63 coaches online • Server time: 17:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dominik

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, if you can't choose the race you play against, you have to select a wider range of skills. But all those advantages, which Blackbox has compared to Ranked, are easy to convert into Ranked with the Quickmatch function. I hear the people asking for CR being affected by Blackbox games, with deletion of Blackbox and having Quickmatch for Ranked, all the needs for current Blackbox users would be satisfied.
But still its not even necessary to have Quickmatch (except the cut time for searching opponents) for ranked, because if I don't like to play with my Human vs Claw only Chaos, I don't have to. And if Chaos has only Claws in Blackbox (or in Quickmatch games), they will change their profile very soon if they want to stop loosing.

Well, why do I write this? I don't like the disunion of ranked and blackboxed teams. Lesser opponents, lesser strong teams (there were only a few strong teams on Gamefinder even before Blackbox), maybe lower quality of future Majors --> lesser fun.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see why future Ranked tournaments would have lesser qualities. Maybe they will turn out more balanced instead if people don't spend so much time grooming their teams for them.

I for one would love to compete in the Majors, but with the current situation in Ranked I don't have the time to build super teams to compete. In the long run perhaps super teams will disappear, causing a more stable and "people friendly" climate regarding the Majors.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

putting blackbox into ranked defeats the purpose of blackbox...

the intention of blackbox is to create a system that does not allow cherrypicking, or people to choose matches that cater to their need to pamper their team....

if people are able to join the blackbox system one game, then pick their opponent the next, then the whole point of blackbox has been defeated...

and if you don't like the blackbox system, nobody is forcing you to use it....

--j

ImageImage
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 04:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I dont see why BlackBox couldnt stay exactly as it is.

BUT.

Ranked get a similar device, called the 'quickbox' where R teams could choose to face other R teams instantly using the formula that will be perfected in B.

So blackbox stays pure to its ideals, and R gains the quick fix game making for those that want it there.

Isnt more options good? Or do B div coaches want the purity of that concept diluted by being the only place where you can find an instant fix?

Post 6 Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

SmilinMatt wrote:
You misspelled Cherry

Yes I did. And since Iam the author of this thread I reserve the right to butcher, destroy and untterly mangle the english written word, SO I will not go back and correct my misspell due to the fact that you pointed it out and publicly humiliated me on the forums. Embarassed
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Lill-Leif wrote:
PainState: Look inside yourself and you will see that the only true moral is the subjective one. Feel free to call me a Nihilist (you seem to like that word although Im not sure Nietzsche would say it would apply here in fumbbl) but don't do it based on some objective "truth" your silly God has created. Call me a Nihilist because your own personal moral tells you to.

Iam left speechless on how to respond to such a post. But I do think I used Nihilist in the proper text book definition in the original post.
Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

dominik:
stop that "i allready know everything, and can see right through you" attitude and reactions towards you MIGHT change as well.
now first: comparing in a whole division where you can compeete and compare teams to each other that were based on a fair (i dont know if [B] will be that, but closer to it than [R] imho) development is something that would NOT be supported by ranked + quickmatch.
second: playing vs a team that is exactly as good as yours and RIPs you due to skills/luck/whatever leaves a different impression when you see the team has only played 30TS down and vs elves so far, and you fought through dorfs and khemri.

now for the implementionists.
i dont want to stop yo from thinking, but in my opinion we should not start spreading systems throughout our fumbbl universe, wich are at ALPHA stage atm. nevertheless i like purples idea of adding a optional quickbox in the future for ranked.
and please... dont see blackbox as the cure for all picking, and dont see "hard bloody challenging" matches as the only purpose of fumbbl. you often dont need a 100% fair matchup to have a fun game. (oh and please dont even come up with stupid"play unranked" arguments...)

my 2 pence

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Dom, stop trying to keep alive a dying beast [R]

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
I dont see why BlackBox couldnt stay exactly as it is.

BUT.

Ranked get a similar device, called the 'quickbox' where R teams could choose to face other R teams instantly using the formula that will be perfected in B.

So blackbox stays pure to its ideals, and R gains the quick fix game making for those that want it there.

Isnt more options good? Or do B div coaches want the purity of that concept diluted by being the only place where you can find an instant fix?

i can see this might be a major problem for B. The main success of B I think is due to ppl being able to play games at set times and having that possibility in two divisions will be hurtful for both (with R coming out as the stronger one). On the other hand, the "R Quickbox" was the original B-div concept, no?

Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 07:59 Reply with quote Back to top

well if [B] becomes a problem because people prefer playing different, why dont let it have that problem than?

plus, blackbox had a great start for the testing phase, but so far , thats it

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

and yr city has no Pool! there i will not live!

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

See?

[R] will always have a place. Calcium and Dom would never be sure of expressing their love over a BB pitch in [B], they need to schedule their own little piece of heaven in a different division. Dom is also perfectly correct when he says that all [B] offers is a quickmatch function when you compare FUMBBL to other online games. But I'd suggest other games don't have the "problems" (bearing in mind the op I'll put that in quotation marks...) that our [R] system is perceived to have, hence the excitement!

There will always be a place for [R], but also for it's little brother [B].

Weirdly enough, at off-peak times it's probably easier even now in this spike of [B] games to find a fair game in [R]. Iff there are only 5 other coaches in the box, the chances of you being at equal TS are pretty sketchy!
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Follow the battle of nihilism and something-ism day-by-day on this graph!

Yesterday's big winner was apathy, as both Ranked and Blackbox games fell compared with Tuesday. Is this the beginning of the end for FUMBBL? Only time will tell, and it would be irresponsible to make a prediction now, but in the view of this commentator: yes.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Follow the battle of nihilism and something-ism day-by-day on this graph!

Yesterday's big winner was apathy, as both Ranked and Blackbox games fell compared with Tuesday. Is this the beginning of the end for FUMBBL? Only time will tell, and it would be irresponsible to make a prediction now, but in the view of this commentator: yes.

Fumbbl was down for part of yesterday.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't like a merge of [B] and [R] too.

I can't wait to test it out!

This week end I guess.