big companies they scrap D@D, and the open game liscense, and make 4.0 which is an abomination to all Dungeon and Dragon players older than the age of 25. Of course the move was made to bring in the younger, newer players but in the end put the nail in the coffin for that once great game.

%100 sure

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my support for the %100 comment....there are a lot more articles on this subject but here is one, it has some good links at the bottom.

Interesting article on how Open Game Liscense bit Wizards of the Coast in the Butt and forced them to come out with 4ED

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2009 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
This is my support for the %100 comment....there are a lot more articles on this subject but here is one, it has some good links at the bottom.

Interesting article on how Open Game Liscense bit Wizards of the Coast in the Butt and forced them to come out with 4ED

Wow... you have waaaay too much time on your hands dude.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2009 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

That is non sequitur. A quote from that article :
Quote:
and a previously ailing brand skyrocketed to superstar status within the RPG industry.

Companies act different based on how strong their position is, when the brand was weak the SRD/D20 was good for them ... when it became stronger a lack of SRD and open license became better for them. I doubt they lost money on any significant part of the 3.5e books. Hell I'm pretty sure that they lost more money on their website shenanigans and aborted game tool development (virtual table top) than they ever did on the 3.5e books which weren't profitable. All in all though this is completely irrelevant to the question at hand. Games Workshop will not change their minds, whether it is the right or wrong commercial decision for them is unimportant. What is the right decision for people who want to run automated leagues with unofficial clients?

Removing all trademarked/copyrighted terms/images and making some small changes favoured by the player base just to be safe like was done in the Scrabulous case mentioned earlier (a variant on the I Got My Eye On You mechanic added to LRB6 for instance) and hosting it in the US might be sufficient ... although a lawyer should be consulted to make sure of course.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2009 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Shrap wrote:
I bet your DM ... wishes he had more openminded/better players ...

Yeah, ad hominem always helps if you want to discuss.
Escalore

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2009 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to work for GW and have looked into legal matters both before and after leaving the company. I've had issue with them because of LARPs held as GW-product themed scenarios.

One solution is this:
Claim that all participants of FUMBBL are signed up for a con where events will take place containing GWs products. Mostly those products that they've sold the intellectual property to Fantasy Flight Games for. Any fees payed are entrance fees to the con and is not specific for GW-related events.

You'll still have to remove conflicting names and logos though.

Fortunately after the trials over several fileshare sites they cannot fault you for owning programs such as JavaBowl. You can always claim they were downloaded from a legitimate site such as Piratebay.org. Just provide the boolean searchengine terms and remove the direct link.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2009 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

ok...I retract my statement then.

though personally I liked Chaosium's Stormbringer (set in the world of Moorcock's Elric) much better than the D&D system.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2009 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone ever heard of HoL? The best Pen and paper RPG ever, in my opinion at least.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2009 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:
Shrap wrote:

what is to discuss? D&D sucks. Period. How is it better than other systems? It isn't except you can get more players to play it because more ppl want to murder and hoard treasure.
Sionis

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2009 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Shrap wrote:
f_alk wrote:
Shrap wrote:

what is to discuss? D&D sucks. Period. How is it better than other systems? It isn't except you can get more players to play it because more ppl want to murder and hoard treasure.

Sounds like what draws people to WoW.
 Jump to: