50 coaches online • Server time: 16:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Medon

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we turn it into a sponsored event? The highest bidder gets to be CAB’s first opponent?
stej

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not convinced the extra points for 3+ touchdowns would incentivise taking the risk of making a pass, unless there was no way your opponent could get a score if you failed (so just like now).

A win is a win. Why risk a draw to get a bonus point (unless it were the final game in a league and the bonus point would win the title).
Niessuh

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's show a little respect for CAB, it has contributed a lot to this thread, in fact if this thread has more than thirty pages it is thanks to him.

CAB is like that player determined on winning with halflings over and over again.

In internet forums there are never unanimous opinions, nor even about facts.
dabassman

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Niessuh wrote:
Let's show a little respect for CAB, it has contributed a lot to this thread, in fact if this thread has more than thirty pages it is thanks to him.

CAB is like that player determined on winning with halflings over and over again.

In internet forums there are never unanimous opinions, nor even about facts.

You played zero games here on FUMBBL, don't tell me what to do! Wink

You're probably CAB's playtester buddy at GW...
det

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

lol...this is getting so funny...

well, will defo spec CAB first game and see all this passing galore...or maybe not.
Niessuh

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

well, I use the old FUMBBL java client like ten years ago to keep playing a tabletop league with my friends when I have to went abroad to study with the Erasmus programme. That is why I am here. I just play tabletop, used to play BB2 but I am sooo tired of clawpombing :p

Surprisingly this is the busiest BB forum I know nowadays
det

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

then play here...con clawpombing here Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Niessuh wrote:

Surprisingly this is the busiest BB forum I know nowadays

I guess old fellers haven't figured out social media yet. Twisted Evil

A downside(?) is that a lot of the discussion is not only Fumbbl specific but Fumbbl Competitive Divisions specific.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Medon wrote:
Can we turn it into a sponsored event? The highest bidder gets to be CAB’s first opponent?

If it will be sponsored then I crave at least 60% of the earnings... I'm not cheap... Wink

I know that allot of people have problem with different opinions and ridiculing is part of that process... I'm old enough to not care and I also know how experienced I am with this game.

I know exactly how the game works and all the pros and cons... I don't pass the ball very often either. The difference is probably that when I play in a League setting I tend to risk a bit more to get more TD and for the most it works... If you happen to draw a game or even lose one now and then is insignificant if you can capitalise more on your wins.

In a League... at least the one we played in... I only need to get enough points to get to the play offs.

Then of course it is all about what opponents you have. In real life you don't want to alienate people who are new to the game so you play it a bit more loose and help them learn the game. If I'm up against an older friend who knows what they are doing the game usually look very different and there usually are more heavy words flying around... Wink

Any way... I have played enough BB1 and BB2 to know I don't like random games... In BB2 then 3/4 games are usually concedes, at least in some of the open leagues... I have no time to play in a more serious setting but this is just boring... and the CLAWPOMB there are just ridiculous and why I only play max 10 games with any team and never use that combination out of principal myself. The Piling On skill in and of itself are just a broken skill in my opinion which lead to too much snowballing by just throwing dice, no real tactics involved.

Last edited by CAB on %b %09, %2020 - %14:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

So, just play here on FUMBBL, where Piling On requires a team rr to be used.
Also, on FUMBBL people don't concede as easily as on BB2.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %09, %2020 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
CAB

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
So, just play here on FUMBBL, were Piling On requires a team rr to be used.
Also, on FUMBBL people don't concede as easily as on BB2.

With the new rules I actually might do that instead... even random games seem interesting if there is a 15 games limit before a redraft. Teams seem to be down to the levels where I find it fun to play the game.

But in general I prefer to play in a League setting so I might set up a League with some people I know and play the odd random game. I'm not likely to play allot of random games, there are many other computer games to compete for my time with that. Wink

My 11 year old son just started playing BB2 and so will likely want BB3 when that get out so I will likely be forced to play that as well.
I just need to indoctrinate him to play the board game in the future too. It is very hard to get an 11 year old to play on FUMBBL though... Sad ...would like that in a private League.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

CAB wrote:
Medon wrote:

If it will be sponsored then I crave at least 60% of the earnings... I'm not cheap... Wink

I dunno who you think you are mate, but it'll be 45/45 and 10 for the Commish. Take it or leave it.

Though if you do it in Secret League Open it could be 45% of quite a lot.
A lot of GPs that is.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

To get back to the actual subject. The rule would not be quite so bad if they had made sure to have at least 1 in accurate between accurate and WI. Change the highest value WI to I, at least that would have made more sense.

DrDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with nearly everyone here that the new passing rules are farcical. And why make them worse when it was already hardly ever worthwhile to pass?

We also need to look at the bigger picture. It's not only passing that has got worse. Leaping is worse. Even an elf will only be able to leap into a tight cage on a 5 now, or 4 with leap. Once in a cage it is then probably a - 2d block on the ballcarrier due to guard. Those are much worse odds than before, and it was well balanced before so why change it? In fact those odds are so bad now, it probably isn't even worth trying. Nerf to Break Tackle similarly makes that avenue worse too for dynamic bash blitzers like sauri, big guys and mummies with break tackle.

So basically they have just created a much more boring game, where all sides (but especially extreme bash sides like dwarfs) can just make a tight cage and slowly grind up the pitch. The game NEEDS realistic strategies to break a cage to make it interesting. The only realistic way for a non-bash team to stop them now will be to progressively dance back from them trying to keep a passive screen, or if not this for another bash team it will just be a rolling maul highly reliant on block dice. Or the terrible new fouling dynamic which I haven't even the heart to go into here. On offence a non-bash team will just have to try and use their movement to run like hell. But nerfing passing plays further plays into bash teams hands, there are cumulative impacts. Basically a team like dwarfs will now know the opposition can't realistically have passing even as a semi-reliable alternative threat, so that will squeeze the pitch - they can front up more and kill teams better without having to worry too much about one or two 'fullbacks'. Awful. The new jumping rules do not really offer much of an alternative - although any player can, it's just too unreliable (don't believe me? Look at how many good slann teams try to break a defensive line just by jumping through with a succession of linemen - they don't! Oh and they're removing slann too, one of the most genuinely interesting play styles in the game, that's wonderful too). But hey! At least when a side gets near the line they can't stall easily! Woohoo - so we'll just get a succession of almost unstoppable drives each, how wonderful. Not. I hate to sound doom and gloom but it sounds incredibly boring frankly compared to what we have now. And that's before we even get to the skill and tv threshold changes, which are a total mess and will lead to very similar min-max teams I fear for many sides.

The really sad thing for me is that under Jervis Johnson Blood Bowl had evolved into a really great game over decades, and I've seen that happen since playing 1st Edition in 1989. The third edition actually won the 1994 Origins Award for best game rules, and if anything little tweaks since then improved it. Have Games Workshop not heard of the saying 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. It feels like a bunch of new, young games designers have come in and said 'I'm going to make my stamp on this!'. The changes they have made are far too big, unbalanced and ill-considered, and will remove a lot of the diversity in teams and play styles. They've thrown the baby out with the bathwater, just made a complete mess of it.

I've been playing for years but am actually considering stopping now, like quite a few other experienced coaches that have declared as much on here. I'll be more interested in the odd NAF tabletop tournament where NAF will be allowing tournament organisers to use the old 'Classic' rules - and how telling that is! Many experienced coaches at the NAF who do a good job, obviously they are unimpressed with the new ruleset too. Maybe I'll play a bit more in League, or the Blackbox Trophy as at least the TV threshold and redrafting mess won't matter so much there. But I doubt I will enjoy it as much. I hate to be a doom-monger and I know some optimists will say 'try it and see' but I'm afraid I don't really buy into that - the above problems are all mathematical. If something is mathematically worse, then it's going to work out worse on the board. And if GW are reading and think I'm buying anything from them in this ridiculous new edition they can forget it - rant over! XD :/
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2020 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm glad I sorted that out then, we can all stop at 33 pages! Now we can all grab pitchforks and firebrands and march to Games Workshop HQ. I'll be in the front rank, don't worry I can shoot lazers out of my eyeballs.

In all seriousness, it's terrible - not just passing, nearly all of the changes. But would just like to add my ire is all towards GW, none of this is Christer's fault. FUMBBL has always had a policy of following the official rules and that is totally understandable.
 Jump to: