66 coaches online • Server time: 15:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB 2 on PC: How do I...goto Post BB2016 Ranked, Leagu...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2017 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
As to why can't BB have its own nomenclature and be its own thing? Cause the heuristic of relating many of the concepts back to football saves me time. Lots of it.
I think incorporating some real-world sports terminology is fine, it saves mental effort for the people who understand the terminology in question. Ultimately, any BB lexicon needs to be its own thing. But that doesn't mean it can't borrow terms from sports when the concepts overlap.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2017 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
As to why can't BB have its own nomenclature and be its own thing? Cause the heuristic of relating many of the concepts back to football saves me time. Lots of it.
I think incorporating some real-world sports terminology is fine, it saves mental effort for the people who understand the terminology in question. Ultimately, any BB lexicon needs to be its own thing. But that doesn't mean it can't borrow terms from sports when the concepts overlap.

Of course, but the concepts have to actually overlap!

Weak side/strong side doesn't mean anything for BB frankly. Until you define it that is, and once you define it, it's not really the same thing as how it is used in Football.

That's been my contention anyway, I mean sure, I understand what is meant, but it feels as though the terminology is being forced to accommodate a different concept.

It's even worse with other terminology, especially positions I find, but again, that's just my soapbox, it's not as though the concepts are completely different, but the way the two games are played kind of make the use of the certain terms feel wrong.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2017 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Weak side/strong side doesn't mean anything for BB frankly. Until you define it that is, and once you define it, it's not really the same thing as how it is used in Football.
That's why I went to "play side" and "back side": it makes more sense in BB. They're dictated by the offense more than the defense, though the defense definitely has a say, by setting up asymmetrically, or using Kick, or getting a Blitz! or Perfect Defence, or something.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Back side to me sounds like it could refer to behind rather than the other flank.

For weak or strong side I would presume one weak side is the side/flank of the pitch that most of you players are on. Weak side is the opposite. Could also refer to weak side of the cage defence.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It's very hard to ensure that all of your terms are immediately obvious without explanation.

"Then I brought my blitzer down on the back-side ghoul —"
"Back-side?"
"Opposite of play-side."
"Oh."

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

One piece of notation that I use all the time is the "columns".

In my mind, the center column (center row on a FUMBBL pitch, but from a play-diagramming perspective, FUMBBL is played sideways) is called "0". The ones outside of that are called "L1" and "R1". The wide zone markers are between columns 3 and 4 on either side. The sideline is outside of column 7 (the last column) on either side.

This is REALLY useful for describing the line of scrimmage.

Code:
101 Line
- - - -|- - X X X - -|- - - -

303 Line
- - - -|X - - X - - X|- - - -

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

I am really capable of accepting crude translation kluges to convey a concept.

Wink
 Jump to: