19 coaches online • Server time: 06:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think high turnover of players is unworkable, people may be missing the point here.

You get extra players (plague zombies) AFTER other players die. Even with the zombie rotting into piles of goo your team is still being sustained until you can afford to replce the positional that you lost in the first place.

The idea makes more sense than simply having an apothecary or regeneration and it makes the currently bland nurgle team into a really interesting one.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

From the various source articles, Nurgle teams in Blood Bowl have to have high turnover, because the rotters are supposed to decay gradually from the disease.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Znail's concept best. One chaos template with some add-ons. What they are, how many, cost? Not sure, but probably the simpler the team the better. The more special rules the worse.

I don't see Nurgle armies as soft goo that's easily dispatched or killed off. Nurgle is infamous for it's resilence. Yes they suffer from all sorts of disease, but Nurgle's breath sustains them and keeps them stronger than other mortals (that must survive by their own constitution).

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

And this nurgle team is as resilient as you could possibly hope for. FA stops them from being hit and regen on the key positionals keeps them alive (and unlike an apothecaryd player keeps them in the game). The fluff on nurgle armies does show many of nurgles troops simply rotting away. Its only really the 'chosen' few that manage to survive and derive any kind of benefit from their condition.

I did like the idea for customisable chaos but I think it may be unworkable. For instance I cant see a reliable khorne variant that wouldnt be overpowered.

If someone can come up with a decent suggestion by which the other 3 gods can be represented then go for it, but i'm afraid that Khorne and Tzeench especially would be overpowered and Slaneesh would be difficult to create due to their being no really suitable skills in bloodbowl (FA dosent really fit and would make them too rotterish).

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Inq, getting extra players from kills are fluff that rarely gives you anything. The number of extra losses from no doc and the negatrait suggested causes losses of at least 10 times as much as gained from kills.

The first suggested team would perhaps work if there was a zombie recruited from the spectators every match. The negatrait and a free each match would probobly balance out. The zombies would still be bad as they would be hard to get very experienced.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead have no trouble getting free zombies last time I checked. I've got a lovely zombified saurus and a really cute zombified amazon blitzer.

The zombies arent intended to be lasting members of you team, rather pus filled punchbags, that are tough to remove from the pitch.
Much like the undead zombies but with the added advantage of Foul apperance, stab and mutations access. If they do die its characterfull and interesting. If not you may one day end up with a zombie that actually does something other than getting in your opponents way.

At the rate a plague zombie is likely to progress it might be a long time until they have a significant chance of dying on an aging roll anyway.

With a complete team of FA you are also less likely to take casualties long term since your opponent effectivly ends up with a team of boneheaded players when it comes to hitting. In fact very very powerfull.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, from the Vault here's my latest compromise proposal:

NURGLE TEAMS
0-12 Plague Zombies 40,000 6 3 3 8 Foul Appearance G(M)
0-4 Pestigors 70,000 6 3 3 8 Foul Appearance, Horns GS(M)
0-4 Rotters 110,000 4 4 2 9 Foul Appearance, Regenerate, Sickly Stench GS(M)
0-1 Beast of Nurgle 140,000 4 5 1 9 Foul Appearance, Loner, Mighty Blow, No Hands, Really Stupid, Regenerate, Sickly Stench, Tentacles S(M)

SPECIAL RULES
A Nurgle team may not have an apothecary. Instead, if a player is blocked or fouled by a player from the Nurgle team and killed, then he is crossed off the opposing team roster as normal, but the Nurgle team may add a new Plague Zombie for free after the game when updating the team roster. However, the coach must roll a D6 for each Plague Zombie on the team list after the game. For each result of 1, some of the Plague Zombie's flesh rots away and his AV is lowered by one - when it drops to 1, he dissolves into a pool of goo, and you must cross him off the team list!

Foul Appearance (Mutation)
The player’s appearance is so horrible that any opposing player that wants to block the player (or use a special attack that takes the place of a block) must first roll a D6 and score 2 or more. If the opposing player rolls a 1 he is too revolted to make the block and it is wasted (though the opposing team does not suffer a turnover).

Sickly Stench (Mutation)
This player's rank odour of disease and decay is so overpowering that any player must subtract 1 from the D6 when they pass, intercept or catch the ball for each opposing player with Sickly Stench that is within three squares of them.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i believe the zombies should be priced a bit more, but other than that, it seems rather ok...

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

the zombies will stay 3,5 games with these stats, then they become hobgobs, then worse. it seems allright, only the new foul appearance sucks, i think i'd even take extra arms instead when given the choice Smile
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd much prefer the 'degeneration' of Zombies.

Very much alike the original fluff.

A plague zombie starts witht he following stats:

MA:4 ST:3 AG:2 AV:9

first skill; -AV
second skill; -AG
third skill; gain horns (actually one horn but what the heck)
fourth skill: -MA
fifth skill; -AV but gain thick skull

for example. Anything but the 'roll a 1 and you lose the player'

That would be instant death, not degeneration...
Shinan

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

m0nty wrote:
inq, the Nurgle roster has a long history in Blood Bowl that is significantly different to the WHFB fluff. It had a separate background - instead of being deriven from Warhammer's Nurgle army, it was supposed to be a normal Chaos team that got infected. Read the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels article for the BB background. Foul Appearance is obviously the hallmark skill of Nurgle, although nowadays it is very different to the one described in that article.

I remember that article. It was in a Citadel Journal wasn't it? We usually use those rules when playing, because they are so much funner 8^)

Of course we've never bothered with the LRB or anything and still use the Special Play Cards. (No reason to have bunch of cards lying around not being used now is there?)

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2004 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope still prefer the dying on a (1) on skill rolls. Whats the point in taking them now? They're going to degenerate really fast without you being able to do anything about it.

Oh well at least you dont have to give them mvp's now Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2004 - 07:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I enjoy Rotters the way they are currently. Yes they are a very fragile team, and can be frsutrating to play, but they're a niche team and should remain that way IMO.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2004 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

This lastest proposal looks playable at least. It may still need some tweaks, but at least its concept isnt broken.

Is it a deffinit plan to make mutations freely selected?
Znail

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2004 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I checked the Vault thread and found the first suggestion by Galak and I think that one would be alot more playable.

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0-12 Plague Zombie 30K 4/3/3/8 Foul Appearance G/M
0-4 Nurgle Beastman 80K 6/3/3/8 Foul Appearance, Horns G/S/M
0-4 Rotter 110K 4/4/2/9 Foul Appearance, Regenerate G/S/M
0-1 Beast of Nurgle 140K 4/5/1/9 Loner, Foul Appearance, Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, Regenerate, Tentacles S/M

Special team rule:
Nurgle teams may not use Apothecaries. Instead, if a player is blocked or fouled by a player from the Nurgle team and killed, then he is crossed off the opposing team roster as normal, but the Nurgle team may add a new Plauge Zombie to their roster for free after the
game
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also noticed in that thread that the split of FA is not sometyhing that he liked, so maybe its a good idea to not asume this will happen when making a list. Anyway, here is a mix of the diffrent suggestions that I think might work:

NURGLE TEAMS
0-12 Plague Zombies 30,000 5 3 3 8 Stab G(M)
0-4 Pestigors 80,000 6 3 3 8 Regenerate, Horns GS(M)
0-4 Rotters 110,000 4 4 2 9 Foul Appearance, Regenerate GS(M)
0-1 Beast of Nurgle 140,000 4 5 1 9 Foul Appearance, Loner, Mighty Blow, No Hands, Really Stupid, Regenerate, Tentacles S(M)

SPECIAL RULES
A Nurgle team may not have an apothecary. Instead, if a player is blocked or fouled by a player from the Nurgle team and killed, then he is crossed off the opposing team roster as normal, but the Nurgle team may add a new Plague Zombie for free after the game when updating the team roster. However, the coach must roll a D6 for each Plague Zombie on the team list after the game. For each result of 1, some of the Plague Zombie's flesh rots away and his AV is lowered by one - when it drops to 1, he dissolves into a pool of goo, and you must cross him off the team list!
 Jump to: