20 coaches online • Server time: 03:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WingedHuman

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a plan then. I gotta say that the +AG lino and my BL/Strip lino are alot more menacing that I originally thought.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Week 7 Power Rankings, Part I

Pole Position

1. Houston Texasaurus (5-1-0).
AFCS 1, AFC 1
Biggest Asset: Awesomeness. Only unbeaten team, six games into the season.
Going Forward: Keep winning through a tough-looking second half. Staying unbeaten would be great, but is unlikely.

2. New York Jetz (4-0-2).
AFCE 1, AFC 2
Biggest Asset: High-level overall development.
Going Forward: An easy series is good for a bye round, but they can't drop "should win" games.

3. Nawlins Angst (4-0-2).
NFCS 1, NFC 1
Biggest Asset: What, only five ClawPOMBers? Getting soft, Brasky.
Going Forward: Just keep winning division games.

4. Minnesota Wolfkings (4-0-2).
NFCN 1, NFC 2
Biggest Asset: Skill players, especially Johnson, Williams, and both Weres.
Going Forward: Survive, win, farm.

5. Cleveland Drowns (4-1-1).
AFCN 1, AFC 3
Biggest Asset: Mutt-Mutt Flyton is the spearhead, but the squad behind him is looking good too.
Going Forward: Several players are nearing what looks to be the Block/Guard point: get them there.

6. Oakland Elf Raiders (4-1-1).
AFCW 1, AFC 4
Biggest Asset: An excellent toolbox, and plenty of skilled AG4 bodies.
Going Forward: Keep winning division games, that's the way.

7. San Dogo Chompers (3-2-1).
AFCW 2, AFC 5
Biggest Asset: Even with a string of deaths, the survivors are fearsome.
Going Forward: Win while rebuilding.

8. Pittsburgh Pirates (4-1-1)
AFCN 2, AFC 6
Biggest Asset: Much Claw goodness.
Going Forward: The Pirates vs Bulltrots mirror-match will be important this season.

9. Flashington Redheads (3-1-2)
NFCE 1, NFC 3
Biggest Asset: More Guard than you. A division sweep doesn't hurt, either.
Going Forward: Win in the division, win a couple other games. Build a POMBer or two.

10. Seattle SewerHawks (4-1-1).
NFCW 1, NFC 4
Biggest Asset: You can't keep a Skaven team down. Especially in the soft NFC West.
Going Forward: Out-win St. Louis. And beat them again.

11. Carolina Black Panther Party (4-0-2)
NFCS 2, NFC 5
Biggest Asset: See #11 above. Pro Elves will rebound from anything and everything.
Going Forward: Again, see above: this time #12. A bad division record is a bad bad thing.

12. Green Ball Attackers (3-0-2)
NFCN 2, NFC 6
Biggest Asset: Coach Happygrue playing his favorite game under optimal conditions.
Going Forward: Hope the carnage concentrates on the new players.

EDITED to account for Houston vs Tennessee game

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %14, %2013 - %06:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
licker

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Now these are some power rankings!

Keep on pimping for San Dogo, it makes them soft Wink
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Week 7 Power Rankings, Part II

In the Pack

13. New Angryland Bulltrots (4-0-2)
AFCE 2
Biggest Asset: A soft schedule.
Going Forward: If New Angryland can win the ones they're supposed to win, a Wildcard is possible.

14. Fangsas City Chiefs (3-1-2)
AFCW 3
Biggest Asset: Hmmm... I can think of six. Twelve if you count the fangs.
Going Forward: Win. Don't lose more than one Vamp.

15. Denver Mile Under Club (3-1-2)
AFCW 4
Biggest Asset: Very strong bashers.
Going Forward: A bad division record will haunt them: they must beat good teams, not just beat on them.

16. St. Louis Lambs (3-1-2)
NFCW 2
Biggest Asset: A whole lot of AG5.
Going Forward: Survive a bumpy last eight games, with Houston, Nawlins, and Atlatl on the menu.

17: Atlatl 'N' Falchions (2-2-2)
NFCS 2
Biggest Asset: Some really great doubles skills!
Going Forward: Recover, win some cross-divisional games, beat Jeffro again.

18: Philhala Arni (2-2-2)
NFCE 2
Power 3, Playoffs 3.
Biggest Asset: Coach Relezite ties games he should lose, which is why he's 2-2-2 and not 2-0-4.
Going Forward: Hold the Dendrophiles down, hope for luck in the rematch with Flashington.

19: Detroilet Sewer Lions (2-2-2)
NFCN 3
Biggest Asset: This team has its core endurance/control skills in place, and is ready to start building a toolbox.
Going Forward: They're still not firmly planted in "win now" mode: they need some hitters.

20: Arizona Undercards (1-2-2)
NFCW 3
Biggest Asset: Sneaky and tricksy.
Going Forward: Snake a few more improbable wins... gotta beat both St. Louis and Seattle.

21: Miami Krakens (2-1-3)
AFCE 3
Biggest Asset: Excellent development level for what they are.
Going Forward: Stop pushing it so hard, build a little, don't get killed.

22: Dallas Dendrophiliacs (2-0-4)
NFCE 3
Biggest Asset: Well, so much for a great Draft. At least the players are still on the roster.
Going Forward: Elf it hard, hope for a collapse from both Flashington and Philhala.

23: Baltimorc Waaaghvens (2-0-4)
AFCN 3
Biggest Asset: This team is sneaky and strong... especially when they show up.
Going Forward: See? Good things happen when you play games!

24: Jac'Sun-Ill Dark Stars (3-1-2)
AFCS 2
Biggest Asset: Most of the goodness of the Jag'Wires, none of the permanent injuries... except the kicker, who died in builders.
Going Forward: Can Elliott_The_Lame pick up where coach Smeat left off?

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %14, %2013 - %06:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Week 7 Power Rankings, Part III

In the Pits

25: Tennessee Titanz (1-1-4)
AFCS 3
Biggest Asset: Decent team, good coach, but it's just not happening. That's gotta be frustrating.
Going Forward: Endure, regain a little dignity. Try again next season.

26: Chicago Weres (1-0-5)
NFCN 4
Biggest Asset: The NFC North is much harder now: Loraxwolfsbane was no Oryx.
Going Forward: Beat on the division, build skill players, try to get to .500 total.

27: Dorfinapolis Drunkards (1-1-4)
AFCS 4
Biggest Asset: Better core skills than any other team at or near this level.
Going Forward: Win games in the division, play spoiler, build over time.

28: Ban Francisco's Footy Fighters (0-1-4)
Biggest Asset: A strong commitment in the draft signaled a long-term development project.
Going Forward: Protect what remains of the aforementioned investment, get some more SPP on the BOBs and the "good" Blitzers.

29: New York Ants (0-0-6)
Biggest Asset: SirOrange plays with heart. Too bad he didn't develop his team that way. Better "luck" (read: finish yer builders) next year, Orange!
Going Forward: Get some more Guard so Robert Faun doesn't get killed, and put some Mighty Blow on that Tackle. Draft a centerpiece next season.

30: Lothern Bay Bolt-Throwers (0-2-4)
Biggest Asset: A pretty handy one-turn game.
Going Forward: Keep the statfreaks alive, rebuild for next season.

31: Sandcinnati Bengals (1-0-4)
Biggest Asset: ST5? Mr_Foulscumm is a fairly good coach, but this team is horribad.
Going forward: Pick a race that can compete next season. Khemri in the NBFL is bad mojo. Sad

32: Buffalo Hillbillies (0-1-5)
Biggest Asset: Who doesn't love Burgy? Also, Norse make good underdogs.
Going Forward: Hope the carnage levels out. Draft a star.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 06:40 Reply with quote Back to top

How does my 2 tie 4 loss record put me below 0-0-6, and 0-1-4? Are these rankings based on win/loss percentage, team build, CR? Just curious as to how you came up with these?

Oh, and lastly... If I still had my 2 guard linos, would I be higher in the listing?

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Fun times! I like the power rankings.
Tzij

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

WingedHuman wrote:
How does my 2 tie 4 loss record put me below 0-0-6, and 0-1-4? Are these rankings based on win/loss percentage, team build, CR? Just curious as to how you came up with these?

Oh, and lastly... If I still had my 2 guard linos, would I be higher in the listing?

I want to say this set of rankings had to do with team potential along with record. Dunno though.

Even with my record, top 5 seems very.. generous. Let's put it that way.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

All good questions, WH.

My criteria are:
#1 Where are you in the Superbowl chase?
#2 How do I see your team trending?
#3 Who do I think would tend to win between your team and other teams in a similar spot?

Record plays strongly into #1, but that is the only way I consider it. I see you as pretty much the 4th place team in the NFCS this season no matter what: the other three are just too scary this year, and you came in knowing you would be building for the future. That, and the "building for the future" part has thus far yielded mixed results.

By contrast, SirOrange at 0-0-6 has softer competition overall (though you had a couple of games easier than anything he had), and has lost some nailbiters. He also has a build plan. The fact that it's yielded nothing but L results thus far, don't get me wrong, that will give you a bad ranking, but the only way it will guarantee you the bottom spot (or even all that close to it) is if everyone else has wins, or if it looks like you might run the table at 0-0-14. It doesn't help that his team has somehow managed to remain intact through the reaming.

Note also that JRPR differences within the same category aren't really important, except maybe within the top five or so (and from this point on in the season, whether or not you break the top six in your conference). And sometimes JRPR differences up to 10 places between categories aren't important. For example, we (Redheads) own the NFC East lead at the half at this point, but if the Arni manage to beat Denver, it will just be a tiebreaker and the 10-point gap between the two teams an ephemeral artifact of the playoff system. If Denver wins, the difference is substantial but not dramatic. That's 10 points of power rankings right there, means almost nothing.

Being 30th mostly means you've struggled to build and aren't in likely playoff range, doesn't mean you're not as good as or doing as well as the 29th or 28th or even 25th best team by some reasonable standard (I mean, you tied Atlatl and out-Cas'ed the Jetz...), it just means the way my tiebreaker narrative came down, the teams with the least to show for the worst beating got ranked lower than the teams with the fewest VP.

If you'd built your expansion draft pick, you'd be in the mid 20s probably. You already know I think it was an error to cut those Guards, and I'm sure that didn't help your position, but it's just part of the story, two deaths. You've taken bad damage, and at this point in the season I'm downgrading for that, 'cause there's a lot left to play, but we've been playing long enough to accumulate some grief.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Love the ranking, especially because it gives the possiblity to agree or disagree.

And..in regards to disagreing Smile

Why do the top teams of AFCN continue to have such low positions. despite having a better win/loss ratio and winning against the teams in front of them?
Both Cleveland and Pittsburgh should be ranked higher, addording to your own criteria

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I didn't consider #5 and #8 to be low. It might just be that I have to keep Cleveland above Pittsburgh, and Cleveland is an expansion team and a game behind, so underrating them a little feels like I'm being respectful of the developed squads. I suppose I could put Cleveland above Minnesota, that would make a lot of sense. Minnesota is cruising for a bye round, but they lost to Pittsburgh, and they have two division competitors. I would probably have the shoe on the other foot if Fouly loses or forfeits, but certainly not if he upsets the Drowns. Either way, the two teams sort 'em out in Week 7, so being back-to-back is a lot of fun (if you examine the rankings carefully, you'll see that I do that a few times every week). Also, to some extent Cleveland is a glass cannon: anything bad that happens to Mutt-Mutt will reverberate through the squad, while Minny has actual skill player depth at quality.

I could have, and maybe should have, put you above Kryten. Won't be the first time a coach has skated a spot on his laurels. We're sort of in a fuzzy phase where I give a little bit of a berth to teams that played in the championship rounds last season (was a lot at the outset): you'll see Green Ball falling, but it's a cushioned fall. If they keep falling in the second series, well, I'll look at the first series for trends, not the previous season.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in "the pits"...

but I'm #1 in the pits.

/happy

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2013 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll do the midpoint Power Rankings after Bullroarer and Burgun get their game in.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2013 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Krakens vs hillbillies Tuesday 10:00pm Eastern standard time.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2013 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I sure do get talked about a lot. If I didn't know better, I'd say I was popular or famous.
 Jump to: