20 coaches online • Server time: 03:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Fumbbl was down for part of yesterday.

Shush. It was apathy and the end of on-line BB as we knew it. Razz
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Humm, I've just started to notice...

may be...

hey, some great lovers of the cherry may be getting afraid that:
a) [R]anked gets depleted of cherrys and only the cherripickers remain.
b) They are denied their rigth share of glory, as nobody bothers with [R]anked any more.

I'd say that it's too soon to be afraid (or too late may be)
May be [R]anked survives (and becomes [A]cademy2 )

On the quickmatch thing, reverse argument:
There is no need for a quickmatch in [R]anked, there allready is BBox.

Why would anibody want a quickmatch in [R]anked?
To ensure [R]anked survival?
Or so that the meanest teams don't need to stalk the Gamefinder for hours to find a "balanced" game?
Imho, if [R]anked is good enougth, there is no need for a quickmatch feature to make it survive.

(plus, a [R]anked quickmatch could steal coaches from Bbox, hence killing a division, and there is that nihilistic misused argument again)
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

nin, don't forget another factor. A lot of coaches (I believe PainState is one) have long-lived, much-loved teams in Ranked. Those teams can't switch divisions. If [B] outstrips [R] entirely they risk being nearly unable to play with them.

Of course, the very fact that there are so many coaches with well-established teams in Ranked makes it seem unlikely to me that this would ever happen. But it's still a valid concern.

(And the top post could be describing (misplaced?) traditionalism, idealism, puritanism ... but no, not nihilism.)
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If [R] can be described as something objectively good, then the fear of leaving the division behind for [B] can be compared with the (nihilist?) phrase "God is dead". We killed [R] and God.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

boruppeter wrote:
Lill-Leif wrote:
(...)the only true moral is the subjective one (...) not (...) some objective "truth" your silly God has created.

This forum is not the place for (anti-)religious propaganda. Please post these kind of statements in appropriate forums outside FUMBBL.

this forum is not the place for hamster pics. please post hamster pics in appropriate hamster forums outside of fumbbl.
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
nin, don't forget another factor. A lot of coaches (I believe PainState is one) have long-lived, much-loved teams in Ranked. Those teams can't switch divisions. If [B] outstrips [R] entirely they risk being nearly unable to play with them.

Of course, the very fact that there are so many coaches with well-established teams in Ranked makes it seem unlikely to me that this would ever happen. But it's still a valid concern.

(And the top post could be describing (misplaced?) traditionalism, idealism, puritanism ... but no, not nihilism.)

I understand such concerns, like JanMattys sugestion about team transfers to BBox.

I was just making broad, inacurate statements (with some basis migth be). But it was not about all those posting here with preventions on the BBox, just with some.
And it was not intended as a (very) serious ) post

Much in the same line as stating that getting some thrill and illusion with a new division is somehow nihilistic (now I may be simplifiying a bit too, but not a lot)
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Nihilism as defined by Websters: there are 6 possible meanings of the word. The one I decided to use was this one.
The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions (or Ranked play on Fumbbl) is necessary for future improvement.

I decided to call it Nihilism because as I posted earlier I believe that a small minority of coaches believe that the only way to make Fumbbl fair and just is by destroying Ranked and replace it with the BOX, the talisman of fairness and proper Blood Bowl. Now we could go into a long winded and endless discussion of the Philosophical side of Nihilism, the politcal or religous versions of Nihilism, but I dont think we really want to go down that road. SO will the destruction of Ranked bring about all the sweeping changes to fumbbl that its small core of devotees believe it will?

Enough said from me on the definiton of Nihilism.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a number of plus 100 games teams in [R], that I am fond of, but am very hyappy to see em burn to play in [B] as the atmosphere is so much more fun.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

@nin:
Quote:
Or so that the meanest teams don't need to stalk the Gamefinder for hours to find a "balanced" game?

Don't worry, those who built up a mean team have the biggest fear in getting opponents with the same kind of team. For example 10x MB Guard TS 270 Orc vs 10x MB Guard TS 270 Orc. Coaches of TS 270 Orc teams won't use Quickmatch.

Quickmatch would enchance Ranked, although I wouldn't use it, but others could get fun of it, that is why I support such a function.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
I have a number of plus 100 games teams in [R], that I am fond of, but am very hyappy to see em burn to play in [B] as the atmosphere is so much more fun.

Yes yes, we get it... you like [B].

/me blacklists pythrr Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

nin wrote:
On the quickmatch thing, reverse argument:
There is no need for a quickmatch in [R]anked, there allready is BBox.

Why would anibody want a quickmatch in [R]anked?
To ensure [R]anked survival?
Imho, if [R]anked is good enougth, there is no need for a quickmatch feature to make it survive.

Well, i dont think ranked needs anything to survive, yet it would improove by implementing quickbox.

nin wrote:
(plus, a [R]anked quickmatch could steal coaches from Bbox, hence killing a division, and there is that nihilistic misused argument again)

Now, if that would be so, which would be the division that needs help to be kept alive? There is absolutelly no need to reduce a division, just because to keep another one safe and pure!

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2008 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Its just good to finally see a division have more games than ol' boring open Smile (it should have been stunty though!)
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Nihilism as defined by Websters: there are 6 possible meanings of the word. The one I decided to use was this one.
The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions (or Ranked play on Fumbbl) is necessary for future improvement.

Ah, that's the 19th century Russian political definition of nihilism. Not the philosophical one, and not the one people would generally expect to come across. Wink

Now ... let's talk Turgenev.
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Interestingly (ahem), whereas nihilist philosophers took up the word for their own, it was thrown as an epithet (just as it is being here) at Russian 19th century radical reformers, the suggestion being that, since they didn't believe in the social structures that were around at the moment, they didn't believe in anything at all. One can imagine the conversation running something like this:

Grand Duke Pain Staremetev: You crazy bomb-throwing nihilist! You don't accept the authority of the Tsar, the Church or the 40 TS rule! You don't believe in anything!

Tovarishch pythrrovich: Actually, we believe in a constitutional head of state - elected by popular vote - redistribution of the imperial demesne and rescinding of church privileges. And automatically assigned on-demand games with no roster restrictions.

GD: Don't you know that everything good about our society - order, security, national pride, BowlBot - relies on the very traditional pillars you're seeking to replace? Once you remove them it will all collapse, and we'll be left with nothing! Nihilist!

TP: Sorry, what was that? I was just lighting this bomb for Tovarishch Dribblesnot.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2008 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Up against the wall [R]ankers! Firing squad! fire!

Tovarishch pythrrovich

Jump to: