35 coaches online • Server time: 13:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lukastrika

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

saying joyce is dull is.... well... rather nonsensillable......

especially when you compare him to i write-45-same-books-with-a-few-new-characters-in-each-writers.....

but, to each there own...

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Like the race list at new team selection...so many good choices.

Tom Robbins is amazing on a variety of levels...I like all his books but reserve a special place for Jitterbug Perfume.

I too like Mr. Feist but also understand the arguments leveled against him.

Assasin series by Robin Hobb was a delight. Also quite dig the Battle Axe trilogy by Sara Dougless.

Bill Bryson is a great read as well. While I like all his stuff his latest A Short Histoy of Nearly Everything is AWESOME.

Orson Scott Card! Phillp Pullman. John Irving. and so many others really.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I for instance like Madách Imre aswell as some mentioned above

The Tragedy of Man one of his best plays can be found here, alltough some of the original brilliance is lost on the translation its imo a very good read for all
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in a mood for scifi at the moment, and have been for a few years now, its not much fantasy i read nowadays.
My favourite authors right now are: Dan Simmons (the Hyperion saga is still some of the best and most beautiful litterature i have ever read), Peter F. Hamilton (no one writes space opera as him) and not to forget William Gibson (who invented the word cyberspace btw)

Other authors i really enjoy reading are: Tad Williams, JRR Tolkien & Frank Herbert (man does the Dune saga ever rock)

I cant forget good old Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman whose Dragonlance books more or less got me interested in the whole fantasy aspect to begin with.
ChangoLoco

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I must admit that I am suprised not to find any from my short list:
Kurt Vonnegut
Douglas Adams
Christopher Moore

There are plenty of other authors I like, but I don't know of anything by any of these authors I didn't like.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Harold Pinter is great.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Few that comes to mind this early in the morning, in no particular order;

H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
J.R.R. Tolkien
Jouko Turkka
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

for me in no perticualar order

R. Jorden, Ian Irvine, Tolkien, Fiest, Eirc Von Lusterbad, Prachett, Lian Hearn, Adams, Zahn, Stackenpole, Eddings

Thats all I can think of for the moment
(Currently reading Knife of Dreams)

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

For me (in no particular order, and as probably already said in one of the other forums somewhere...):

Roger Zelazny
Harry Harrison
Robert Rankin (possibly the funniest stuff ever - only person that regularly makes me chuckle and get strange looks from other people commuting to work at the same time...)
Shaun Hutson
Simon Clark
James Patterson

(Loads more, but those are the first that come to mind)

(Brad Osberg)
asperon

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

William Gibson and George R.R. Martin,

even if i mostly read history books these days.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Douglas Adams is only mentioned once? And in the third page? I'm astonished. The hitchhikers guide is the best book ever written, bar none!

I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and it was quite good. I think I've been way to focused on fantasy in my reading. So my favourite authors would be Terry Goodkind, Terry Pratchett and maybe Elizabeth Moon. Finally I must say that Robert Jordan is a remarkably good writer. When I think about Wheel of time I usually come to the conclusion that it has turned into some kind of soup opera and that the female characters are absurd but whenever I read a new book/reread I get sucked in immedietly; I guess he must have a very good style of writing.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2005 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Twice, his in mine and Changoloco oh forgot to add Frank and Brian Herbert, Kevin J Andersan to the list

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

lukastrika wrote:
saying joyce is dull is.... well... rather nonsensillable......

especially when you compare him to i write-45-same-books-with-a-few-new-characters-in-each-writers.....

but, to each there own...

Well I missed the part where I compared Joyce to any other writer. Maybe you can point out to me where in any of my posts I did that.

Second. If I recalled right I only said that Ulysses was dull and not Joyce as a writer. Ulysses is all that’s I ever tried to read of him. So Ulysses is the only book of Joyce I can really talk about.

Let’s not jump to conclusions and stick to facts.

I can only guess that the authors that you think I compared Joyce to is the 3 authors I mentioned in a different post as my favourite authors. So you call these anthers the ones that write 45 books about the “same”. When did Umberto Eco write the 45 books about the "same" with different characters in?.. Especially when quite a few of his books are about Semiotics and does not even have characters in them.

Come back when you got a sensible point

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
lukastrika

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

dear qaz, i was actually refering to the state of this thread as it was at the time i read it (looking better now Smile it stuck my eyes to read joyce being called dull compared to fantasy factory writers, which the thread almost exclusively consisted of (not that i often don't enjoy them as well)... so it was not your attitude or choice (i regard eco highly), it was the general contents of the thread, that was so inviting for some critique, and joyce was a trigger - as a shot in the wrong direction in my view.. on a side note - give the chap some more chance, do read it in english of course, hardly makes sense, imho, if digested differentlanguagely...

on a more constructive note

of the mentioned, i enjoy joyce, duh... gaiman
sometimes pratchett, adams of course (douglas, but i also liked watership down by his surname-sharer, richard), used to love tolkien, who didn't

vonnegut is also a briliant guy, bukowski can be amusing

jules vernes, shell silverstein,

jorge luis borges, cortasar

thomas bernhard - a brilliant guy, made me really read again after a year or three,

italo calvino

beckett

never ment to hurt your feelings, hope you'll find this point a bit more sensillable

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If you haven't read George Martin's Fire and Ice series you're doing yourselves a great disservice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553573403/qid=1135218759/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-2439063-5510321?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

I've read about 80% of the authors mentioned and I'm surprised Martin is mentioned more. Once you read his work, the rest is rubbish.

I really feel he will be seen as our generation's tolkien in the future
 Jump to: