28 coaches online • Server time: 08:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll offer £20 to anyone who runs the halfling mangling union for a few months. Laughing

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Gatts wrote:
1. ...Some players would proceed to knock over the rats on the los, and some players would go for the ttm touchdown right away...
2. People who do not foul...
3. The "I'm gonne prove a pointers"...
4. For that matter, anyone playing halflings....
I think it's pretty obvious that even without mus or other groupings we play bloddbowl differently, with different intentions and goals.

Hey, my R halflings (Open at the time) had a winning record. Razz

Trying to win despite handicaps is still trying to play the same game towards the same end. The ultimate goal of playing at all is to enjoy oneself. This is something I took as a foregone conclusion. My mistake there. The goal of the game, however, is to score more points than your opponent. Let me know if you think the difference between the two is still unclear.

The points you listed above - while good ones - still include trying to actually win the game. Handicapping oneself or not, the intent is still the same. Play the game to have fun and playing the game means the attempt to score more points than your opponent - however you may wish to do so.

Point # 1 could also be considered applying a long term strategy towards winning more games. Attempt to skill up your BOBs before trying the risky play? Sounds like a sound attempt at winning to me. Moving the troll into position to assist on a block or foul instead and thus blowing a small but reasonable and clear chance of scoring would annoy me. Why? Because it's giving up on the actual point of the game itself. I don't mind the blocks or foul nearly as much as the lack of intent to actually play the game. Call it semantics if you want but that's just my take on it.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

That dosen't really happen though.

You'd have to be some kind of moron to pass up 3spps in order to foul something.

Lots of people seem to be operating under the assumption that EMU, Pest Control, Bodies for Nagash or the now defunct DMU were seeking any kind of real side objective other than winning.

In lots of cases the casualties that pop up in a match just happen to be the iceing on the cake after a win. You not only have the win, but you have something to talk about with your buddies and a nice tally of destruction.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

As a side note: Someone in chat told me that DMU was shut down due to pressure from the community, rather than any kind of official pressure from administrators.

Its a real shame that tournament organisers should feel the need to remove tournaments due to a negative reaction from some people.
DMU wasn't something I wanted any part of, but I didn't see any reason to force its removal.

The issue of constant mangling union seasons is a problem as far as I can see, but its a real shame that someone feels they should have to shut down due to public pressure.

The EMU has revelled in the cesspit of its own notoriety since its conception. I'd like to see the others doing the same.
On that basis I'd hope to see DMU back for a second season, just to make the point that the loudest shouters shouldn't always have their way.

Its still boring though Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, keep on mangling if you need to boost your egos in that way. I don't care. And i find it cowardly to start a union, to keep it flourishing and then shut it down because some people don't like it.

oh and FYI:
I loathe mangling unions, but I don't see why they should be shut down.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Pustus... i wont continue a group that is obviously so pointless that even my "friends" cant resist but critisise and mock in every post. Im sorry it wasnt original but it was never meant to be..... it was simply meant to be a challenge.... being new i didnt realise how little some fumbblers like a challenge

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

You know for all your talking you're not going to change the other side's view, or as JB would say, "You're just talking loud but saying nothing." I personally couldn't care less about these meta leagues, it is ranked, and I have no obligation to play any game I don't want to, so whatever floats your boat. However, as mentioned somewhere before, I think it would be nice, and shows a little common courtesy to label your teams with the affiliation you belong to (+ I know some of you already do this). This way an opponent would know what sort of meta game he's getting into by just looking at the team. It really doesn't take much of an effort on your part, and if an opponent accepts without looking at your team first, it's his own damn fault. Besides if you're not proud enough to show your affiliation like a badge, what's the point in being in it?

...oh yeah the maiming and the killing and pulling off the legs from the pouncy lil elves fru-layven mm-haiai.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
Pustus... i wont continue a group that is obviously so pointless that even my "friends" cant resist but critisise and mock in every post. Im sorry it wasnt original but it was never meant to be..... it was simply meant to be a challenge.... being new i didnt realise how little some fumbblers like a challenge

If your making reference to me I'd suggest you go back and re-read my posts.

I'd regard DMU as more of an irrelevance than a problem and I did offer sensible solutions to all mangling unions (the main one Bunny is now implamenting).

I doubt anyone really wanted it removed.

I'd suggest you start season 2 in the new year. Lock heads with some of the other organisers and develop a points system that fits the tournament better and draws less flak.

This is why conversations over the internet are problematic Rolling Eyes Mad

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Right... the point of this thread was not disbanding MUs, Hicks, I don't see why that was ever the point. I myself partook in a few MUs... I just wish that the scoring system was not so one sided.

If you remember, I had a lizzie team in the DMU. Why? Because nearly every other team was Chaos, Orc or Skaven. Since cas making was the game, and all the points based off the casualties, it really didn't make much sense for there to be other types of teams.

Now before people jump on me saying that they had an elf/humie/gobbo team in the DMU, you can agree that most of the teams were simply teams that cared more about the injury before anything else.

I'm sorry to see the DMU go... it was a nice change of pace and a fun thing to boot. I would have still played it regardless if I hadn't quit open gaming completely. You say the FUMBBL Community doesn't want a challenge? They do... they just don't want to always see it in the form of Claw/RSC/PO/DP all the time. What about Leap, or Pass Block? What about Diving Tackle or Sidestep? Even Frenzy should join that list.

The issue at hand was simply that the thread creator was annoyed at the final direction those MUs were going towards.

I thought the DMU was a fun and innovative idea, even though it borrowed from the EMU.

Z
tza

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:

Ah but it is indeed original:)

Plenty of leagues out there stealing candy from kids instead of picking on somebody their own size, wich is what those metaleagues should be all about no?

So for Kaos, start by giving 10 pts penalty for elves (not DEs - they're evil) zons etc, and have 'em play eachothers. Easy to claim king of the hill when your just fighting peasants.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

thank you for your kind comments raging but you and pustus are both wrong.....its not just about this thread and its not just about his comments on other threads.... i cant do it any more... i cant keep fighting the constant negativity...its beaten and consumed me.... i may be back tomorrow or i may not be back at all... but for now ill say thankyou to all the good friends ive made on fumbbl and goodbye....
i leave with one final piece of advice: there are much worse things that can happen to you in the course of your day than rolling some ones or your favorite imaginary man dying (believe me)... its not worth getting upset about.
Goodbye everyone... im sure ill see you soon

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

My point about DMU is that all leagues without a points structure that is devepolped over several seasons tend not to allow their participants any other option than to play for the kills other than the game.

The EMU season 4 had the same problem, hence me suggesting the points for touchdowns to correct the fault.
In that sense all MUs are 'fighting pesants'.

If the DMU dosen't go to a second season then its simply a failed league. If it does come back (as numerous people have pointed out), then it will improve, be more fun, be more sensible and draw less constructive critacism.

Last edited by Glomp on %b %21, %2004 - %21:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

AlcingRagoholic - thnx for your last post. I may have misinterpreted nyour original posts.

And i believe that Paul will be back with a new plan - I for one will help him. Something that all the community can enjoy or at least not be angered by......

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Simplistically, this is all really just a discussion on 2 different styles of Bloodbowl. The MU (Wuhan Style) typically invloves sitting back with the ball and trying to out bash your opponent through blocks/fouls until you have achieved enough of a numerical advantage to move the ball towards the opposing goal line without fear of being blitzed.

Once at the goal line, there is more opportunity to block/foul so that the opponent will have a tough time responding in the 2nd half. Typically a win in this type of game will also gain casualties and bonus points.

Now a good point that someone brought up is the coaches in these MUs typically already have this type of playing style and use this method to win games. Joining an MU is just a fun way of getting some type of "bonus" for playing this way.

So you can take away the MUs but the coaches will still play this way, so that seems a bit useless. At least coaches who havent been around alot can spot a MU team and choose not to play them.

So yet, although I also do not like them, I dont think they do any harm. It's not the MUs that might turn some coaches off, its the playing style of the coaches in them, and that usually doesnt change.

(sort of like the saying "guns dont kill people, people kill people)

Sorry if anyone was offended, I tried to be politically correct.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

All the MU-groups are based on schadenfreude. It's no surprise that DMU ends faster than the others, because the opponent's players are harder to hurt.

Jump to: