32 coaches online • Server time: 09:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2016 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome work. Thank you for that.

You do have me with an extra game played as I have only played 2 games this half season (1 win and 1 draw). I went through the rest of the teams and everyone else looked spot on to me though.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2016 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the spot check! So many divisions up for grabs still!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok JR asked me to do the power rankings.
So here they are.
Note: Percentage displayed is based on win/tie/loss rather than points...
Strength of victory ignores in division games because it considers those games undecided at this point.

Image (image may take some time to get approved)

to enlarge it, just right click on the image and select view image...
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome!

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Formatting issues aside, very nice work. I know that I have issues with several programs keeping things lined up how I want them.

Don't drop the soap.
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate the new voice, but the only 4-0-0 team comes in at #7?

Sad.
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to argue that my team doesn't suffer from an inexperienced coach, just a bad one!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
I appreciate the new voice, but the only 4-0-0 team comes in at #7?

Sad.

I am sorry licker that I couldn't place you higher. I have been going over the possibilities several times, placing you on top, in third etc. I had you further up for the most part but ultimately couldn't hide away the fact that your opponents weren't exaclty the creme de la creme and your team doesn't instill confidence either.
It appears more to defy all odds and I am convinced that it was you on not your team that won those games. Since you have a flawless record its definitely possible I placed you too low. There is in fact no way to tell how good someone really is who didn't mess up. Just a way to tell how terrible they are not.
OTS

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2017 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

damn dude, you want to kick my dog on the way out the door too? Sad
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

But the point of power rankings (generally) is to rank teams in terms of what they have done and where they are at, not what they might be.

Else Grue and Kryten should be 1 and 2 forever Wink

Still, I'm happy you took the time and effort to do them, and any kvetching is just for fun Smile

I also don't understand...

Quote:
There is in fact no way to tell how good someone really is who didn't mess up. Just a way to tell how terrible they are not.

Isn't the fact that they didn't mess up evidence that they are 'good'? I mean grues team is beat to shit and he has 2 losses, but he is ranked 4th? Slann are not exactly a powerhouse race either. Sure I would bet on grue to beat me too (cept he didn't last time we played Wink), but this season his team is under-performing, but he gets the benefit of the doubt because you respect his ability to win games? Or because he 'messed up' so that proves how good he is?

Sorry, that logic is just bizarre to me.

Anyway, my opinion is that powerrankings are not supposed to be predictive, which it seems you think they should be. That's fine, but then they will just not change much ever during the course of a season, until/unless you are forced to because some teams never arrive at your prediction.

This all just goes back to real life power rankings (and how meaningless, but fun, they are). To use me as the example (because we are the only undefeated team), I don't get to pick my schedule, I don't get to pick my opponents, all I get to do is play whomever I get scheduled against. It's fair to say that the records of the teams I have played is poor, but it's poor partially because they have played me, and I beat all of them! I suppose you can say I didn't beat them 'convincingly' but this isn't basketball or football where margin of victory matters in the polls (though it's starting to matter less).

So what's my point with this? Nothing really, I enjoy these kinds of discussions about ultimately subjective polls, because it's interesting to see what other people consider as important when coming out with their rankings. Personally I prefer more objectively driven data analysis, so I tend to look at RPI or BPI (for college basketball) or some of the Tru-rankings for NBA, but of course ultimately none of that matters since the actual championships are won by the teams, not the rankings (save for college football where you need the ranking just to get invited).

I'm still a bit baffled as to why a 4-0-0 team isn't even top 5, but hey, it's your baby Smile
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, if this is the response being out of the top 5 gets, we should see what happens when he's out of the top 10 Wink
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Man, if this is the response being out of the top 5 gets, we should see what happens when he's out of the top 10 Wink

I'm guessing if I beat Pentalarc and go to 5-0-0 then I will be, since my opponents records will be even worse Wink

Hopefully Wreckage polls work out like ex-con predictions.

Hehe.
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't worry Licker I'm the lowest team for having 2 wins and just a loss myself pulling in at 20. Probably where I should be considering the team is crap. But just so you don't think he's basing it on team makeup vs coaching....wait...how is Grue #4 again?? I mean yea my team is crap...but I'd like to think my coaching makeups for some of it's short comings...
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

everyone knows licker sucks... next!
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2017 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Hopefully Wreckage polls work out like ex-con predictions.

Hehe.

It'll takes years of practice before he's ready to be as accurate as me

But really I was very surprised to be #6; my losses were a very close opener against grue and a final turn dropped pass that prevented a tie. However my wins are against the 28th and 32nd ranked teams, and my team didn't get built this offseason, leaving the roster void of enough useful linos. Still, as long as I can keep my seven veteran positionals alive, I'll always have a chance in the AFC Best

Don't drop the soap.
 Jump to: