38 coaches online • Server time: 12:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
I know what you mean Thomcat... And I do that... not succeding that often, as stallling just outside the endzone is nearly impossible to break open... Now you might say that is why i whine about it. But no... I just don't see the need for stalling when you can score... But again as i said before, I would rather loose a fun game than win a dull one... Fun over a win every day... Smile

You dont understand the need to stall rather than score? What if your a khemri team playing a woodelf team in a tournament semifinals? Imagine, his ko box is full of players, and you stunned a few more players from crowd pushing, so he might not have many players now, but next drive he will have quite a bit more, enough to score. If you scored now, you might as well concede, because hes gonna zip right past you with the ball for the winning touchdown. Or are you gonna wait until the last turn to score and go into overtime, where youll have time for another touchdown?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
But have you ever seen a football(soccer) player standing on the goalline and not trying to score, and choosing to run away with the ball instead? I havn't...

I know what you mean Thomcat... And I do that... not succeding that often, as stallling just outside the endzone is nearly impossible to break open... Now you might say that is why i whine about it. But no... I just don't see the need for stalling when you can score... But again as i said before, I would rather loose a fun game than win a dull one... Fun over a win every day... Smile

But have you ever seen a soccer player run to the corner flag and just try to hold the ball there.

Do you remember the days of unlimited pass backs to the goalkeeper?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
But have you ever seen a football(soccer) player standing on the goalline and not trying to score, and choosing to run away with the ball instead? I havn't..

Well, in ice hockey I have seen it. One legendary player did that in National Finals here in Finland.

He had the puck, and an empty net. And the goalie was few meters away from the net. He did not score, but waited. And the goalie rushed towards the goal, trying to save what he could. The player just waited until the last second until the goalie got to the puck. And then scored.

It was not stalling, as it took only few seconds from the clock. It was just to taunt the goalie. But still I had to say it Smile

And as you like to compare stalling to "real sports", you have to understand (as stated above) that BB has nothing to do with realism. In real life, there are no turns, no fumbbled stuff every 1in 6 times, etc.

In american football, stalling is called clock management. And it is something that coaches and players practise and do very much. Either to save time, or opposite.

And in ice hockey, if one team is plaing short handed, they stall. Many times they get the puck, go to opposite end of the rink, and then pass it all the way to their own end. Instead of trying to score. That way they take some 10-30 seconds from the clock, and reduces the opponent's time to score on powerplay.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I know... But basically I'm here to have fun, winning comes second. Stalling is booring. You say it's my own fault... Well maybe... But I played 80-85% of the my games in here against coaches who didn't stall... And we had fun and sometimes tight games. So I fail to see why it is so necessary to stall... I might be idealistic on this matter... But rather that than bored...

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling leads to brutallity...what more can the fans ask for ? imo
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You people keep saying you dont play to win, yet you seem awefully worried about what the opponent does with the ball

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
I know... But basically I'm here to have fun, winning comes second. Stalling is booring. You say it's my own fault... Well maybe... But I played 80-85% of the my games in here against coaches who didn't stall... And we had fun and sometimes tight games. So I fail to see why it is so necessary to stall... I might be idealistic on this matter... But rather that than bored...

You fail to see why it's so necessary to stall? Well, simple. People like to win. They enjoy winning. Stalling helps them win. I think it's very easy to see. I can see why you don't like stalling - but I don't agree with you. Also, just blacklist the coaches you don't want to play again and be done with it.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to point out... I didn't start the comparison to real life sports... And I am trying to understand the need for stalling when you can score not when you are on your own field for example...

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

stalling is not boring in my opinion.
they pose a challenge and i enjoy those, perhaps you dont.
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
But have you ever seen a football(soccer) player standing on the goalline and not trying to score, and choosing to run away with the ball instead? I havn't...

øhhh altså de trækker sig da tilbage når de er foran og trækker tiden alt de kan med at ligge og pive over alting hele tiden.

Just off the soccer reference in danish hehe

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I might be all wrong on this one... But still I find it hard to se the fun in standing infront of the endzone beeing able to score, and then waiting 4-5 turns because your opponent can't get to the ball. I would rather get the ball in play again to make some more fun plays... even though if this means my opponent will equalize... Maybe it's because I lack the tactical stalling genious or havn't seen the light yet.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Skolopender wrote:
I might be all wrong on this one... But still I find it hard to se the fun in standing infront of the endzone beeing able to score, and then waiting 4-5 turns because your opponent can't get to the ball. I would rather get the ball in play again to make some more fun plays... even though if this means my opponent will equalize... Maybe it's because I lack the tactical stalling genious or havn't seen the light yet.

Simple. If your opponent can't score - you have higher chances of winning. And people like winning. What's so hard about it?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

MelchiorX wrote:
This is so stupid. I bet all the people that hate stalling are the same who hate fouling and sex...

Lol... Fouling is a fun part of Blood Bowl. And for as for sex... Can't remeber since I had my Daughter... Wink
PandaPower

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

You people keep saying you dont play to win, yet you seem awefully worried about what the opponent does with the ball

No they are worried about being bored to death, not losing. That's like saying in a knock-about of footie, "Well... you don't play to win, so i'll just hold the ball."

P.S. I have nothing against stalling but usually apologise to my opponent when i do it, stalling is imo a valid tactic, but sometimes is overused (stalling the whole half is unacceptable for me).
Synn

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
And for as for sex... Can't remeber since I had my Daughter... Wink

I can't remember since i had your daughter either.....

**Rimshot**

I'll get my coat.

__Synn Very Happy Very Happy
 Jump to: